Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 05-31-2011, 03:52 PM   #1
jsnake
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jake
Trading: (22)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
jsnake will become famous soon enoughjsnake will become famous soon enough
Default 601 La Bomba Robusto

Size: 5X52
Wrapper: Unknown
Binder: Unknown
Filler: Unknown
Price: Unknown

A short time ago EO Brands ran a promotion for the upcoming 601 La Bomba to give cigar smokers a preview of this new cigar to the 601 lineup. I was one of the lucky ones who received 3 samples of the new 601 La Bomba offering. Eddie Ortega wouldn't give any details other then to say the cigar is made in Esteli, Nicaragua. That and he said this cigar kicked his butt. The new 601 La Bomba is coming out in 3 sizes and I am reviewing the 5X52 robusto size. Before you run off saying 601 stole from the Pepin Firecracker you should know that these are being made by Jose Pepin Garcia. Release date is scheduled for 06/25/2011. I received 3 samples from EO Brands and gave them some time to rest before reviewing.

Construction: The first thing anyone will notice is the long fuse like tail coming off the triple cap. It isn't something new but who cares. The look is fitting with the concept that 601 is going for and I happen to like it. When Eddie Ortega put out the above picture I thought the color and band fit well with their concept. Notice the Napalm on the foot band. I am not sure if each size will have a unique name but I like it. The dark wrapper is very oily and smooth as silk. There are a few tiny veins and I get an earthy, spicy aroma off the wrapper. The aroma from the foot was earthy, hay, spice, and pepper that made my eyes water and sent me into a sneezing fit. The pre-light draw was was spicy with strong pepper and it made my lips tingle. My samples were unbanded and provided by EO Brands.

First Third: Talk about an immediate pepper blast. I feel like I took a handful of pepper and threw it in my mouth. After the shock of pepper wears off there are nice earthy, wood, and leather flavors. The pepper does tone down and isn't so overwhelming after a short while. The draw is effortless and the amount of smoke coming from this cigar is wonderful. Towards the end of this third the cigar has smoothed out while the pepper and spice is noticed more on he retrohale. Surprisingly the retrohale is not strong. I was expecting watery eyes and a kick to the sinuses. I really felt the fullness of the cigar in my gut at this point. There was an uh-oh moment as to how I was going to finish the cigar. The ash was a little flaky at the foot but held tight after.

Second Third: The cigar has mellowed out some and that fullness in my gut disappears. Earth and wood flavors continue and I can only describe the smoke as a dry smoke. I am not sure how to explain it exactly and I am not saying this dryness is bad. The flavors have a toasty dryness to them. The only pepper I get now is through the nose. Leather starts to creep back into the mix towards the end of this third. The burn line is sharp and stays pretty even which impresses me since the La Bomba had a short rest in my humidor.

Final Third: The final third is much like the second third. Pepper starts to make a come back but never gets crazy like the beginning was. There is some definite power to this cigar but it didn't lay me out like I was worried it would after the horrible feeling I had in my gut at the end of the first third. I wouldn't say this is a very complex cigar but it wasn't boring and one dimensional.

Final Thoughts: I am a fan of 601 and the other cigar offerings from EO Brands. Without a doubt this is a very new and unique offering to their product line. The construction of these cigars are beautiful and I am sure some people will buy just based off that. I am a solid medium/full cigar smoker and this cigar had some kick but not enough to make me regret smoking it. If you like that full feeling and gut punch I think you will enjoy trying this cigar out. There was a very unique dryness to the flavors of this cigar which is something I have not experienced throughout. I think the only way for you to see what I am talking about is to smoke one yourself. I am not sure if I would buy a box or not at this time. The 601 Blue, Murcielago, and Cubao lines are more to my liking and are always staples in my humidor. The 601 La Bomba concept is great and the packaging is very eye catching. If you are a cigar smoker looking for a little extra in the strength department I think you should try these out for sure. You mild and medium guys probably want to sit this one out. I know it might be hard because these look so good but work your way up to it if you decide to go for it.

Thank you Eddie Ortega for the samples. I am looking forward to trying the other two sizes.

The best cigar is a cigar shared with a friend.

See the pictures here: http://cigarcatadore.blogspot.com/20...a-robusto.html

Last edited by jsnake; 05-31-2011 at 03:58 PM.
jsnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
emopunker2004
Central Fla rollin

First Name: Justin
Trading: (46)
HdM
emopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to allemopunker2004 is a name known to all
Default Re: 601 La Bomba Robusto

the link has one too many http:// in it

Thanks for the review.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:57 PM   #3
jsnake
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by emopunker2004 View Post
the link has one too many http:// in it

Thanks for the review.
Thank you for pointing that out.
Old 05-31-2011, 03:58 PM   #4
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Here's the proper link

http://cigarcatadore.blogspot.com/20...a-robusto.html
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:03 PM   #5
jsnake
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
Thanks. I got it to work. Fat fingers on a netbook is my excuse.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Gonna be watching for these.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #7
KidRock
Moped Herf Crew

First Name: Jon
Trading: (17)
Trinidad
KidRock has disabled reputation

when do these come out?
Old 05-31-2011, 04:15 PM   #8
jsnake
Have My Own Room

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidRock View Post
when do these come out?
June 25th in 3 sizes

5 x 52
5.5 x 46
6 x 50
Old 05-31-2011, 04:29 PM   #9
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Nice review, saw Erik Espinosa this weekend and was hoping to snag one of these, but he didn't have any available, looking forward to the release, especially the 46 rg
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about

nice review!

Dan
Old 05-31-2011, 08:57 PM   #11
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Great review! Will be looking for these when they come out!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:43 PM   #12
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

I smoked the smaller ring guage one of these and it was fantastic!
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote