Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 12-19-2011, 07:12 AM   #381
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

First Name: Corey
Trading: (23)
LGC
CoreyD has a spectacular aura aboutCoreyD has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Rolling your own

As promised Andrew.
My modified invention

and some eye candy for Mac. My first Madurro roll with some double ligero.

Now heres where some of my maddies are now.They look darker in person.
Old 12-19-2011, 07:14 AM   #382
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

NIce work Corey, keep us updated on your progress brother!
Thanks for sharing!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:18 AM   #383
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Looks like a good start Corey!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:21 AM   #384
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

LGC

Example of my Piggies off my recovery series

Old 12-19-2011, 07:42 AM   #385
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

How do they taste Corey?
Old 12-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #386
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Loving the pigtails brother!
Old 12-19-2011, 07:59 AM   #387
CoreyD
Licking my wounds

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelmac07 View Post
How do they taste Corey?
well draw was an issue at first then to much kick now I seem to have the full with full medium with medium and mild with mild all with '98 Nic fillers and '99 ecudorian sumatra binder all with different wrappers from havana to conneticut to different madduros. So to ask me how they taste they all have a different profile depending on how much,what of and size etc. But I do like them theres something to each one I like.
By know means is this part of the hobby cheaper than buying a box of good cigars the way the sales have been going on stuff lately but I originally got into the cigar hobby to do this part of it for my personal enjoyment. I am at the point where I grab these instead of the whats left in my mad jump last november-june purchases.

My next batches are some nic/dom mixes all with the sumatra binder. Its going to be my go to Binder. I like the extra zing. My draws are good , need to be more consistant on my old figudor sizes . The mold is vintage and I want to do them justice. The other Mold I have of an undisclosed ring guage is loaned by the local B &M owner whom probably wants it back soon hehe and that will cut out my regular formed rolls I have been using to make skinnies to churches with.
As far as the Madurros go, up close in picture they look wrinkly but up close in person the 2 kind of madurros look great with some minor changes needed on cosmetics but I kind of like the rustic look. The over powered ones I have some put aside to see how they marinate however I have 2 boxes of mixed from day 1 to now unmarked so its going to be a mystery grab each time except knowing what the wrapper is.
But like I said some tweaks all different with some similarities all a learning curve that I can't really calculate until they marinate into eachother with some rest time even though they are aged they haven't melted into eachother as a stick. As Todd says they're green give them 6 months. Only I need to keep my hands outa the boxes and the gifting lowered.
Sorry this is all drained on but I am very tired got home 1.5 hrs ago from some long hours at work. I worked 37 hours since fri night.

Last edited by CoreyD; 12-19-2011 at 08:07 AM.
CoreyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:15 AM   #388
wayner123
Country Gentleman

Trading: (159)
Trinidad
wayner123 has disabled reputation

Corey,

Where are you getting the sumatra binder tobacco from?
Old 12-19-2011, 10:11 AM   #389
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (43)
LGC
BlkDrew will become famous soon enough

Great job on the progress Corey. They are really starting to look better as seen with the pigtail capped ones. I have found blending to be easy with the dominican fillers, with the Nicaraguan fillers you have to be really precise, but once you get it, it is a great stick.

what do the molds look like without anything in them? just looking to see what you're working with.
BlkDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #390
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Wow. Are you on caffeine 24/7?
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoreyD View Post
well draw was an issue at first then to much kick now I seem to have the full with full medium with medium and mild with mild all with '98 Nic fillers and '99 ecudorian sumatra binder all with different wrappers from havana to conneticut to different madduros. So to ask me how they taste they all have a different profile depending on how much,what of and size etc. But I do like them theres something to each one I like.
By know means is this part of the hobby cheaper than buying a box of good cigars the way the sales have been going on stuff lately but I originally got into the cigar hobby to do this part of it for my personal enjoyment. I am at the point where I grab these instead of the whats left in my mad jump last november-june purchases.

My next batches are some nic/dom mixes all with the sumatra binder. Its going to be my go to Binder. I like the extra zing. My draws are good , need to be more consistant on my old figudor sizes . The mold is vintage and I want to do them justice. The other Mold I have of an undisclosed ring guage is loaned by the local B &M owner whom probably wants it back soon hehe and that will cut out my regular formed rolls I have been using to make skinnies to churches with.
As far as the Madurros go, up close in picture they look wrinkly but up close in person the 2 kind of madurros look great with some minor changes needed on cosmetics but I kind of like the rustic look. The over powered ones I have some put aside to see how they marinate however I have 2 boxes of mixed from day 1 to now unmarked so its going to be a mystery grab each time except knowing what the wrapper is.
But like I said some tweaks all different with some similarities all a learning curve that I can't really calculate until they marinate into eachother with some rest time even though they are aged they haven't melted into eachother as a stick. As Todd says they're green give them 6 months. Only I need to keep my hands outa the boxes and the gifting lowered.
Sorry this is all drained on but I am very tired got home 1.5 hrs ago from some long hours at work. I worked 37 hours since fri night.
Old 12-19-2011, 01:24 PM   #391
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Great start Corey, keep us updated on your progress.....I do dig the pigtails
Old 12-19-2011, 02:55 PM   #392
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

LGC

Still no mold.... WTF! I am pissed. I sent an email to the company I bought it from stating I wanted either a full refund, or a mold by December 23rd I figured that was fair.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:26 PM   #393
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkDrew View Post
Still no mold.... WTF! I am pissed. I sent an email to the company I bought it from stating I wanted either a full refund, or a mold by December 23rd I figured that was fair.
Very fair
Old 12-19-2011, 03:29 PM   #394
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

That's BS Andrew!! Sorry to hear.
Old 12-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #395
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkDrew View Post
I say you give us the address! We'll We don't want you waiting around on molds, we need Drew up and rolling more sticks!!
Old 12-19-2011, 03:40 PM   #396
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

LGC

FedEx states that it may not even have been picked up. Even though it shows a pickup scan when you track it. FedEx doesn't know where it is. Every time I call them they just say there were no updates, bull get off your ass and look for the package.

I have asked the company to send me a replacement mold in the meantime and they basically said no. The 42x5 is the second to last one in inventory. So that is where it stands
Old 12-19-2011, 03:45 PM   #397
schollianmj

How did you pay for said mold... if it was with a credit card, call teh card company and file a complaint.
Old 12-19-2011, 04:07 PM   #398
BlkDrew
Rolling my own...

LGC

Quote:
Originally Posted by schollianmj View Post
How did you pay for said mold... if it was with a credit card, call teh card company and file a complaint.
Postal money order. My main issue is with FedEx right now, if the company doesn't make it right, then there will be a problem there.
Old 12-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #399
Crownedone
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Stephen
Trading: (0)
Crownedone is on a distinguished road

Corey, I love the rough look to the smokes. Keep up the great work.
Crownedone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 08:56 PM   #400
ApexAZ
Wandering aimlessly

First Name: Brian
Trading: (10)
ApexAZ will become famous soon enoughApexAZ will become famous soon enough

Andrew,

I smoked both sticks today. Loved them both! Had some draw issues on the nic, but the blend was nothing short of amazing. I posted the review in the NC review forum.

The test blend was not as complex, but also very good and had no burn or draw problems. Thanks for the trade! I'm so glad I got to try them. I don't know if I have the time or patience to roll any myself, so please do continue in your endeavor so that I can buy some more in the future!

Again: Awsome!
ApexAZ is offline   Reply With Quote