Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 01-31-2015, 12:47 PM   #2521
gliderryder
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Robert
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
gliderryder is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Hey Flynnster did you get the address I sent you? Just curious.
gliderryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2015, 04:00 PM   #2522
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderryder View Post
PM might be more effective, just in case he doesn't check the thread.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:09 AM   #2523
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

First Name: Brandon
Trading: (2)
Army (Disabled Vet)
Byaah is on a distinguished road

Hello folks!

I am having a hard time trying to find online places to buy "A" sized cigars. I am wanting to do prep work now for my bday in Aug so I can have a VERY solid weeks worth of cigars to smoke and I would love to have a bunch of A's. I have found a few cigars here and there but almost all are out of stock.
Byaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:21 AM   #2524
WhiteMamba
I'm scared of Neil.

First Name: Michael
Trading: (28)
RyJ
WhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura aboutWhiteMamba has a spectacular aura about

If you tell us what kind of cigars you are looking for some guys on here could probably help you track down almost anything. If the cigar is in fact called "A" then I am an idiot and I've never heard of them.
Love one another with brotherly affection. Outdo one another in showing honor. Romans 12:10
WhiteMamba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2015, 06:43 AM   #2525
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

If I understand you correctly, "A" sized cigars are also called Gran Coronas / Grand Coronas / Giant Coronas. Famous Smoke, Cheap Humidors and CI all have a number of cigars in this size. I like the Arturo Fuente Hemingway Masterpeice.

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2015, 07:05 PM   #2526
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Army (Disabled Vet)

First, let me apologize for the spam of questions. These had been asked by me on another site and I did not get enough feedback to feel I understood the answers if any were given at all. With that said, let the learning begin!

QUESTION #1
  • With the high growth rate of tobacco how quick are the farmers able to turn around and use the fields without destroying the soil content by over farming? Or do they inject so much nutrients and micro manage soil content that they always are able to balance a proper soil composition.

QUESTION #2
  • Why should I join the CRA, what is it that they do and how are the different ways I can help?

QUESTION #3
  • What is the secondary band on Padrons with the serial number for? Is this just an ad gimmick?

QUESTION #4
  • When you shade grow tobacco it thins out and I understand part of this reason is for some wrappers, what are some other reasons to grow shade grown tobacco?

QUESTION #5
  • What are the reasons on the retrohale that my nose may get a burning sensation? Some cigars will do it while others will not. Sometimes the start of a Cigar will do it but the end wont and opposite of that.

On a final and unrelated note, I want to tell people/apologize if it appears I am not very active. I do lurk here almost every day and try to soak up as much as possible. I am still going very strong with Cigars and my palate is developing very nicely. I am so very happy that I got back into this.
Old 04-11-2015, 06:55 AM   #2527
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I'll leave the others for more knowledgeable folks, but the answer to #3 is it's an anti-counterfeiting measure.
Old 04-11-2015, 07:46 AM   #2528
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byaah View Post
First, let me apologize for the spam of questions. These had been asked by me on another site and I did not get enough feedback to feel I understood the answers if any were given at all. With that said, let the learning begin!

QUESTION #1
  • With the high growth rate of tobacco how quick are the farmers able to turn around and use the fields without destroying the soil content by over farming? Or do they inject so much nutrients and micro manage soil content that they always are able to balance a proper soil composition.

QUESTION #2
  • Why should I join the CRA, what is it that they do and how are the different ways I can help?

QUESTION #3
  • What is the secondary band on Padrons with the serial number for? Is this just an ad gimmick?

QUESTION #4
  • When you shade grow tobacco it thins out and I understand part of this reason is for some wrappers, what are some other reasons to grow shade grown tobacco?

QUESTION #5
  • What are the reasons on the retrohale that my nose may get a burning sensation? Some cigars will do it while others will not. Sometimes the start of a Cigar will do it but the end wont and opposite of that.

On a final and unrelated note, I want to tell people/apologize if it appears I am not very active. I do lurk here almost every day and try to soak up as much as possible. I am still going very strong with Cigars and my palate is developing very nicely. I am so very happy that I got back into this.

Tobacco is a very nutrient intensive plant. I forget how many tons of fertilizer per acre are needed, but it's very high, at least according to Pepin when I visited one of his farms in Nicaragua years ago. Jeorge Padron said the same thing when we were over at his farms. I recall some rotation being mentioned, but I don't recall the specific details. I can't speak for what other growers do, but I suppose it's somewhat similar.

CRA is a political lobbying agency with the intent of protecting smokers rights and freedoms. They lobby congressional representatives to get their vote in preventing anti-tobacco legislation. Only you can decide if their efforts are worth your donation. Their website can provide more information and specifics.

The serial number band on higher end Padrons was added as an anti-counterfeiting measure.

That's really about it although different plants have evolved differently to prefer/require different growing conditions. Amount of sunlight is one of these conditions.

Different tobacco has different characteristics. Not all will burn the same.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:43 AM   #2529
Byaah
BYAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Army (Disabled Vet)

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Tobacco is a very nutrient intensive plant. I forget how many tons of fertilizer per acre are needed, but it's very high, at least according to Pepin when I visited one of his farms in Nicaragua years ago. Jeorge Padron said the same thing when we were over at his farms. I recall some rotation being mentioned, but I don't recall the specific details. I can't speak for what other growers do, but I suppose it's somewhat similar.

CRA is a political lobbying agency with the intent of protecting smokers rights and freedoms. They lobby congressional representatives to get their vote in preventing anti-tobacco legislation. Only you can decide if their efforts are worth your donation. Their website can provide more information and specifics.

The serial number band on higher end Padrons was added as an anti-counterfeiting measure.

That's really about it although different plants have evolved differently to prefer/require different growing conditions. Amount of sunlight is one of these conditions.

Different tobacco has different characteristics. Not all will burn the same.
Thank you very much for your response. I will go ahead and check out the CRA website. I hope you have a good day!
Old 04-11-2015, 07:00 PM   #2530
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by gliderryder View Post
So sorry about that. I did indeed! I'll get it out to you soon.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 10:14 PM   #2531
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

gliderryder hasn't logged on since January.

Please use PMs, this thread is for beginner questions.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 05-10-2015, 07:36 AM   #2532
idrankwhat
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Mark
AirForce (Served With Honor)
idrankwhat is on a distinguished road

Would you keep a different humidity in your long term storage humidor than in your short term waiting to be smoked humidor?
idrankwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #2533
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrankwhat View Post
Would you keep a different humidity in your long term storage humidor than in your short term waiting to be smoked humidor?
I don't. Low 60s for me works well for both.
Old 05-10-2015, 08:00 AM   #2534
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Trading: (48)
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
No I keep them both relatively the same.
Old 05-15-2015, 11:44 AM   #2535
idrankwhat
Just in from the Storm

Was looking for a ring gauge discussion. I know there are all kinds of opinions out there. My math makes me think the wrapper would be proportional to the ring gauge since pi of the circumference is increased proportional to the amount of filler inside. However, I've found I'm trying some large ring gauges like the Nub and some lanceros. I think I'm sort of leaning toward the lanceros a bit more than the larger ring gauges. I'm not quite sure why, but I think I get fuller flavor or is it just the brand I happen to be smoking. I don't see as many lanceros available as I do the larger ring gauges. Also I'm still new and making opinions on only a few samples at a time.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:36 PM   #2536
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Lanceros have less filler and binder than larger rg cigars, so the wrapper should play a most significant role in their flavor. Not necessarily in them being "fuller", that is likely more a product of the specific cigar than the size. A Joya de Nicaragua or LFD will likely be a fuller cigar in either a lancer or large rg format as compared to, oh say for an extreme example, a Macanudo of either format.

Unfortunately, the makers of cigars have downsized (no pun intended) their lines of smaller RG cigars, and upped the Jawbreakers. Sucks for those of us who know how good a smaller rg cigar can be.

Last edited by icehog3; 05-15-2015 at 12:59 PM.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:46 PM   #2537
big_jaygee
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Jason
Trading: (59)
big_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to beholdbig_jaygee is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Lanceros have less filler and binder than larger rg cigars, so the wrapper should play a most significant role in their flavor. Not necessarily in them being "fuller", that is likely more a product of the specific cigar than the size. A Joya de Nicaragua or LFD will likely be a duller cigar in either a lancer or large rg format as compared to, oh say for an extreme example, a Macanudo of either format.

Unfortunately, the makers of cigars have downsized (no pun intended) their lines of smaller RG cigars, and upped the Jawbreakers. Sucks for those of us who know how good a smaller rg cigar can be.
i think he means "fuller" and not "duller"..but i agree with the above..and yes it is a shame that 56+ rg cigars are taking over the market.

i usually stick to a 46rg and down with a corona or corona gorda being my preferred vitola but i do love a good lancero
big_jaygee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:59 PM   #2538
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by big_jaygee View Post
i think he means "fuller" and not "duller"..but i agree with the above..and yes it is a shame that 56+ rg cigars are taking over the market.

i usually stick to a 46rg and down with a corona or corona gorda being my preferred vitola but i do love a good lancero
I did, Jason, thanks for the assist.

Old 06-03-2015, 05:56 PM   #2539
idrankwhat
Just in from the Storm

I got some empty boxes from my local B&M store to put some of the many samples I've bought in. I put them into my coolidor and now it smells more like the stale smoke of the B&M than the spanish cedar and cigars of my regular humidor. Any ideas how to get rid of the stale smoke smell without throwing out the nice boxes I got?
Old 06-03-2015, 06:05 PM   #2540
Scottastic
ROFLCOPTER

First Name: Scott
Trading: (8)
Partagas
Scottastic will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I got some empty boxes from my local B&M store to put some of the many samples I've bought in. I put them into my coolidor and now it smells more like the stale smoke of the B&M than the spanish cedar and cigars of my regular humidor. Any ideas how to get rid of the stale smoke smell without throwing out the nice boxes I got?
While i havent tried this with cigar boxes, you can get odor out of wood drawers by filling them with crumpled newspaper and charcoal for about a week.

Professional window licker on the short bus.
Scottastic is offline   Reply With Quote