Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 09-21-2010, 07:55 PM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default RevSmoke's Blind Review wrap-up

Well, the two of the three contestants have turned in their 6th review, so I thought I'd start another thread to give you all the gory details.

Each contestant was sent 5 cigars to review blind (no info on what they were smoking - no bands, no cello). They received 1) J Fuego Delirium Minuto; 2) Punch Corona 10/98; 3) Famous Nic. Cam. Lonsdale; 4) AF DC Robusto; and a 5) La Riqueza #3. Their reviews of those particular sticks can be found at http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33337. I hope you go check it out. Their perceptions are rather interesting and rather varied.

Anyway, they weren't done. Wassup? Well, every 5er bag really has room for 6 cigars.

Anyway, each of these contestant got a different 6th cigar.

Peace of the Lord be with you.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:56 PM   #2
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Re: RevSmoke's Blind Review wrap-up

Fissure (AKA Steve) got me his review of his 6th stick a couple weeks ago. He wrote:

Cigar #6 has a ring gauge of 50 while being 6 inches long.

1. It has a medium brown wrapper that seems dry and fragile. The head and foot were a little cracked on the smoke.

Aesthetics score 2

2. Construction was nice and dense with no soft spots. Nicely rolled with a nice earthy spicy smell to it.

Construction Score 3.2

3. It had a very nice draw with just a little smoke pulling through. Lots of smoke with an almost white flaky ash.

Post Light Construction Score 4

4. This cigar stayed with the pre-light smell. Earthy with a little spice thrown in. It was a little harsh through the nose, but aging might help this. Although it wasn't very complex, it was a good smoke.

Flavor and Strength Score 3.2

5. The aftertaste has a light woody flavor to it. Some puffs leave a slight sweetness on the palate that I am not getting on the initial smoke.

Aftertaste score 3

6. The aroma is not unpleasant. It has a nice light earthy smell.

Aroma score 3

7. Even though the cigar did not change throughout the smoke, it fit one of the flavor profiles I enjoy.

Overall score 3.5

8. I would recommend this cigar to anyone. It was a good cigar.
Old 09-21-2010, 07:57 PM   #3
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Whadidee smoke?

A DPG Generoso.

Hey, Steve, thanks for playing. Hope you enjoyed yourself.

Last edited by RevSmoke; 09-21-2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: forgot the blessing
RevSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:58 PM   #4
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Next was dyieldin (AKA Dave). He got me his review a couple days ago.

.0 - 2.0 = poor/inferior quality 2.1 - 2.9 = fair 3.0 - 3.5 = good 3.5 - 4.5 = excellent 4.6 - 5.0 = superior

RevSmoke #6

1) Aesthetics: the look of the cigar is nice oily, somewhat coarse and dark, a nice milk chocolate color. There were a couple of big ugly veins. The cap was poorly cut and not put on well.
Score for aesthetics:*** 4.0

2) Pre-light Construction: There were no soft spots and it felt fairly tight and dense. All in all it seemed well rolled. It smelled a little sweet and musty.
Score for Pre-light construction: 4.5

3) Post-light Construction/How it smoked: It did draw very well and smoke pulls through on its own. The burn was very even. It did seem to smoke a little hotter than I like. The ash was almost white and flakey but held on well.
Score for post-light construction: 4.8

4) Flavor and strength: This is a Full-bodied, little fruity and cedar taste that I found to be very rich and direct. It also had a nice robust woody mouth to it that I found pleasant. It did build in flavor and strength as I smoke it. Very flavorful and somewhat complex.
Score for flavor and strength: 4.7

5) Finish/Aftertaste: This had a heavy cedary and strong finish this I like. It left a nice tingle on the tounge.
Score for aftertaste: 4.6

6) Aroma: This cigar had a good heavy floral and woodsy aroma that I am sure everyone around would like.
Score for aroma: 4.6

7) General Comments:
Did it remind you of something? A.Fuente?
Would you buy them? Yes.
Sum it up as you would to a friends ("That cigar was awesome!") This is the way a smoke should be.
Overall score for the cigar: 4.5

8) Recommendation: Highly Recommended. I like a cigar with a punch like this one. Warning: High nicotine content.
Old 09-21-2010, 08:00 PM   #5
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Dave's final stick was a Padron 3000 maduro.

