Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 02-12-2012, 10:04 AM   #21
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: My humidor smells like *&#@

I'll try the baking soda method first and let you know..

ACID - the rebirth of cigars and death of humidors
fencefixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:09 AM   #22
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

As others said try the Baking Soda and if it doesn't work just change that humidors duty to Flavored Cigars as I guarantee if you spend enough time here a 40ct would only last you a month or two anyway. Trust me! Find yourself a nice large humidor and have that one be strictly for non-flavored cigars. If you end of spending a lot of time here think about what size humidor you will realistically need and than times that by 4 and you should be fine for at least 6 more months.
I have been working at a local B&M part time a night or two a week and the problem you ran into is the exact same reason why when I have someone buying flavored cigars I always ask them if they also smoke non flavored cigars. If they answer "Yes" than I always mention that they should consider storing their flavored cigars outside of the humidor that they store their non flavored unless of course they don't mind their non flavored cigars tasting like their flavored collection. Most guys say they already do that while others thank me as they never realized or gave it any thought. The guys who never realized it I usually offer a water pillow to so they can at least move the flavored stuff to a big zip-lock or Tupperware.
Old 02-12-2012, 10:20 AM   #23
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoflex View Post
If you end of spending a lot of time here think about what size humidor you will realistically need and than times that by 4 and you should be fine for at least 6 more months.
This. You will find soon you have some favorites and 5 packs after 5 packs you buy, you'll wanna eventually start getting boxes, and that's where storage really becomes an impact. With the cost of most humidors, I almost would suggest just getting a Wine cooler or Igloo cooler right away lol. Save yourself the money in the future.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:05 AM   #24
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

fencefixer will become famous soon enoughfencefixer will become famous soon enough

I have the Treasure Dome already but I have a load of cigars coming so I was hoping to have something ready because I'm pretty sure it'll be overflowing. If all else fails I'll make a tupperdor. I don't think I'll be able to fit another 80 cigars in here:

Old 02-12-2012, 11:06 AM   #25
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Lol fencefixer... I think it's time to get some tupperware out and get on the ball on getting a cooler lol.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #26
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Lol fencefixer... I think it's time to get some tupperware out and get on the ball on getting a cooler lol.
You guys are bad influence. Already checking craigslist for some old wine coolers...
Old 02-12-2012, 11:12 AM   #27
SNKBYT
PATRIOT and VETERAN

First Name: Alex
Trading: (30)
Partagas Army (Disabled Vet)
SNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to allSNKBYT is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by maninblack View Post
ACID's.....nuff said. Burn it and chalk it up to lesson learned.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:16 AM   #28
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Placed Acids in as 20 count desktop when I first got seriously into cigars a few years ago...tried everything, baking soda, scrubbing...still smells of it. Burn it and chalk it up to experience.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #29
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Ya know what, I just thought of this. It's a trick I used for years when I had rental properties, it'd take smell out of ANYTHING.
I used it to destink whole apartments, especially smoker's apartments.
Ammonia.
I'd get a gallon, set it out in dishes, close the place up, come back in a week, and every smell was gone.
With your humi, if baking soda or bleach solution don't work, get a dish of ammonia and sit it in a big green garbage bag. Open the humi up and sit it in there, too. Tie it off and come back in a week or two.
I'd really, honestly be shocked if that didn't work.
Don't use lemon ammonia, just regular ammonia.
Old 02-12-2012, 11:22 AM   #30
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

Keep it full of infused sticks and use it just for that purpose.....then when the ladies come over you're in great shape!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:33 AM   #31
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelCityBoy View Post
Keep it full of infused sticks and use it just for that purpose.....then when the ladies come over you're in great shape!
You, Shane and Taki heading over there? Llr
Old 02-12-2012, 11:36 AM   #32
SteelCityBoy
7th Heaven Will Commeth!!

First Name: Ken
Trading: (21)
Bolivar
SteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura aboutSteelCityBoy has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo_5_0 View Post
You, Shane and Taki heading over there? Llr
On second thought I have a better idea....send the whole thing infused sticks and all right to the front door of Mike's house! I hear those things are right up his ally!
SteelCityBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:54 AM   #33
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Just keep it for other infused sticks. Those humis are cheap enough not to worry about trying to clean it- just get another or a tupperdor or a coolerdor. I love my cheap, roomy coolerdors!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #34
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Trading: (3)
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

I feel for you, my wife loves flavored cigars and keeps wanting to buy them when I'm at the tobacco shop, I only let her get one or 2 because I'm not a fan of flavored cigars and I don't want her stuff stinking up my good ones. I finally bit the bullet and bought a second Humi since mine was getting full anyways, she can put her Acids and whatever else she likes in my old one once I get the new one seasoned up.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 07:27 PM   #35
Malazan
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Trading: (0)
Army (Served With Honor)
Malazan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by oooo35980 View Post
I feel for you, my wife loves flavored cigars and keeps wanting to buy them when I'm at the tobacco shop, I only let her get one or 2 because I'm not a fan of flavored cigars and I don't want her stuff stinking up my good ones. I finally bit the bullet and bought a second Humi since mine was getting full anyways, she can put her Acids and whatever else she likes in my old one once I get the new one seasoned up.

I'm starting to have the same problem, my wife loves the infused
Old 02-26-2012, 01:49 AM   #36
mojo65
Relocation Engineer

First Name: mark
Trading: (4)
Punch
mojo65 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fencefixer View Post
I'll try the baking soda method first and let you know..

ACID - the rebirth of cigars and death of humidors
I warned you about the acid mess to start with but you didnt listen...
Old 02-26-2012, 01:54 AM   #37
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo65 View Post
I warned you about the acid mess to start with but you didnt listen...
I know I know.. yes you did.. but DC sends love, and our friends needed proof of that. The things we do for our friends..
Old 02-29-2012, 08:19 PM   #38
hapi
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Hapisan
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
hapi is on a distinguished road

Ahish.. I do long time same misteak with Acid cigars in 50 cout humidor. I learn bad too.

-Hapi.
hapi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 08:38 PM   #39
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

WAIT JUST A MINUTE! Maybe there WAS a prostitue in it! What aren't you telling us, DC? Huh? Huh?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #40
fencefixer
Feeling at Home

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
WAIT JUST A MINUTE! Maybe there WAS a prostitue in it! What aren't you telling us, DC? Huh? Huh?
Sorry bud, no more jokes from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
Ya know what, I just thought of this. It's a trick I used for years when I had rental properties, it'd take smell out of ANYTHING.
I used it to destink whole apartments, especially smoker's apartments.
Ammonia.
I'd get a gallon, set it out in dishes, close the place up, come back in a week, and every smell was gone.
With your humi, if baking soda or bleach solution don't work, get a dish of ammonia and sit it in a big green garbage bag. Open the humi up and sit it in there, too. Tie it off and come back in a week or two.
I'd really, honestly be shocked if that didn't work.
Don't use lemon ammonia, just regular ammonia.
Scott, you rock. This worked. Left a little dish with ammonia in it, a week later and a little bit of airing out - the stench is gone. Great trick, thanks again.