Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Entertainment

Old 07-09-2011, 11:59 AM   #201
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Game of Thrones

Oh yeah...f*ck the Frey's and the crazy Tully kid. Both of those houses are nut cases

Anybody else getting the 5th book Tuesday and starting it immediately? I can't wait, I've got it coming in from Amazon
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 12:11 PM   #202
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
Oh yeah...f*ck the Frey's and the crazy Tully kid. Both of those houses are nut cases

Anybody else getting the 5th book Tuesday and starting it immediately? I can't wait, I've got it coming in from Amazon
I'm going to pick it up for my Nook, but saving it for 2 weeks when I'm on vacation. Very much excited to be reading it.
Old 07-09-2011, 02:30 PM   #203
hscmit
Have My Own Room

First Name: James
Trading: (4)
Bolivar
hscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura abouthscmit has a spectacular aura about

still finishing storm of swords

but will be onto the others soon enough
hscmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #204
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

I'm about to start A Storm of Swords, perhaps this coming weekend after payday. I've got a couple of zombie fiction novels to get through first though, easy enough reading.

I'm really kind of glad that hopefully by the time I get to finishing Dance with Dragons the next novel will be on it's way out!
Old 07-11-2011, 12:30 AM   #205
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Ha, that's funny, I got the four book set, but too have a couple zombie novels I gotta get through first. Just started Among the Living today.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 05:43 PM   #206
blugill
Feeling at Home

First Name: Andy
Trading: (10)
blugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of lightblugill is a glorious beacon of light

I love the amount of zombie fiction available to the Kindle. Bargain priced as well!

J.L. Bourne is my favorite!
Old 07-12-2011, 12:51 AM   #207
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Yeah, I read his first book when it was all posted online. Looking forward to the third book coming out. I just finished Patient Zero last week and enjoyed it. Just gotta finish Among the Living and this book One so I can get them back to the people who lent them to me then I can start Game of Thrones.

I was a bit pissed as I was planning on buying the Kindle of GoT but it was ten bucks cheaper to buy the four book set. Plus sposedly the Kindle version was missing some pages for some of the people who downloaded it. Does the Kindle version show the maps and stuff?
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 09:50 AM   #208
Sawyer
Primitive Screwhead

First Name: Robert
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
Sawyer has disabled reputation

I am going to start reading the books to see if I can get any more out of them. I am a huge fan of this genre, or at least I used to be. So I hope it was just something about the production of the TV series that was throwing me off.
Sawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:03 AM   #209
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

I saw the series when it was on earlier this year and was really impressed. Once the season was done, I went and downloaded the eBooks to my iPad. Two months later and I am completely finished with all five books. I am really excited to see how they are going to pull this off. This is fast becoming one of my favorite books and TV series.
Old 10-05-2011, 12:52 PM   #210
Lonely Raven

I just finished book Four, and I'm looking for an audiobook of 5 since I refuse to pay hardcover prices.

Damn these books are long winded. Great story, great depth, but he goes into a bit much description of what people are wearing (often in long lists), and the marching order, and who begot who. I think he's trying to much to be JRR Tolkien.

I'm really, really impressed with how well they pulled off the first season of the TV show. If this is another show that doesn't finish all seasons before being cancled, I'm going to be PISSED! Looking froward to Season 2!
Old 10-05-2011, 12:59 PM   #211
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

I dunno...I didn't get bogged down too much in his description of things. If that bothers you though, never ever read the Wheel of Time, half the book is descriptions
Old 10-05-2011, 01:30 PM   #212
yachties23
The Belly of the Beast

First Name: Chris
Trading: (15)
Bolivar
yachties23 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutus2600 View Post
I dunno...I didn't get bogged down too much in his description of things. If that bothers you though, never ever read the Wheel of Time, half the book is descriptions
There are tons of descriptions in these books. Every meal, every feast, every course. I can't tell you how many times I've read "Ceseri broke her fast on...."

But those descriptions carry over wonderfully to help paint the picture that is Westeros. You can picture the utter cold at the wall by the descriptions of the haunted forest, The utter brutality of size of Gregor Clegane by the way men describe him, and the hideousness of Brienne of Tarth just cause well men are just really messed up to her lol.
Old 10-05-2011, 01:35 PM   #213
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

LGC

I guess I didn't phrase that well. What I meant was although there are descriptions of quite literally everything, they weren't that noticeable or bothersome to me and like you said, painted great visuals of what was happening in the scene
Old 10-05-2011, 01:41 PM   #214
Lonely Raven

Quote:
Originally Posted by yachties23 View Post
I can't tell you how many times I've read "Ceseri broke her fast on...."

That's a great example of how I feel reading these books. I enjoy a great description, but he tends to do LISTS. IMHO, lists are just to fill word count, not for great writing.
Old 11-27-2011, 06:38 PM   #215
kiwi michelle

Love love love the series!! Am so going to go out and buy the books. Bring on season 2 (which will air months later in NZ...bugger).
Old 11-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #216
Wanger

I got the set of 4 books at Costco last month. Haven't had a lot of reading time lately, but it's slowing down at work, so I might bring one with me soon.

And for the record, the wife and I dressed as Khal Drogo and Daenerys Targaryen for Halloween. Unfortunately, there was only a handful of people who knew who we were.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:29 PM   #217
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Ah, ever the last one in, I just watched Episode one and two and I am absolutely gripped.
What nards, to pull out a Olde Werlde drama like this, and my goodness, they are hitting it out of
the park. Does it stay good to the end, or does it get crappy like some Elizabethan "Lost" ?
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:34 PM   #218
LostAbbott
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mychal
Trading: (23)
PL
LostAbbott will become famous soon enough

Nope the while first season is fantastic. While not a direct copy of the book it does acgreat job ofckeeping the feel and creatingvthe world.
Posted via Mobile Device
LostAbbott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 05:41 PM   #219
MikeyC
member of the CA MINYAN

Trading: (11)
Bolivar
MikeyC will become famous soon enough

I watched the first season on HBOGo.com and got totally hooked. Next season starts in a few weeks I believe.
Old 01-21-2012, 09:26 PM   #220
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Jeezus, just finished all ten episodes and apart from what seemed like the falling apart of the barbarian storyline near
the end it was all pretty great. And even then there was this icon of things to come with the dragons that says
this is gonna get freaky deeky in 2012. To bad Sean Bean had to die, he's always good. But how else to spur
on the full measure of revenge that was coming even before they chopped his head off, haha, well, look out.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote