Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 04-25-2012, 04:37 PM   #41
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: I need some serious motivation.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
I do five flights to get to my office and I feel like I have to lay down on the floor for 15 minutes to recover! I need some work!
Take the stairs everywhere you go, no elevators
Old 04-26-2012, 06:06 AM   #42
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all

Hey check out myfitnesspal.com It's free and seems like a good way to hold yourself accountable. You plug in you height, weight, age, goal, etc and it gives you a guideline as far as calories, fat, carbs, and protein. Exercise counts to allow you more food. They also have a big food database so you can plug in the food and it fills out the nutrition info for you. And for smart phone users there's an app that even lets you can an item in using the UPC. Just thought I'd share this with ya bud
Old 04-26-2012, 06:12 AM   #43
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
working on giving up soda
I usually have at LEAST 2 20oz bottles of coke a shift at work. Last night I only had one but also drank 80oz of water while at work

If you're a soda drinker, stopping will help alot. Just think. Each 20oz bottle of Coke is 240 calories! That's insane!
Best thing I did was give up soda's. I droped almost 30 lbs after I stopped kicking back a 2 liter or so a day. My back thanks me every morning!
Old 04-26-2012, 06:32 AM   #44
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Best thing I did was give up soda's. I droped almost 30 lbs after I stopped kicking back a 2 liter or so a day. My back thanks me every morning!
That's roughly how much I was drinking between home and work. Right now I'm down to 1-20oz bottle a day. I'd estimate I was drinking 4x that much before. That's a reduction of 710 calories right there.
Old 04-26-2012, 03:49 PM   #45
Dave128
Sexy Dave

First Name: Dave
Trading: (4)
Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
Hey check out myfitnesspal.com It's free and seems like a good way to hold yourself accountable. You plug in you height, weight, age, goal, etc and it gives you a guideline as far as calories, fat, carbs, and protein. Exercise counts to allow you more food. They also have a big food database so you can plug in the food and it fills out the nutrition info for you. And for smart phone users there's an app that even lets you can an item in using the UPC. Just thought I'd share this with ya bud
Thanks. I just downloaded the app. Looks pretty cool.
Old 04-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #46
Whee
formerly illinoishoosier

First Name: Sean
Trading: (17)
Partagas
Whee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to beholdWhee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128 View Post
Thanks. I just downloaded the app. Looks pretty cool.
I am on there. illinoishoosier.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:56 AM   #47
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Dave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really niceDave128 is just really nice

The power was out in my building this morning when I got to work. It forced me to take the stairs. I made it without much trouble. I think this was a good kick-start.
Old 05-01-2012, 08:20 AM   #48
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Nice! I have a problem with motivation to exercise as well. I have a piece of notebook paper with a quote I scratched on it, taped to my bedroom door. All it says is:

"I really regret that workout."

-Said no one. Ever.

It made so much sense to me, and spoke to me, so it's the only extra push I need.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:25 AM   #49
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Very motivating quote. Thank you for that.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:38 AM   #50
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
I can tell you one thing I know...workout equipment is fine, but there is no substitute for reduction of calories.
You can try BURNING them all you want, but it's the ones that go IN that are keeping you fat. You must
switch to water ONLY, no sports drinks, no sweet tea, no soft drinks, milk as a reward. You must eat the worst
possible foods, and only keep that stuff on hand. If you can't GIVE your fridge contents away, THROW it away.
Stop eating bread, stop eating much meat. Eat homemade soup for a treat, cereal for breakfast, a bowl of grits
for lunch, oatmeal and some fruit or fish for supper, salads with oil and vinegar dressing only. Mix in some herbs
and garlic for flavor.

People complain all the time about being fat and wanting to NOT be fat. But they keep right on doing the things
they always did, as if finally wanting to be thin is gonna miracle the weight off them. The Biggest Loser is not
popular because it's fun to look at fat people. It's popular because it's amazing to see the kind of commitment
it takes to get thin.

I am struggling for the first time with real weight on my frame. I have never been thin or even fit-looking. But
for the first time ever, laying off something here and something there ain't getting it. I am struggling. These
are the things I learned, but will power is the only way to succeed. In order to quit smoking cigs, which
were killing me, I had to give up three other things...weed, bars and sex. I can have sex again if I want, but I am
too fat for anyone to care. But that shows how you can turn over one rock and just find three more rocks.

Make no mistake, that workout gear is important. It lets you work out without people watching. But you can
work out 24 hours a day and not lose weight, just die. Sit ups are not going to make your belly thin. There will
be a time when they are important, but for now you are in a walk, don't run mode. There was a big fat dude and
a big fat kid "running" down my sidewalk the other day. They stopped and talked to me, and told me they had
decided that being fat just was unacceptable, so they were going to run. I told them, "No, you are just going to
blow both your knees. You have to walk for a year before you start running, you are obese." You aren't going to
be thin tomorrow. You are going to be doing this for years. I was going for a job interview while I was visiting my
mother, and she said that my teeth were dingy, that I should go and get some whitening strips while I was visiting
her. I went into the store and saw they were 50 bucks. I wasn't going to spend that kind of money as funds for
my trip were not limitless. I told her that the stuff doesn't work overnight, why buy it for tomorrow??

