Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-28-2011, 01:17 PM   #1
Dukeuni
RIP CS

Trading: (32)
RA
Dukeuni is on a distinguished road
Default San Fran B&M Worth Trying?

I will be attending a conference in San Fran next week. I will not have a car with me, and my hotel/conference is in the Fisherman's Warf area.

Are there any B&M's near by worth going to? I would like to find one with a decent Viaje selection since these are hard as heck to get online.

Any thoughts?
Dukeuni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #2
Dukeuni
RIP CS

RA
Default Re: San Fran B&M Worth Trying?

As a side note, any thoughts on these two near-by smoker friendly places:

The Occidental Cigar Club
471 Pine Street
San Francisco, CA 94104

(850) Cigar Bar and Grill
850 Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94133
Old 03-28-2011, 01:25 PM   #3
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeuni View Post
As a side note, any thoughts on these two near-by smoker friendly places:

The Occidental Cigar Club
471 Pine Street
San Francisco, CA 94104

(850) Cigar Bar and Grill
850 Montgomery Street
San Francisco, CA 94133
I've only been to the Occidental.

It is a great place to enjoy a cigar, however you will probably not find the difficult to find (or Viaje) cigars there! I suggest you bring your own!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
mariogolbee

I don't know anything at all about the Cigar Bar and Grill. Perhaps it's the place that shut down, perhaps not.

The Occidental is where the BABOTL usually goes to meet up with other BOTL visiting SF. It's got a very small, expensive selection. The point of going there is that they have a full bar that is smoker friendly. It's definitely worth going to.

When are you in town?
Old 03-28-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Dukeuni
RIP CS

RA

I plan on bringing my 5-count Cigar Caddy with me with some great sticks to smoke. Is Occidental a bar/restaurant place? Want to make sure no-one has a problem with me smoking cigars I did not purchase on premises. I have no problem dropping some good money on food and drinks, just prefer to smoke my own cigars.
Old 03-28-2011, 01:31 PM   #6
Dukeuni
RIP CS

RA

I will be in San Francisco from Saturday April 2 (get in to the airport around 1 p.m.) to Friday April 8 (fly out around 6 p.m.). Would love to see some other asylum BOTL during the trip!
Old 03-28-2011, 02:19 PM   #7
Skywalker
BABOTL

First Name: Dice
Trading: (18)
Partagas
Skywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud ofSkywalker has much to be proud of

Quote:
I plan on bringing my 5-count Cigar Caddy with me with some great sticks to smoke. Is Occidental a bar/restaurant place? Want to make sure no-one has a problem with me smoking cigars I did not purchase on premises. I have no problem dropping some good money on food and drinks, just prefer to smoke my own cigars.
You can buy drinks and smoke your own cigars. There used to be restaurants around the corner but I was told they burned down. It is a very relaxed environment! It reminds me of Cheers!

Smoke what you like!!!
Skywalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 02:58 PM   #8
mariogolbee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywalker View Post
You can buy drinks and smoke your own cigars. There used to be restaurants around the corner but I was told they burned down. It is a very relaxed environment! It reminds me of Cheers!
Old 03-28-2011, 03:21 PM   #9
Dukeuni
RIP CS

RA

Sounds like Occidental is the place to smoke! Probably head over there on Saturday to watch some college basketball. Do they have a nice TV to watch the games?
Old 03-28-2011, 03:42 PM   #10
South Shield
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Travis
Trading: (0)
South Shield will become famous soon enough

Cigar bar and grill is NOT a B&M. Its a grill that sells a couple of cheap cigars that you have to smoke outside.
South Shield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2011, 04:08 PM   #11
Dukeuni
RIP CS

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Shield View Post
Cigar bar and grill is NOT a B&M. Its a grill that sells a couple of cheap cigars that you have to smoke outside.
Well, that place is DEFINITELY off the list now.

Any other ideas for worth-while B&M's in the area that may carry some hard to find sticks?
Old 03-28-2011, 04:19 PM   #12
mariogolbee

Quote:

Any other ideas for worth-while B&M's in the area that may carry some hard to find sticks?
Grants Tobacconist.

http://www.grantspipeshop.com/

I've never been there. I hear it has very little room to smoke, but they are supposed to carry some HTF sticks IIRC.