Hey bud, I hope you enjoyed doing this, not everything was to your liking, but it is good to expand the horizons.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:02 PM   #6
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Kgoings is the last one outstanding with the review of his 6th stick. Kirk has been going through some tough times, so he's been in my prayers - I invite you to join me in those prayers.

When he gets that cigar smoked, he can post up his review right here and I'll then reveal what it was that he smoked.

Old 09-21-2010, 08:05 PM   #7
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

I don't know how many people really followed the review thread, but I thought I'd do something else to put up the last cigars

This is an opportunity to say thanks to the guys who reviewed these six cigars...

AND...

An opportunity to say thanks to those who followed the thread.

Hope you all enjoyed yourselves.

Old 09-21-2010, 09:28 PM   #8
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I don't know how many people really followed the review thread, but I thought I'd do something else to put up the last cigars

This is an opportunity to say thanks to the guys who reviewed these six cigars...

AND...

An opportunity to say thanks to those who followed the thread.

Hope you all enjoyed yourselves.

OH, I did!
Old 01-04-2011, 10:05 AM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Time to resurrect this thread - at least for a few moments. As you know, each of the reviewers received 6 cigars, the 6th being one that I had selected based upon their specific tastes. We have been awaiting the last reviewer to finish that final cigar.

Kgoings had that cigar this weekend. Here's his review. (it's size is 7X54)

Beautiful Cigar, the wrapper is smooth and a nice caramel color. No prominent veins, and no soft or hard spots.

Upon lighting the cigar has a nice earthy flavor. After a little bit the cigar developed a nice sweetness. By the end of the first third the flavor had be predominantly nutty, almost tasted like a roasted nut. A bit salty but still sweet.

The second third stayed with the salty but sweet and undertones of the earthy flavor.

In the last third, the salty nutty flavor become muted but the sweetness stuck around. And I noticed some undertones that were almost floral. I think it might have been there the whole time but I didn't notice it till late.

Very nice cigar, took me well over an hour and a half to smoke. Ash was nice and stayed a good inch/inch and a half. Somewhat of a complex cigar, had multiple flavors going on at the same time and changing out here and there. There were some other flavors I noticed but could not pin point.

Old 01-04-2011, 10:06 AM   #10
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
Time to resurrect this thread - at least for a few moments. As you know, each of the reviewers received 6 cigars, the 6th being one that I had selected based upon their specific tastes. We have been awaiting the last reviewer to finish that final cigar.

Kgoings had that cigar this weekend. Here's his review. (it's size is 7X54)

Beautiful Cigar, the wrapper is smooth and a nice caramel color. No prominent veins, and no soft or hard spots.

Upon lighting the cigar has a nice earthy flavor. After a little bit the cigar developed a nice sweetness. By the end of the first third the flavor had be predominantly nutty, almost tasted like a roasted nut. A bit salty but still sweet.

The second third stayed with the salty but sweet and undertones of the earthy flavor.

In the last third, the salty nutty flavor become muted but the sweetness stuck around. And I noticed some undertones that were almost floral. I think it might have been there the whole time but I didn't notice it till late.

Very nice cigar, took me well over an hour and a half to smoke. Ash was nice and stayed a good inch/inch and a half. Somewhat of a complex cigar, had multiple flavors going on at the same time and changing out here and there. There were some other flavors I noticed but could not pin point.

What was it that he smoked?

Last edited by RevSmoke; 01-04-2011 at 10:07 AM. Reason: punctuation
RevSmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2011, 10:08 AM   #11
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

HUpmann

Quote:
What was it that he smoked?
Oh yeah, forgot that.

Coronado Double Toro (by La Flor)
Old 01-04-2011, 10:29 AM   #12
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold