Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 02-27-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Trading: (2)
Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough
Default 601 Red Robusto

Cigar: 601 Red Robusto
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Habano Oscuro
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Nicaraguan
Vitola: Robusto 5x50
Price: Around $6, got this one in a pack of 16 of the 601 varieties for $50.

Setting: Sunroom, about 7:30, about 50 degrees out, pairing with a Barq's rootbeer.

Pre-light: The cigar as a very nice dark, oily habano rosado wrapper on it. It has small to medium veins, a tad lumpy, and very firm to the touch with a slight soft spot just above the wrapper. The foot and wrapper have a very pleasant sweet smell to it, almost refreshing. The cap cut easily using the Cranial Screw Top method and left a nice draw with a sweet woody flavor.

First third: Once the foot was fully lit I was rewarded with a mouthful of sweet woody tobacco flavored smoke with only a slight tingle on the side of the tongue. After that initial puff it gets really leathery. The finish coats the mouth with a very pleasant slightly sweet after taste. At about the 3/4 inch mark a spice flavor, kinda cinammony/nutmeggy just popped, it was quite surprising and I actually let out a "wow". The ash, firm and light gray, dropped right about the inch mark leaving a nice cherry at the end.

Second third: The leathery undertone remains but the flavors are nicely changing. The body is in the medium full range putting out lots of nice smoke. This has been a nicely complex smoke over the constant undertone. There is only the slightest spice to keep things interesting and the finish remains very pleasant. The sweetness is coming back quite nicely too. Though it is getting toward the full range the smoke is not heavy at all, almost refreshing in its taste and consistency. Burn has been very even, only a slight wave and requiring no touchups. I'm not feeling much nic strength, but it is still overall very satisfying.

Final third: As I get to the final third the complexity has lessened but the great flavors remain. The slight spice remains but this cigar is very smooth and pleasant to smoke. The burn has remained excellent, and the draw is nigh perfect. As it gets to the inch and a half mark a nice woody/toasty flavor comes over the top of the leather. The burn time has been pretty good, getting to the nub at about the hour and twenty mark.

Final thoughts: It's been awhile since I've had one of these, but they've always been one of my favs. This smoke was just about perfect. Great flavors, great construction, full bodied without being overwhelming. I have a box of toros that are about a year and a half old that are sitting at the bottom of the cooler that I'm really looking forward to taking out and smoking this weekend.

Liked it: Hell yeah
But again: Definitely, especially when the joecigar deals come
Reccommend: Of course
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Darrell

Default Re: 601 Red Robusto

Nice review, Steve.

The very first BABOTL herf, I handed out a box of the 601 Red Churchills, original release. Bob might still have a few.
Old 02-27-2009, 10:18 PM   #3
Mr B
Livin' in a Van....

Trading: (79)
PL
Mr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really niceMr B is just really nice

Very nice review Steve. I just got the 4 pk sampler (Blue, Red, Green, Black) I cant wait to try them after some rest. I had a Blue given to me by Sonic Mike and I loved it. Cant wait to try the other 3 varieties. Hope to see you at the Petaluma herf.
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2009, 10:21 PM   #4
Waynegro1

Very nice review. I had my first yesterday (from ir13, thanks Joey) and even text a buddy about how much I was enjoying it. "WOW", was my response as well. I even smoked it outside on a very windy day and didn't have to touch up once.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:30 AM   #5
sofaman
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
sofaman is on a distinguished road

Great review on a great smoke
sofaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 06:51 AM   #6
rizzle
Order Restored

Trading: (23)
Bolivar
rizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the roughrizzle is a jewel in the rough

Had my first of the Reds a few weeks ago at one of our herfs. It was a churchill ahd I had been dying to smoke this thing, just hadn't had the time to devote to it.

The whole time I smoked it I couldn't stop saying, "man, I like this". It is a great cigar. I'm gonna have to get some robustos for sure.

Great review Ratters!
rizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 07:43 AM   #7
greenwit

Have all the 601s in my humi. Only complaint is that the blues sometimes don't like to burn properly.
Old 02-28-2009, 08:52 AM   #8
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review Steve! I see this is the cigar of the month we have to review over on ARF. I will get mine done as soon as some warm weather hits.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:25 AM   #9
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I too smoked one of these yesterday and thought it was very good. Thanks for the review.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 09:46 AM   #10
Lucky_Hippo
A Cigar = 42

First Name: Gary
Lucky_Hippo is on a distinguished road

Nice review and pics Steve. I'm one of those guys who usually don't nub cigars. For these babies, I make exceptions.

I love the 601 Red robustos. They are one of my favorite vitolas to try and keep on hand for this blend.
Old 02-28-2009, 10:20 AM   #11
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

Great review. I'm a big fan of these too.
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 10:22 AM   #12
white_s2k
The Dude Abides

First Name: Josh
Trading: (20)
white_s2k is on a distinguished road

I bought a 10-pack a few months ago, and the few that I have smoked so far have been GREAT. Thanks for the review
Old 02-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #13
NickyTeen
My barn door is open

First Name: Kriss
Trading: (12)
Partagas
NickyTeen will become famous soon enoughNickyTeen will become famous soon enough

Another awesome review on an excellent smoke!! Thanks for the review Steve.
NickyTeen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:05 PM   #14
Homebrewer
Love'm Tatuaje

Trading: (9)
Homebrewer is on a distinguished road

Great review! These are downright delicious and delectable.
Homebrewer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 12:10 PM   #15
D_A
Dave's not here

First Name: David
Trading: (7)
Bolivar
D_A is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homebrewer View Post
Great review! These are downright delicious and delectable.
D_A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2009, 08:03 PM   #16
Ratters
Have My Own Room

Ratters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the roughRatters is a jewel in the rough

Well, I'm having the year and a half old toro. Very smooth, sweet, and tasty, but totally missing the leather flavor.
Ratters is offline   Reply With Quote