Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 12-19-2008, 08:23 AM   #41
Alfred
Habanero

Trading: (0)
RA
Alfred is on a distinguished road
Default Re: This "Only GRINDERS" thread is not for you if.

I waited to buy for a very long time-not wanting to spend the money, but insisting on long term quality. One option (among others already discussed here) shown to me was the Spanish made Cunill Tranquilo:

http://sovranastore.com/esgrin.html

I know it's served the detail orientated suggestor well for years. That said, I finally opted for the Mazzer Mini to go with my Expobar Brewtus. I really prefer to do these things once if possible.
Alfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2008, 09:13 AM   #42
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
I waited to buy for a very long time-not wanting to spend the money, but insisting on long term quality. One option (among others already discussed here) shown to me was the Spanish made Cunill Tranquilo:

http://sovranastore.com/esgrin.html

I know it's served the detail orientated suggestor well for years. That said, I finally opted for the Mazzer Mini to go with my Expobar Brewtus. I really prefer to do these things once if possible.
I think the Cunill/Espagnas are well regarded but I know the Mazzer is a once-per-lifetime home machine. You won't be disappointed.

How do you like the Brewtus? How long have you had it?
Old 12-19-2008, 09:22 AM   #43
Alfred
Habanero

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
I think the Cunill/Espagnas are well regarded but I know the Mazzer is a once-per-lifetime home machine. You won't be disappointed.

How do you like the Brewtus?
Thus far with the Mazzer-I'm very happy. Easy to adjust for whatever bean and seems built tank solid-which is what I was looking for.

As to the Expobar Brewtus-the very first machine I considered was the Silvia. But it seemed most (or many) who bought the Silvia, while very happy with it, consistently stepped up. So, to avoid that-I made 2 steps instead of one, though more expensive at the offset, I thought cheaper then having bought 2 units over time. I REALLY like it. Easy to operate and consistently produces what I'm looking for. It's the older model-non PID with a vibratory pump versus the third version (with PID and rotary). But with the the second versions introductory price and performance, a great value. My shot of choice is the Malabar Gold. I really need to try the Black Cat.
Old 12-19-2008, 09:54 AM   #44
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfred View Post
Thus far with the Mazzer ... built tank solid...
Note on Mazzer. Mine, from delivery, was very stiff handling on micro adjustments. The fineness ring was not able to be turned without one hand on the screw-in lever/handle and the other on the base of the machine. I always figured that's the way it was.

After I replaced the burrs a few months back the adjuster got even more difficult. I re-removed the top collar and meticulously cleaned the threads with a lint-free cloth and some mineral oil. Another few drops of mineral oil on the threads before reassembly and now all is smooth as silk.

Expobars seem to be built for the long haul; those who have them keep them.
Old 12-19-2008, 10:08 AM   #45
Alfred
Habanero

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
After I replaced the burrs a few months back the adjuster got even more difficult. I re-removed the top collar and meticulously cleaned the threads with a lint-free cloth and some mineral oil. Another few drops of mineral oil on the threads before reassembly and now all is smooth as silk.
Thank you for the tip! I'll keep that in mind. I'm still in the learning curve/process with this but, that's my thought approach with most endeavours since most things, on many levels, can always be better.

Again, thank you.