Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-23-2009, 07:50 PM   #1
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Trading: (32)
Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about
Default 2005 Don Carlos God of Fire

I couldn't decide which cigar i wanted so someone said to do a blind grab. So i did it as unbiased as i could and ended up with this baby. I've had this sitting in the vino for quiet sometime now and have always been curious. I'm in the mood for something i haven't had before but also wanted something that i wasn't going to be let down by.

I've heard many mixed things about this cigar but mostly good things so i decided why not and threw it in the mix with the rest of em.

Prelight: the smell from its wrapper reminds me of a walkin humidor at the local B&M, mostly a mellow wood smell.

the prelight draw is very smooth, no resistance and i get hints of a real mellow wood.

First impressions.. EASIEST CIGAR I HAVE EVER LIT IN MY LIFE!!!! as my colibri was running out of fuel it felt like this thing just... magicly lit itself. The draw is perfect and the smoke is sommething that only gandalf could whip up, very dense, thick and grey.

First 1/3: I'm getting a mix of a lot of mellow wood tastes. Its a VERY pleasant taste but personally if im gonna drop this kind of money on a cigar... i'm gonna look for a different taste profile. So far i have nothing to complain about. The burn is near spot on, the draw is perfect and the flavor is wonderful, even the ash looks really nice.

It ashed a little prematurely but as soon as it did it picked up very heavy notes of cream with undertones of what i wanna say is almost like a leathery wood taste.

halfway-2/3 point: the wood and cream flavors are havin an epic battle to stay ontop of eachother and with every puff i have no idea which one will be where. I enjoy it either way (no not like that don't get all excited guys). As the picture shows, after it ashed its text book form. Little mound right in the dead center of the cigar, only minus is the wrapper is starting to peel a little bit.

Finish: The taste im getting at this point is almost like everything i have tasted in this cigar all wrapped into one. There isn't a single tone that is more... "up front" or a stronger taste then the other and none of them are any more mellow then the others... its very different and i quiet enjoy it.

Overall Score: 88/100

This was a very good cigar however for 20 dollars the flavors in this cigar are not in my top favorite flavor profiles. If they were more peppery and creamy i would definitely pick a few of these up. But if your flavors are wood and cream then this is a must have at least once.
cigarmonkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 08:29 PM   #2
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation
Default Re: 2005 Don Carlos God of Fire

Thanks for the nice review

Try the Carlito version. I think you'll like it

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:25 AM   #3
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Nice review!!
Old 11-24-2009, 04:31 AM   #4
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

I Love This Stick! If You Prefer More Spice With A Similar Profile, Try The 2006 GOF by Carlito! Great Review!
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:07 PM   #5
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo
cigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura aboutcigarmonkel has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
I Love This Stick! If You Prefer More Spice With A Similar Profile, Try The 2006 GOF by Carlito! Great Review!
so you love this stick huh?
Old 11-24-2009, 12:27 PM   #6
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the review.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 12:39 PM   #7
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

QUOTE=cigarmonkel;657206]so you love this stick huh? [/quote]

Nevermind! Forget I Said Anything!!!!!!
Old 11-24-2009, 02:20 PM   #8
darkninja67

Thanks for the review, never had a God Of Fire before.

So the Carlito blend is stronger overall??
Old 11-24-2009, 04:05 PM   #9
longknocker
Postwhore

Cohiba

I Wouldn't Say "Stronger"; "Spicier" Would Be A Better Word.
Old 11-24-2009, 10:34 PM   #10
cigarmonkel
User Title goes here

Montecristo

Nevermind! Forget I Said Anything!!!!!! [/quote]

you have some payback coming... your just lucky that its time to pay my bills and xmas around the corner... but after the holidays pass . i'd start building your bunker now.