Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 01-24-2009, 10:22 PM   #641
Blaylock
Just in from the Storm

Trading: (0)
Blaylock is on a distinguished road
Default Re: It's happening

Wasn't sure if I should post this but I will because it sort of puts things into perspective a bit. As many know, I am a Mod over there, and if you know me, I try hard not to be a combative person. In this new position, I have volunteered to make decisions, hopefully for the "good" of the membership. Some of them are not well received and I apologize if I have offended anyone.

Today I receive a personal threat, which I feel puts me and my whole family in jeopardy.

These are Cigar boards and we all signed up to discuss the things we enjoy doing and hopefully to build friendships along the way. When it becomes personal, its time to step back and take a look at what we're doing here.

I enjoy visiting several boards, because I like the comarodity and discussions that take place. I truly do hope that we can get back to that soon!

Dave
Old 01-24-2009, 10:31 PM   #642
MajorCaptSilly
Sklee

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Bolivar
MajorCaptSilly has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blaylock View Post
Wasn't sure if I should post this but I will because it sort of puts things into perspective a bit. As many know, I am a Mod over there, and if you know me, I try hard not to be a combative person. In this new position, I have volunteered to make decisions, hopefully for the "good" of the membership. Some of them are not well received and I apologize if I have offended anyone.

Today I receive a personal threat, which I feel puts me and my whole family in jeopardy.

These are Cigar boards and we all signed up to discuss the things we enjoy doing and hopefully to build friendships along the way. When it becomes personal, its time to step back and take a look at what we're doing here.

I enjoy visiting several boards, because I like the comarodity and discussions that take place. I truly do hope that we can get back to that soon!

Dave
That's really sad. If you don't like the new board, don't go there but that's no way to behave. I'm sorry that happened, Dave.

MCS
Old 01-24-2009, 10:37 PM   #643
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by MajorCaptSilly View Post
That's really sad. If you don't like the new board, don't go there but that's no way to behave. I'm sorry that happened, Dave.

MCS
Got quite a few over the years when I modded there. (assuming it happened there) Easy to read too more into them than intended, I always did, but hard for them at any level not to freak. Did you post about it there as well? Threating a member on any board post or PM is grounds for expulsion or at minimum a long vacation. One of the few benefits of unpaid janitorial duty is the immediate response and protection of the site owners for these types of things.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:40 PM   #644
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

Trading: (4)
RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Sigh...glad to be "committed"!

I wonder if anyone got my quips at the old site about "Penn Central Lives" and "reaching for the black-and-yellow lever next to my seat".

(Hint on the last one...in a military plane, that's the LAST lever you want to grab hold of!)
Old 01-24-2009, 10:41 PM   #645
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

I agree that personal threats are uncalled for. Sorry that you have to deal with that Dave.
Old 01-24-2009, 10:46 PM   #646
M1903A1
Have My Own Room

RA
M1903A1 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by MedicCook View Post
I agree that personal threats are uncalled for. Sorry that you have to deal with that Dave.

It's just a 'net board, already!
Old 01-24-2009, 10:53 PM   #647
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

In the words of the Great Booker T...

"Save the drama fo yo mamma!!"
Old 01-24-2009, 11:31 PM   #648
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Sorry someone saw fit to threaten you in any way, Dave. That is completely unacceptable.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 01-25-2009, 12:23 AM   #649
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough

Quote:

Dave
That's messed up. I hope you guys make a report to the FBI; making a threat like that can be a serious matter.
Old 01-25-2009, 12:40 AM   #650
ThreeSheets

I really tried, but don't think I am going back.

Old 01-25-2009, 04:40 AM   #651
pmwz
Adjusting to the Life

pmwz is on a distinguished road

asked them to delete my account because puff is overr here germany a word for whorehouse and i dont want to be associated with a site with such a name.
Lets wait and see if they grant my wish...
Old 01-25-2009, 07:14 AM   #652
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Just a question. Does anyone remember signing or agreeing to a membership agreement with Puff? I know I did with CS and I did with the Asylum, but I didn't with Puff. From what a friend told me, the only thing that CS could sell was what was posted before the sale was completed. That since I didn't sign or agree to anything with the new owner, then he wouldn't necessarily own anything I posted after the sale was completed. Unfortunately he would own the membership list including the user profiles and he could do what he wanted to with that material - even selling it to a spammer unless it was something prohibited in the sales contract.

My time swimming around over there is probably over anyway because I just made a post questioning the whole "forum owns your post" concept. I tried to find and read the membership agreement over there and couldn't find a link to it.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:44 AM   #653
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:

Dave
Seriously f'ed up! Press charges against that person. Threats are completely uncalled for on a message board.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:50 AM   #654
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Dave,

Give them my address if they want to threaten anyone. I'd love to test out this new "stand your ground" law they have in Florida.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:41 PM   #655
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all

I don't know why my Puff PM box was restricted to 50 PMs, but it was tonight. No warning, no notation, nothing.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:51 PM   #656
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
I don't know why my Puff PM box was restricted to 50 PMs, but it was tonight. No warning, no notation, nothing.
I've still got a 100 pm limit there for now.

Insert quote here.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:53 PM   #657
Andyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by replicant_argent View Post
Oh I think you know why!

I got nuthin!?!?

Last edited by Andyman; 01-25-2009 at 09:00 PM.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:54 PM   #658
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

LGC

All I know is that I have a PM box of 1,000 here.
Old 01-25-2009, 08:59 PM   #659
omowasu
Fell ROTT

First Name: Scott II
Trading: (3)
JL
omowasu has disabled reputation

Quote:

I have had the same problems on other boards... I have received email threats and other questionable communication before. The first one was scary - after that, I took them all with a grain of salt.

It is very unfortunate that folks act that way - after all, it is a cigar board, and nothing else. Some folks become totally absorbed in it and it becomes a way of life, others hide behind the relative anonymity of the public Internet and throw threats that they could not possibly follow up on.

Either way, it sucks, and I am sorry to hear that you are getting harassed. There are several folks in our crew that would be happy to assist, I am sure!

If the person making the threats doesnt have your name and address, there isnt really much they can do, IMO...
Old 01-25-2009, 09:02 PM   #660
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Quote:
Dave
Things appear to be getting waaay out of hand! It's cute to make funny statements, but, jeez, enough already! Don't go over there if you don't like it anymore. But to nag here about there is getting as old as nagging over there about over there! And threatening people is beyond the pale. Don't know what kind of threat this was, but in this day and age you can certainly make that person deeply regret what he did- and so you should! Very sorry this happened- on a damn cigar board of all things!!! Sad, very sad- and pathetic!