Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Troops Room

Old 12-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #1
boxmonkey
NUBinator

First Name: Tony
Trading: (1)
Cohiba AirForce (Active)
boxmonkey is on a distinguished road
Default who knows pistols?

I'm looking at making my first pistol purchase. currently i own an AK-47 and want to start expanding my gun collection.

I've been told i should look at 1911's. and the Rugar SR-1911 is a fine place to start. what are y'alls thoughts?
boxmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 02:12 PM   #2
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future
Default Re: who knows pistols?

What are you going to use it for? Target practice? Self defense? Look at the first firearm thread.
Old 12-10-2011, 02:51 PM   #3
Marlon K
2nd Place is first loser

First Name: Marlon
Trading: (3)
Bolivar
Marlon K is on a distinguished road

1911 's are very nice. If your are going to carry get a Springfield XDM very good gun for the money
Old 12-10-2011, 03:00 PM   #4
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (61)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

As stated, 1911s are nice guns.

My preferred carry gun is a Sig Sauer P220 .45ACP.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:43 PM   #5
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

Find a range where you can rent and shoot a decent variety of guns, this will tell you more about what fits your hand and shooting style best. If you're looking for what everyone prefers, you'll get a wide variety of opinions, I love my Sig P229 .40 and Kahr PM9.
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 10:40 PM   #6
boxmonkey
NUBinator

Cohiba AirForce (Active)

I've fired only one hand gun of unknown make that was I believe a 9mm. I have only fired 2 rifles one being an M-16 and my AK-47. I do prefer my AK for unknown reasons. probably because it is mine. I have two ranges near by and know a few people with different guns. it's just hard to get everyone together for a range day.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:58 PM   #7
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

You've got a shop with an indoor range and it looks like they rent guns. Try several different makes in different caliber's to see what you like or dislike about each one. http://www.wtsguns.com/
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 11:04 PM   #8
kickerb

Old 12-11-2011, 06:09 AM   #9
Dr Voss

I have both 1911 and XDM, one factor to look at is the size of your hands. The XDM is a double stack mag and so the grip becomes pretty big, not a problem if you have large hands. The 1911 will be a lot better in smaller hands due to the single stack mag. My 1911 is a Kimber and I absolutely love it and the XDM is a lot of fun too. I did a trigger job on the XDM and made it much smoother as well.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:27 AM   #10
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlon K View Post
1911 's are very nice. If your are going to carry get a Springfield XDM very good gun for the money
The Sprigfield get's my vote too! 40 cal. is my round of choice.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:45 AM   #11
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by MurphysLaw View Post
Find a range where you can rent and shoot a decent variety of guns, this will tell you more about what fits your hand and shooting style best. If you're looking for what everyone prefers, you'll get a wide variety of opinions, I love my Sig P229 .40 and Kahr PM9.
I Have Huge Hands, So You Definitely Need To Fire Different Weapons Before Buying. I Love My Glock 4th Gen. Model 22 .40 With X-Lg Grips.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:42 AM   #12
Ncpsycho
Newly obsessed

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (5)
Cohiba
Ncpsycho is on a distinguished road

Also keep in mind the size of the gun if you plan on concealing it.... Im a big fan of glocks ....i have 4 ... I also own some revolvers ... A 1911 ... And a smith and wesoon bodyguard for deep concealment- it really depends on what you plan on doing with it. You can have a .50 cal in your night stand but concealing it would be an issue
Ncpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:09 PM   #13
boxmonkey
NUBinator

Cohiba AirForce (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
You've got a shop with an indoor range and it looks like they rent guns. Try several different makes in different caliber's to see what you like or dislike about each one. http://www.wtsguns.com/
I drive by wt's every day. I'll see about stopping in there sometime this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ncpsycho View Post
Also keep in mind the size of the gun if you plan on concealing it.... Im a big fan of glocks ....i have 4 ... I also own some revolvers ... A 1911 ... And a smith and wesoon bodyguard for deep concealment- it really depends on what you plan on doing with it. You can have a .50 cal in your night stand but concealing it would be an issue
welcome to the site. aren't you on nub live? I want to get my concealed carry and know of a good place to take it. so yea eventually I'll pick a good concealed carrier.
Old 12-11-2011, 06:20 PM   #14
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

if you want a 1911 the Ruger is a great choice. My brother has one and has been very happy with it. I have a springfield Range Officer and it has been great as well for about 100 more.

If you want something more "modern" I really really like the Sig P226/229 in 9mm or .40.

I had a springfield XD40 for a while and it was nice, but I liked the Gen 4 Glock 23 and the Sigs better.

But I would definitely follow the advice Bobarian gave, try different guns, you'll have to learn if you prefer SA/DA, DA only, etc etc.

1911s are my favorite, but to each his own.
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 06:22 PM   #15
Marlon K
2nd Place is first loser

First Name: Marlon
Trading: (3)
Bolivar
Marlon K is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Voss View Post
I have both 1911 and XDM, one factor to look at is the size of your hands. The XDM is a double stack mag and so the grip becomes pretty big, not a problem if you have large hands. The 1911 will be a lot better in smaller hands due to the single stack mag. My 1911 is a Kimber and I absolutely love it and the XDM is a lot of fun too. I did a trigger job on the XDM and made it much smoother as well.

Very good post
Old 12-11-2011, 07:27 PM   #16
Ncpsycho
Newly obsessed

First Name: Kevin
Cohiba
Ncpsycho is on a distinguished road

Yes nub live is great
Ncpsycho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 08:05 PM   #17
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

nicest pistol that i have is my walther p99. smooth as hell.

for my concealed, i have the XD 40 subcompact.

my next purchase will the the Remington R1911 45
Old 12-11-2011, 08:25 PM   #18
proguy747
Hey hurry up!

First Name: Marc
proguy747 is on a distinguished road

buy a 9mm first. then save up for a real nice possible custom 1911. 9mm is cheap and easy to shoot and ammo is everywhere. Trust me you will be hooked and want another gun. That is when you buy that custom 1911. For 9mm look into Glock, XD, and Smith & Wesson M&P. I preferred the M&P. I have a Sig 226 all stainless in .40 as my home protection weapon. But I must admit I am more accurate over time with the 9mm. That is not saying if you come in my house you wont get blown away but the grouping on my M&P is better. I wish for a 1911 but i am going to have to wait as I want a Wilson Combat.
Old 12-11-2011, 10:14 PM   #19
bigswol2
Feeling at Home

Trading: (7)
bigswol2 will become famous soon enoughbigswol2 will become famous soon enough

Good luck on finding that SR1911. They are in short supply around here. Personally I'd get the Ruger if you can find it as I'm on the waiting list here. If not go with a SIG 220 carry in 45. That gun is as reliable as they come.
bigswol2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 10:36 PM   #20
boxmonkey
NUBinator

Cohiba AirForce (Active)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigswol2 View Post
Good luck on finding that SR1911. They are in short supply around here. Personally I'd get the Ruger if you can find it as I'm on the waiting list here. If not go with a SIG 220 carry in 45. That gun is as reliable as they come.
Have you tried Jims? heard he has good prices. just have to go behind his house to get to his shop.

I'm looking and have time to wait so the rugar is what I'll end up with. If I can find a place to shoot one and enjoy it. I'm going to hit up WT's hopefully later this week to try some different guns out. hopefully he has at least a 1911 to fire.