Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 06-20-2011, 02:45 PM   #181
ahc4353

Default Re: Game of Thrones

Quote:
Originally Posted by massphatness View Post
I want a funking DRAGON!
You just wanna climb up her leg like the one dragon did.
Old 06-20-2011, 04:51 PM   #182
Humpdebump
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chris
Trading: (1)
Humpdebump is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
YES PLEASE
Humpdebump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:04 PM   #183
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

I'm so depressed it's over.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 06:23 PM   #184
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

It won't be over for long, spring of 2012 is a much shorter lead time than Sopranos when it was off the air for 13 months or so.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:58 PM   #185
kickerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Would The Wire be the best show ever if they killed McNulty off in the 9th episode?
`The Wire` sucked hard. McNutty was the worst actor EVER!
Old 06-21-2011, 08:53 AM   #186
rebelknight
Feeling at Home

First Name: John
Trading: (1)
rebelknight will become famous soon enough

Watching through all the episodes a second time with my brother who is just starting the show. After only 2 episodes I've picked up on so much that I missed or forgot about. On another note I wasn't crazy about the season finale but I guess that's just because I'm too impatient to wait until spring 2012. Maybe it's time to start reading so I can find out sooner.
rebelknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 09:04 AM   #187
kickerb

Yea, I wasn't overly impressed with the Season Finale either. I understand we have a lot of things to look forward too next season and that this episode was filled with cliff-hangers.

After most episodes I was left really excited and overwhelmed by what was going on. The season ender just didn't do it for me. I actually got a little bored.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:05 AM   #188
kickerb

I really really wanted more with the white walkers. I realize that the show reflects the book, so I guess these creatures will develop more next season/book.
Old 06-22-2011, 06:06 PM   #189
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

I loved the finale. I hated that they killed of Ned, but as said it's part of the story. I actually love King Joffrey and think he's perfectly cast. So great how they can have someone that elicits so much hatred. Really gonna suck waiting for the rest of the series.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:34 AM   #190
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

just watched the last episode and thought they did a good job getting most of the main plot devices into the tv version

overall I thought they did a great job adapting to the screen and enjoyed watching
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:10 AM   #191
Wanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
You say that like there's something wrong with that, Al.
Old 07-05-2011, 05:16 AM   #192
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

First Name: Robert
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
Sawyer has disabled reputation

I just finally watched the 10 episodes of the first season. I just must not get it. Am I supposed to care about any of the families? I was really kind of hoping the horse people would come across the sea and wipe them all out.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:57 AM   #193
kickerb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawyer View Post
I just finally watched the 10 episodes of the first season. I just must not get it. Am I supposed to care about any of the families? I was really kind of hoping the horse people would come across the sea and wipe them all out.
If that were to happen, there would be no point in even having a book or show. The books are about the struggle for power, without the families/houses/kingdoms there would be no story-line.

Are you looking for a show that is solely about the Dothraki?
Old 07-05-2011, 10:01 AM   #194
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

Montecristo

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickerb View Post
If that were to happen, there would be no point in even having a book or show. The books are about the struggle for power, without the families/houses/kingdoms there would be no story-line.

Are you looking for a show that is solely about the Dothraki?
No. I am just saying in a struggle for power situation, shouldn't there be a house that you want to win? If there isn't, what is the point?
Old 07-05-2011, 12:03 PM   #195
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Maybe I'm tainted because I read the books, but it seemed overly apparent to me that the protagonist house of the series that you're supposed to cheer for is the Starks. They're the good guys in the book, and I felt they were portrayed well in the series, with the Lannisters (minus Tyrion) being the "Evil" house. Having talked to my friends (who haven't read the books) about this series, they were rooting for the Starks and were very surprised and pissed at Ned's storyline, so I'm not sure why you didn't feel like there was a house you should cheer for
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:14 PM   #196
agctribefan

Having just started reading the books and watching the whole season, I definitely found myself rooting for the Starks. I was definitely pissed about Ned. I couldn't believe that happened.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:23 PM   #197
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

Montecristo

I understand that they want you "cheer" for the Starks. It is hard though when they are naive and gullible. They also are not fit to lead, get pushed around and make foolish decisions. Granted I haven't read the books and I am only going off the show. But I would think they would have tried to make them more likeable if they wanted you to get emotionally attached to them.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:13 PM   #198
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

I think as a reader of the series, Martin doesn't really pick a family for you to side with. Sure the Starks seem like the good guys, but this whole series isn't about good guys or bad guys. Its about a kingdom in peril and the chaos that a vacuum of power creates.
Old 07-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #199
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

The thing that Martin did well with the books (in my opinion), was made you care about whatever main character you were reading about.

The Starks, while not cunning and loyal/honorable to a fault, have many main characters that you begin to care about and root for.

The Lannisters are cunning, manipulative individuals, but I found myself rooting for Tyrion, even when he was pitted against Catelyn. Believe it or not, as much of a ***** Jamie is (pompous, a real dick for pushing Bran out the window, and a creep for sleeping with his sister), in the later books you really start to care about him and root for him as well.

Daenerys wants to bring war to the Kingdom. I'm still rooting for her, even though she's out looking for revenge for the Targaryens even though the Targaryen that was overthrown was a terrible and insane king.

So yes, while many characters can't be labeled "good" or "evil" the fact remains that I hate Cersei, hated her from book 1 to book 4, loathe Joffery, and dislike Tywin...all being Lannisters just kind of puts me at odds with the Lannisters as a whole and I find myself rooting for anybody BUT them.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:36 AM   #200
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

I don't really care for the Frey's either Brutus, they are kind of a backwater storyline that just really didn't pique my interest at all.

I agree that there are many characters in the different families that you want to root for and others you don't. Cersei, like you I hate. Same as Joffery and Catelyn's insane sister and her equally insane boy from House Tully. And yes I find a soft spot in my reading heart for Daenerys as she was essentially sold into the position she was in by her conniving brother. It was a war that had nothing to do to her just her insane king relative.

This isn't really a story about X House, it's the story about his country in this period of time and what happened to each house.