Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 06-30-2019, 01:02 PM   #1
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

First Name: Michael
Trading: (5)
RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough
Smile Heading to Chagrin Falls today!

Leaving in a couple hours to an Airbnb residence for 6 nights!

Really excited for this trip, the gf and I stopped there last year for a couple days and really loved the the small town/historic charm of the place, so we decided to book just under a weeks stay this year.

The original reason I suggested it to the gf last year is because this is where the creator of the "Calvin & Hobbes" comic strip is from. He supposedly got a lot of his inspiration for the beautiful outdoor/nature full page strips from the surrounding parks. Also, the downtown Chagrin area was featured a few times in his strip, there is one panel in particular I'll try include a photo of that panel at the bottom of this post.

Bill was known to occasionally slip signed copies of his books in at the local bookstore "Fireside Book Shop" which we will visit again this year. While he grew up and lived in Chagrin for a time, I believe he now resides somewhere closer to Cleveland now. Regardless, I'm not looking to bother the guy, as he is known to be intensely private and shuns attention & interviews. (Which I both understand and respect greatly.). But it's cool to get to visit the place that I grew up seeing portrayed in my favorite comic strip as a kid.

Another notable resident was one of the creators of National Lampoon, however his name evades me at the moment.

So yeah, really looking forward to this trip! Planning on cracking open a bottle of Glenlivet 15 yr French Oak Reserve when we get there and smoke LOTS of excellent cigars for the duration! Will try to post pictures if I happen to snap anything particularly cool.

Hope everyone else has a wonderful 4th of July week!!

gomeitsmybday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2019, 06:37 PM   #2
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA
gomeitsmybday will become famous soon enoughgomeitsmybday will become famous soon enough
Cool Re: Heading to Chagrin Falls today!

Panoramic of the patio, this has been designated "C.S.H.Q." (Cigar Smoking Headquarters)

Old 07-01-2019, 09:32 AM   #3
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Heading to Chagrin Falls today!

Have a great time, Michael!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 11:54 AM   #4
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Thanks Tom! Started today off with a Don Carlos Personal Reserve and since moved on to the Bolivar BF so doing well so far today.
Old 07-01-2019, 12:33 PM   #5
Tio Gato
Uncle Kitty

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (11)
Partagas
Tio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really niceTio Gato is just really nice

OK, I'm jealous for sure. Have fun and enjoy!
Old 07-01-2019, 12:44 PM   #6
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Tim Conway was also from Chagrin Falls. Pretty area, check out Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Or, follow the Chagrin River North to the lake and enjoy a walleye dinner on the water.
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 01:07 PM   #7
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

Sounds like a great time!
Old 07-01-2019, 01:43 PM   #8
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wharf Rat View Post
Tim Conway was also from Chagrin Falls. Pretty area, check out Cuyahoga Valley National Park. Or, follow the Chagrin River North to the lake and enjoy a walleye dinner on the water.
Oh nice!! Yeah I definitely recognize him, he was in a lot of stuff it seems. Also appears to have passed away this past May, so RIP to him.

The gf mentioned Cuyahoga Valley National Park so yeah I think we will probably visit there at least one day. Unfortunately I am not s seafood/fish enthusiast but I'll mention the lake to the gf as well! There is an awesome burger & fries joint here called "Flipside" and I think that's what we are doing for a late lunch/dinner today.

And thanks for the well wishes guys, hope you all have a great 4th of July yourselves! Btw here is a pic that the gf snapped last night, looking down Main Street/Chagrin Which is literally right where you are when you hang a left out of our driveway here.

I'll continue to post in this thread any other cool photos we take while we are here!
Old 07-01-2019, 05:33 PM   #9
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Looks like you're making the most of vacation, Michael!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #10
Brian D.
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brian
Trading: (1)
Brian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of lightBrian D. is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by gomeitsmybday View Post
Unfortunately I am not s seafood/fish enthusiast but I'll mention the lake to the gf as well!
Walleye is possibly the best tasting freshwater fish on Earth. I'd be conflicted choosing between it, a steak, or pork chop.

Consider giving it a try
Old 07-02-2019, 02:27 PM   #11
gomeitsmybday
Feeling at Home

RA
Smile Re: Heading to Chagrin Falls today!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian D. View Post
Walleye is possibly the best tasting freshwater fish on Earth. I'd be conflicted choosing between it, a steak, or pork chop.

Consider giving it a try
I've heard that before! Or rather, I've heard it's really good and even once someone told me it tasted like chicken or was some how similar.
I might try it some day, but not today!
Old 07-31-2019, 09:03 PM   #12
migger35
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
migger35 is on a distinguished road

Hope you had a great time. We'll be visiting our relatives at Rosswell, GA for a family reunion, just got to finish installing the rack and recon light bars on the truck before we proceed tomorrow. North Atlanta got some good falls we could visit the kids could love to explore.
migger35 is offline   Reply With Quote