Knicerbocker's is a great shop. But it's in Menlo Park.
Old 03-28-2011, 04:37 PM   #13
Mutombo

Quote:

Cigar Bar & Grill is not a B&M but is a great place to smoke a cigar in the city, I wouldn't scratch it off your list so quickly. The outdoor patio has lots of tables and chairs, as well as heatlamps for when it's colder outside. You can bring your own cigars to smoke. They have great happy hour specials on drinks and food as well as an extensive list of house cocktails, wine/beer, whiskies, scotches, and rums. This is a great place to visit, I was just there on Saturday night.

Occidental is also an awesome spot, the only bar in the city you can smoke indoors. The owners/bartenders are a lot of fun and very friendly. They also have a good scotch/whiskey/rum list and several tv's to watch sports on.

Haven't been to many of the B&M's in the city, I've heard Grant's is good but I mostly go to some of the B&M's south of SF in the peninsula.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:01 PM   #14
toasterhead
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Dave
Trading: (6)
Partagas
toasterhead is on a distinguished road

+1 on both places.

I visit SF every Jan. for bidness and have visited both several times. The Cigar Bar and Grill has live music so check the schedule and expect a cash cover charge at the door on music nights. It is a very comfortable place to smoke. Bring your own.

http://www.cigarbarandgrill.com/

The Occidental is small but very cool. I arrived one Sunday around 8 PM and the place was about to shut down. I ordered a drink and after a few texts the place was full of cigar reprobates in town for the convention. I made a new friend of the owner.

http://www.occidentalcigarclub.com/home.html

If you want to go really crazy....

http://www.vendettablu.com/

$$$ but I had a 1954 MC2 in the Fumo Blu Room with a nice rum that was other worldly.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 04-01-2011, 08:31 PM   #15
Tarks
Need to make a purchase!!

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (2)
Cohiba
Tarks is on a distinguished road

Sorry for the threadjack but I am also curious. I booked a flight to San Fran for end of July. Was hoping to get a few cigars in at the occidental. I am not familiar with SF, never been. What part of town is the occidental? Would you recommend staying in the area? If so, what hotels would you recommend that are within walking distance to the occidental?

Sorry and thanks!
Tarks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 03:57 AM   #16
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Grants Tobacconists is the best shop, if you're gonna be in the city. Good selection of smokes (make sure you ask if they have any of the George A. Rico lanceros). You can smoke there, but they require you to purchase a cigar. There's only 2 chairs and they are in the corner of the shop.

As far as smoking at night or anywhere else, Occidental is the best place in the city. Drinks, cigars, wifi, and lots of strange people.

Maybe I'll come up and have a smoke with you. I gotta check the calendar.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:01 PM   #17
Dukeuni
RIP CS

RA

Walked to Occidental at 6:30, only to find out they do not open until 7 p.m. I am now at Cathay House on Grant grabbing some food before heading back over to Occidental to watch the last part of the game.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 04-02-2011, 09:48 PM   #18
mariogolbee

Sorry I can't make it up there for a smoke.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:02 AM   #19
Dukeuni
RIP CS

RA

1:00 a.m.- long night, in a good way.

I went back to Occidental, only to talk to the owner and find out that the place was closed today because of a broken pipe in the basement. I guess there was no water up in the bar area. He recommended I go to 815.

Based on the prior statement that 815 only allows smoking in the outside area, I was not really looking forward too it that much, but I thought I would walk by there since it was only about 8 blocks away.

Let me tell you, 815 is a great place! Not many people at all when I got in. I noticed right away that this is not a "normal" porch. This really seems like a closed in area- some parts covered, lots of heat lamps, just a really nice area. On top of that, there is a side room off the porch that is completely covered, with nice couches to sit and smoke.

Shortly after I arrived another couple came in. I noticed pretty quick that the guy was carrying around a 10 count cigar caddy. We started talking, traded cigars, and ended-up hanging out for a good 4 hours.

The bar started to get filled up soon after we arrived. They had a latin salsa music band playing, and lots of folks dancing (most ladies were dressed-up).

The guy I hanged-out with, Nate, told me that he had been to Occidental each day this past week. He did not know about 815 until the owner also told him (right after I had left Occidental on my way to 815). Nate loved 815, and said if he would have known about it sooner he would have just been there each night with his wife Pam.

It was a great night, and now time for bed. I would have posted pictures, but my cellphone was dead for most of the night.
Old 04-03-2011, 11:14 PM   #20
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Take the bart down to walnut creek on Tuesday. A few babotl will be at the 601 event, Casa Belocosa.
Adriftpanda is offline   Reply With Quote