The muscles you need to work on now are your brain and your jaw muscles. Start working one and resting the others.
Good luck, I need it too. -- OOPS -- one more thing about the walking. I walk between 1 and 5 miles a day now.
Throughout my life after I got a car at 21, I had been a biker, pedalled everywhere, sometimes 50-60 miles a week.
I had to, I had no car. I could carry 2 PAPER bags of groceries up & down 3-4 hills with no hands (2-3 miles) and STOP
at the house with no hands and not wipe out. Then I got a car and I never looked back. I went from sexy-love-
machine to fat slob. I enjoy walking. There are a few hot girls out, nature is bad-a55, I feel of accomplishment,
and it actually makes you want to do it. You will see. You will not dread walking. IT IS the key to the whole plan.
This is great advice Dave, limit your caloric intake (diet, if you will) smaller portions and less calories, it is really gonna suck for a week or two but your body will adjust. Once some weight starts to come off then start with some working out to really boost your metabolism and then pounds will really start to come off.

The real motivation is when your clothes start fitting a little looser and you look better in the mirror, then you start to feel better about yourself and it motivates you to keep going. Biggest thing for me was cutting out the beer and late night meals, I work odd hours so I was eating late at night and would have a few beers before bed...no more of that, I eat earlier and work out before bed...I have lost 20 lbs. since the first of the year, started at 230 lbs and trying to get back to 200 by June. Good luck on your quest
Old 05-01-2012, 09:45 AM   #51
saigon68

Maybe you are a candidate for a belly band (not sure what it is called). Consult a physician versed in these matters. Good luck.
Old 05-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #52
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Thanks, but as my original post said, I'm in no way looking for a sugical procedure at this time.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:02 PM   #53
Apoco
Nerd with social skills

First Name: Alex
Trading: (37)
Apoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the roughApoco is a jewel in the rough

The 2 bits of advice from me (this is for once you've decided you're ready to lose it):

1) Remove choice as much as possible. By this I mean - figure out something fairly low cal that you can stand for breakfast and lunch and only eat that. I have a zone bar for breakfast (180 calories) and the healthy choice option at work (usually some form of turkey and a veg for ~300-400 calories). That means that by dinner time I've only consumed ~600 calories. For me to maintain my current weight based on my activity level I'd need 1500 calories a day. As long as I stay reasonable for dinner, I have a net loss for calories that day.

2) Use a tool called "Don't break the chain". I can't remember what actor I heard talk about this - but it involves printing a calendar and checking off each time you meet your goal. The goal can be "Exercise at least 3 times a week" or "Eat under 1500 calories a day". Each day/week that you meet your goal - cross it out. For me it is always so easy to say "I'm just going to take today off" or "Ahhhh - I'm tired. Screw it." But having the knowledge/visualization that you have completed that goal every single day for 6 months will make you want to keep the chain going. I have a friend who keeps 3 "Don't Break the Chain"s going. He's losing weight (Walk at least 1.5 miles a day), learning another language (do 1 lesson on Rosetta Stone every day), and learning guitar (practice at least 30 minutes a day).
Posted via Mobile Device
Apoco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 01:08 PM   #54
Dave128
Sexy Dave

Very nice. Thank you, Alex.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:37 PM   #55
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
Nice! I have a problem with motivation to exercise as well. I have a piece of notebook paper with a quote I scratched on it, taped to my bedroom door. All it says is:

-Said no one. Ever.

It made so much sense to me, and spoke to me, so it's the only extra push I need.
I like that one, might have to use it.
I also use "Pain is weakness leaving the body."
But if you are doing cardio "Sweat is weakness leaving the body" would work great as well.

Something that helps me is I used chalk paint and made a board in my basement that I can update with weight and rep info, always trying to improve upon my previous workout and also to make sure I mix things up. You would be surprised how much progress you are making if you look at all the numbers. I also have a chalk calendar to see and keep track of my workout routine.

I am really trying to get back on track, it really is hard to get a routine started again. Having a routine is critical in my opinion.
Old 05-01-2012, 01:44 PM   #56
levrac68
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Todd
Trading: (0)
levrac68 is on a distinguished road

Take up an active outdoor hobby. I like photography and long walks with the wife, it keeps me on the move. When you have your cigar, take it for a walk and bring another one along for the walk home. If you have no interest in those machines, don't feel bad, neither do I. I HATE working out and make up any excuse not to. For now, I'm 25lbs over my comfort zone, but I'd be a lot more if I didn't keep somewhat active. Just change a few small things at a time and you won't feel as if you're taking on the world. Good Luck
Old 05-01-2012, 01:56 PM   #57
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post

-Said no one. Ever.

Peter I just thought of somebody who might have said that, did you ever see that video of a power lifter that blew his leg out? He might have said it.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:01 PM   #58
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Lol. Nope, but I suppose that could be one instance. Dammit, stop getting all technical!
Old 05-02-2012, 12:38 AM   #59
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blak Smyth View Post
Peter I just thought of somebody who might have said that, did you ever see that video of a power lifter that blew his leg out? He might have said it.
I think that's more for competition than for workout
Old 05-02-2012, 12:39 AM   #60
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

HdM

Dave whatever you do, eat at least 1200 calories/day. Get below that and your metabolism will start shutting down.