Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-27-2019, 03:39 PM   #1
borndead1
Ayatollah of Rock n Rolla

First Name: Mark
Trading: (7)
Partagas
borndead1 has a spectacular aura aboutborndead1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Losing some love for Pepin lately

Had a couple of nasty My Father lanceros, a really bad Cuban Classic, and I just snuffed out my first La Duena. Has production taken precedence over quality? The tobacco in all three of these cigars tasted...un-fermented? I dunno...I got a harsh chemical/ammonia taste in all three. And not just toward the nub, which isn't uncommon. I mean an inch or two into the cigar.

Bad luck? Am I the only one?
Old 01-27-2019, 03:46 PM   #2
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Losing some love for Pepin lately

Can't comment on the newer My Father stuff (as I haven't tried a bunch), but I still love the old JJ Series Maduros (from 2008). One of my top five smokes ever.

Also still enjoy the Cuban Classic, but again, still smoking 2008/2009 stock, haven't bought any of these in over ten years.

Mark...were these all recently purchased sticks? Or older sticks?
Old 01-27-2019, 04:10 PM   #3
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by borndead1 View Post
Had a couple of nasty My Father lanceros, a really bad Cuban Classic, and I just snuffed out my first La Duena. Has production taken precedence over quality? The tobacco in all three of these cigars tasted...un-fermented? I dunno...I got a harsh chemical/ammonia taste in all three. And not just toward the nub, which isn't uncommon. I mean an inch or two into the cigar.

Bad luck? Am I the only one?
I haven’t smoked a lot of Pepin lately but I am with you, the newer smokes have definitely fallen off. The older stuff that Mac mentioned are delicious!!
Old 01-27-2019, 04:17 PM   #4
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Aging does wonders for DPG smokes. If you're getting ammonia the cigar needs a long nap. Ammonia is a natural byproduct (their waste) of the predominate natural bacteria. At some point their own waste is too strong for them to survive. A secondary bacteria becomes active and their diet is the ammonia. Thankingfully their waste has that sweet dried fruit favor that makes for a great smoke.

Let them rest and look for the sweet smell of raisins, prunes and dried cherries on the foot.
You'll be happy you let them snooze.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:26 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

General took over those DPG blends a couple years after Mac cornered the market.
They all turned to poop immediately.
I can remember Vinnie bought me a couple boxes of DPG Maduro’s, Pepin rolled.
They were beyond comprehension good. Ethereal.
I don’t know what or if Pepin still rolls.
I just know the blends I enjoyed and my thoughts of the brand became worthless back around 2010-11.
I still cry at night sometimes.
It was such a beautiful time.
Old 01-27-2019, 05:47 PM   #6
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
General took over those DPG blends a couple years after Mac cornered the market.
??? link?
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 05:53 PM   #7
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
??? link?
patty??

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2019, 06:04 PM   #8
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

I used to love the old Vegas Cubanas and Blues. Can’t say I ever got on board with the My Fathers. If I had to buy a newer Pepin cigar, it’d be a Flor de Antillles. Guess I’ll have to try the new VGs for fun.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 01:29 AM   #9
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
patty??
I see what ya'll did there! Well done Tom.
Old 01-28-2019, 04:43 AM   #10
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough

ahhh this is a bit concerning for me...as of this moment i have 2 boxes of blues, 1 box black and 1 box JJ in the humidors!
i recently got into DPG after smoking a 5er of both black & blue...all of them were pretty good but 2 out of each 5 pack were *stunning* so i figured maybe it was more on my end for not having them in the right rh zone..ftr they only rested about 3-4 months before smoking, so definitely still young-
but yeah those 4 amazing DPG sticks i had were SO flavorful that i just had to stock up on more of this brand...im hoping that when i get to around to smoking them, that the odds are better than 2/5 :/
and while we are on the topic of DPG, what rh do you guys keep them at? maybe they taste better at a specific rh zone...ive come to realize some brands are finicky like that.
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 06:16 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by elderboy02 View Post
??? link?
Link this.
Old 01-28-2019, 07:07 AM   #12
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

I really like the DPG Cuban Classics and used to smoke them quite a bit -- I have not had one in a year or so, but I hope that they have not gone to sh!t with the other DPGs...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2019, 08:38 AM   #13
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

Pepin is still rolling some, but he has largely turned over the children. Jaime is handling the operations in Nica, Janey is handling the business side here in the US. Pepin is still blending and with the help of Pete Johnson, they are still making strides in market. I believe they made some expansions to the operations in the last year or two, so it may be growing pains that have caused recent issues.

Shilala - General only wish they could take over My Father, that would mean getting access to the Pete's lines as well, and that isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Old 02-11-2019, 01:10 PM   #14
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

This talk of DPG cigars going downhill is disconcerting. I've just got to a point in my life where I can afford some of them! For instance I got a Flor de las Antillas in a trade a couple weeks ago. Smoked it and immediately bought a box, it was sooooo good. My mouth is watering just thinking about them. Going to let them rest awhile.
Having said that, I was very much looking forward to trying other My Father blends. I did have a La Oferta lancero a while back and it started out great but ended up not being very good.
I've heard people like Jaime's Reserva Especial, and was thinking of trying to find a 5'er.
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2019, 02:16 PM   #15
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

I miss some of the sizes that used to be available too. DPG Black perlas were my favorite in the line, fantabulous.

The JJ Maduros were excellent. I haven't had a problem with them, but I buy them on sale, and them put them away as I smoke the older ones. I have not had problems with them.
Old 02-11-2019, 02:28 PM   #16
The camaro show
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Chayse
Trading: (1)
VR
The camaro show will become famous soon enough

I guess this explains the blue I had last week It was terrible and only got worse. Looks like the other is taking a nap!
The camaro show is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 12:04 PM   #17
oldforge
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
oldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura aboutoldforge has a spectacular aura about

Earlier this week I cracked open a box and smoked a five year old JJ natural.

It took my breath away--amazing.

I haven't bought any new Pepins in the last few years--so can't comment on the current quality.
oldforge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2019, 01:00 PM   #18
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

Man.....those old blues........
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 02:40 AM   #19
TXRebel
Have My Own Room

First Name: Cary
Trading: (12)
TXRebel has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RevSmoke View Post
I miss some of the sizes that used to be available too. DPG Black perlas were my favorite in the line, fantabulous.
Miss those Perlas as well, they were an excellent short smoke.
Old 02-17-2019, 10:28 AM   #20
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough

I hate to have to lend further credence to this but last night I tried to smoke one of my Pepin Blue Invictos and it was just...well, just not good. Had to stop about halfway...granted, they've only rested in the humi for about 3 months, but a few memorable DPGs I've had before rested for about the same amount of time and were stunning...
Plus, there was a pretty gnarly stem at the cap :/ hoping this was just a fluke however, and will be giving the rest much more time in the humi...
gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote