Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-15-2013, 08:39 AM   #41
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of
Default Re: I Need A Little Help With A Handgun I'm Looking At.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
My main complaint with the .380 round is that it doesn't have a whole lot of power behind it, if you're going to use that weapon for CC. IMHO
Amazing the damage a hydro-shock or similar round can do. Maybe not the actual "knock down" power of a 45, but you don't need suspenders to carry it either. If somethings too big and cumbersome, you won't be carrying it anyway.

Old 12-15-2013, 08:40 AM   #42
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
If this is a carry gun, and in the horrible event you should have to use it, even with a "good" shoot, you don't want the prosecution finding you have modified it, (and these days, criminals familys try to crucify the good guys with increasing regularity) much less with crazy sounding common household parts.
You wouldn't want the jury looking at your weapon as a "hyper efficient killing machine" a la a highly customized 1911 replete with Zombie grips and engravings saying "the Wicked Must Die" any more than you would want that jury thinking you are a lead paint chip licking redneck (which you certainly are not, don't get me wrong) who decided to "Pimp out mah backup piece in case there wuz any scumbags that needed shootin' " without the "proper" gunsmithing (yeah, I know.....) having happened. For me, after a conversation or two with permit instructors and guys that were a lot smarter than me, a bone stock as possible defense arm would raise the fewest hackles on someone judging you, even indirectly.
Awesome points brother!
Old 12-15-2013, 09:14 AM   #43
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve View Post
Amazing the damage a hydro-shock or similar round can do. Maybe not the actual "knock down" power of a 45, but you don't need suspenders to carry it either. If somethings too big and cumbersome, you won't be carrying it anyway.

Any gun is probably better than no gun when needed
Old 12-15-2013, 09:24 AM   #44
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
If this is a carry gun, and in the horrible event you should have to use it, even with a "good" shoot, you don't want the prosecution finding you have modified it, (and these days, criminals familys try to crucify the good guys with increasing regularity) much less with crazy sounding common household parts.
You wouldn't want the jury looking at your weapon as a "hyper efficient killing machine" a la a highly customized 1911 replete with Zombie grips and engravings saying "the Wicked Must Die" any more than you would want that jury thinking you are a lead paint chip licking redneck (which you certainly are not, don't get me wrong) who decided to "Pimp out mah backup piece in case there wuz any scumbags that needed shootin' " without the "proper" gunsmithing (yeah, I know.....) having happened. For me, after a conversation or two with permit instructors and guys that were a lot smarter than me, a bone stock as possible defense arm would raise the fewest hackles on someone judging you, even indirectly.
Excellent point, I have avoided all gimmick items for my guns i.e Zombie Stopper bullets/optics...etc. just a good gun and ammo. Because there will always be a lawsuit, no need to give them more Ammo....pun intended!!
Old 12-15-2013, 10:09 AM   #45
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Any gun is probably better than no gun when needed
My point exactly. Definitely brothers from another mother
Old 12-15-2013, 10:13 AM   #46
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Excellent point, I have avoided all gimmick items for my guns i.e Zombie Stopper bullets/optics...etc. just a good gun and ammo. Because there will always be a lawsuit, no need to give them more Ammo....pun intended!!
I always figured that they would make enough of a big deal if I ever had to defend myself/family that I was using real bullets let alone talons or hydros instead of nerf darts.
Old 12-15-2013, 10:18 AM   #47
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
I always figured that they would make enough of a big deal if I ever had to defend myself/family that I was using real bullets let alone talons or hydros instead of nerf darts.
Yup, kids getting suspended from school now for finger guns!! I never would have made it through grade school these days.
Old 12-16-2013, 06:03 PM   #48
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Scott,
I have an LCP with a Crimson Trace.
Great concealed carry weapon.
I use the finger extender made by Ruger.
Will soon be getting their new extended magazine with extra round.
Only negative is this is a powerhouse when it fires due to size and body material.
Not a gun for distance accuracy but not what I need it for anyway. This is a close combat handgun the size of a suppository.
I alternate it with my S&W Shield, depending on clothing/need.
Old 12-16-2013, 07:38 PM   #49
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

HdM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Scott,
Only negative is this is a powerhouse when it fires due to size and body material.
Not a gun for distance accuracy but not what I need it for anyway. This is a close combat handgun the size of a suppository.
This.

To me this is a "last stand" option, not what I would bring if I was anticipating trouble (but then if I was anticipating trouble I could probably avoid it )

Of course, if concealed carry fire power is what you're after and you have a stff belt and a pair of industrial suspenders there's always this beauty

Last edited by Steve; 12-16-2013 at 07:46 PM.
Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2013, 08:33 PM   #50
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Scott,
Off Topic.
Do they make a extended magazine for the LC9?

The LCP did seem to have some more kick than I thought too.
Old 12-16-2013, 08:36 PM   #51
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
This.

To me this is a "last stand" option, not what I would bring if I was anticipating trouble (but then if I was anticipating trouble I could probably avoid it )

Of course, if concealed carry fire power is what you're after and you have a stiff belt and a pair of industrial suspenders there's always this beauty

I bought this belt and love it!

http://www.511tactical.com/leather-casual-belt-15.html
Old 12-17-2013, 07:37 AM   #52
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
This.

Of course, if concealed carry fire power is what you're after and you have a stff belt and a pair of industrial suspenders there's always this beauty

That gun weighs more than I do.
If it wasn't as equally heavy, would lug my Glock 21 around. For kicks, tried to waist ad carry it for a brief moment. My pants sagged to the point of falling off on side of gun.

BTW, although double the price and then some of LCP, I prefer my wife's Sig P238 HD.
What an awesome little gun that is heavy enough to totally eliminate the kick I hate so much on LCP. Has night sights included. Very accurate.
Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #53
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Catfish's comment about using same/same ammo makes sense to me, for lots of reasons.
I have always preferred 9mm, .45 being way too much to hold down, for my liking.
Whether I'm prepared to go to .380 across the board is another question.
Regardless, I still intend to pick up this little gun, even if only to play with it for a season or two.

A thought on the laser...
I have no intention of using the laser for anything but fun. To think that a person can draw, place a laser, and fire in a reasonable amount of time is fantasy, in my eye.
The LCP has small sights, if I recall correctly. Not that it matters. I have never shot a handgun using the sights unless it was to get a feel for an unfamiliar gun, or starting with a new gun to establish a base.
I think it's incredibly important for me to know my handgun as an extension of myself. In close quarters, I doubt that I'll have a direct shot. If I need to shoot around an obstruction with the gun off the center of my body, I'd better be able to do it, or I'm gonna be in trouble.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #54
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Catfish's comment about using same/same ammo makes sense to me, for lots of reasons.
I have always preferred 9mm, .45 being way too much to hold down, for my liking.
Whether I'm prepared to go to .380 across the board is another question.
Regardless, I still intend to pick up this little gun, even if only to play with it for a season or two.

A thought on the laser...
I have no intention of using the laser for anything but fun. To think that a person can draw, place a laser, and fire in a reasonable amount of time is fantasy, in my eye.
The LCP has small sights, if I recall correctly. Not that it matters. I have never shot a handgun using the sights unless it was to get a feel for an unfamiliar gun, or starting with a new gun to establish a base.
I think it's incredibly important for me to know my handgun as an extension of myself. In close quarters, I doubt that I'll have a direct shot. If I need to shoot around an obstruction with the gun off the center of my body, I'd better be able to do it, or I'm gonna be in trouble.
The LCP has awful sights. Shouldn't even be called sights.
The Crimson Trace is the way to go.
On button is on grip. You can't help but automatically turn it on as you grip gun.
I recommend that one over Lasermax that requires a second step to turn on by having to hit toggle with index finger.
I can't phantom using LCP without laser as otherwise hard to be accurate with it.
If looking to stay small and you can spring $600, go for Sig P238. It is a mini 1911.