Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 01-03-2013, 04:06 PM   #1
novasurf
The Roastmaster General

Trading: (2)
novasurf is on a distinguished road
Default Is the Keurig here....

....to stay or just a passing fad. What say ye?
Old 01-03-2013, 04:21 PM   #2
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Is the Keurig here....

I think it will stay. Not a factor for the home roasting, high end crowd, but huge with the "decent coffee, conveinence wanted" crowd. I don't think they are going anywhere, Brother.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Commander Quan
Feeling at Home

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
Commander Quan has a spectacular aura aboutCommander Quan has a spectacular aura about

Probably stick around until some other new fandangled thing is in.
Commander Quan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:35 PM   #4
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

As Tom pointed out, the concept is ideal, especially for those wanting just one cup.

Some parts of the coffee market are in flux (Tully's Chapter 11 being the most notable right now), but the Keurig style brewing systems seem stable, although the little pre-made coffee containers are overpriced, IMO.

If you were asking if the company that makes Keurig is stable, I have no input on that. It seems to me that the devices are made well and you can get little baskets that you put your own coffee in to, so you are not tied to the price of the pre-made packets.

I own a keurig and don't plan to stop using it. For what I want, it is ideal and I can still use the home roast that my friends give me. I have no opinions on the keurig competitors our there.
Old 01-03-2013, 05:44 PM   #5
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

I think its here to stay. I have considered a Keurig. There are many times I just want a single cup and dont feel like brewing up a full batch. Much like cigars or any other consumable, there are many levels of participation. Instant coffee is still a major part of the market, I would guess there are many more people drinking instant than roasting their own.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

I think Tom nailed it. I got rid of mine because it didn't produce the stronger, flavorful coffee I wanted. However, I know many that love theirs and would never think of giving it up. I think "decent" was the key word.
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
hazydat620
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chad(choad, schoad)
Trading: (10)
hazydat620 is on a distinguished road

I'm enjoying ours . I got one for the old lady @ Christmas. I'm a one cup a day drinker, I like a strong cup of coffe that tastes good, and that's what it gives me. I'm fixn to go get the reusable bucket so I don't have to keep throwin plastic in the trash. I also love the fact that it will give me just hot water for 363's holiday cocoa way quicker than heating it on the stove.Now her on the other hand, she gets the hankerings for a couple cups on occasion and thats when she gets the old drip out. Once I get the other cup I don't think shes gonna mind making more than one out of the Keurig though, less waste. just my experience with it so far
Old 01-03-2013, 06:07 PM   #8
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

Trading: (0)
HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

We received one for Christmas. So far, I'm really liking it.

Seldom have more than 1-2 cups at a time. So, it's perfect from that end.

Have never been a fan of espresso or really strong coffee in general. So far, several of the medium roasts we've tried for the Keurig have been excellent.

I guess time will tell if it is a passing fad at our house.
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:01 PM   #9
jluck
Way out there

First Name: Jared
Trading: (12)
HdM
jluck will become famous soon enoughjluck will become famous soon enough

We just got one. I love it. I can have coffee (Just did), wife has tea and boys can have hot chocolate all within a couple minutes. I really like it. There is no more wasted coffee like there was either.
jluck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:26 PM   #10
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

I bought my mom a mini Keurig for christmas. She uses it almost every day now. She used to only make coffee once a week because of the hassle and then ends up dumping half the pot anyway. The Keurig will make her a cup in less than 2 minutes. And she only needs a cup anyway.

I'm pretty sure the Keurig system is going to be around for a long time. Especially since they have the reuseable cups for your own ground coffee blends now. She's been using those far more than the prepackaged cups.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:38 PM   #11
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I think it will stay. Not a factor for the home roasting, high end crowd, but huge with the "decent coffee, conveinence wanted" crowd. I don't think they are going anywhere, Brother.
I have to agree with Tom. More and more people that I know seem to be buying Keurig or similar operation machines and "convenience" is always one of the reasons that they cite. I don't think any of them were coffee connoisseurs before buying the machines, and a number of them were buying Folgers or whatever it is that comes from Costco in the big tins, so some of the K-cups are actually a step up in coffee quality for them. Personally, I wouldn't buy one, but they certainly are happy with them, enough so that they are recommending them to other people. With a loyal & growing customer base like that, I just don't see them going away anytime soon.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:02 AM   #12
jonumberone
Raw Dog

First Name: Dom
Trading: (62)
RA
jonumberone has disabled reputation

I think it's here to stay.
Since I've gone over the coffee cliff, mine sees a lot less use than it once did.
That said, there are still plenty of times when I appreciate it, and its convenience.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:15 AM   #13
Tallman
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Murray
Trading: (6)
Tallman is on a distinguished road

I agree that it's here to stay. Wifey uses ours more than I do, (I'm more of a tea drinker and I dont like the K-cup tea very much) but it gets used several times a week.
Tallman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:29 AM   #14
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

I think it is to stay due to convenience however it will likely continue to evolve towards a better brew.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:40 AM   #15
qwerty1500
Good thing I'm normal

HUpmann
qwerty1500 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I don't think any of them were coffee connoisseurs before buying the machines, and a number of them were buying Folgers or whatever it is that comes from Costco in the big tins, so some of the K-cups are actually a step up in coffee quality for them.
We were certainly never connoisseurs. However, we both appreciate a flavorful cup of coffee and were grinding Eight O'clock beans every morning. We knew we were not using a high end burr grinder and were not grinding more expensive or freshly roasted beans. However, we have both been surprised at how much better the pre-ground K-Cups have tasted.

One difference I've noticed is that the Keurig gets the water to a much higher temperature than our old antique coffee maker. I wonder if that is making more of a difference than coffee quality. A little experiment seems to be in order. We bought one of those reusable cups. I guess I should grind some of the Eight O'clock and see if the higher temperature makes a difference.
qwerty1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 05:45 AM   #16
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

The commerical and office consumer will keep it around.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:07 AM   #17
hammondc
Moar Padrons!

First Name: Chip
Trading: (17)
Partagas
hammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura abouthammondc has a spectacular aura about

I do not have one, but have considered it. I tried to go off the coffee cliff, but just never got far. I like my sugar and milk with coffee in it, so it doesn't make much sense for me to go roasting my own etc. Starbucks Sumatra / Komodo Dragon is fine for me. Thats right, I love the Gurkhas of the coffee world.
hammondc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 06:23 AM   #18
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

I'm with the "it will stay" crowd. I almost exclusively drink espresso these days, but prior to that when I was drinking coffee, I'd never go through a full pot. One cup at a time is perfect.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:25 AM   #19
Ashcan Bill
Ol' Dude

First Name: Bill
Partagas
Ashcan Bill has disabled reputation

I've been grinding beans and making full pots longer than I can remember. I'm a coffee addict. I picked up a Keurig a couple years ago and like it. Depending on the coffee you buy for it, it can make a decent enough cup.

For those times that I just want a single cup, it really shines. My wife uses it for tea occasionally, again when when she doesn't want to brew a whole pot. It has it's place.
Ashcan Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #20
Route 66
This sucker went out!

First Name: Steve
Route 66 is on a distinguished road

I think it's here to stay...at least mine is.

People are always looking for a more convenient, time saving way of doing things and so I think the Keurig fits that bill nicely.

I don't consider myself a coffee connoisseur by any means, and that's OK with me. I love being able to brew a "fresh" cup any time I want one and it's great not having to deal with all the measuring and hassle (and waste) of making a full pot.
Route 66 is offline   Reply With Quote