Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Which option should I take?
Take the internship NOW (2nd Junior Internship) 16 59.26%
Go for the internship LATER (Senior Internship) 11 40.74%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-02-2008, 09:48 PM   #21
Seanohue
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Sean
Trading: (7)
HUpmann
Seanohue is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Need help making a BIG decision. Please...

Go for Option A, IMO. Like SeanGAR said, with the state of the economy, you should secure a job now rather than waiting.
Seanohue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 10:36 PM   #22
CoventryCat86
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
CoventryCat86 is on a distinguished road

Geez, it's almost way too confusing for me, LOL! As far as the "economy," I see it being bad through 2010, BUT that's a pretty general statement that may not have much to do with your field. It sounds like your field has much better opportunities than many other fields at the moment and certainly in the long run.

Not being a big risk taker myself, I would go for the least riskier one which I think you said is A.

Now, I'm not one to just blow sunshine up anyone's backside just to be nicey-nice (just ask pretty much anyone who knows me, LOL!) so I'm being totally truthful with you here, you sound like you've got a good head on your shoulders and a very good sense of making good decisions so whatever you ultimately decide will be the right choice for you. I would say just trust your instincts and my guess is you'll do just fine when all is said and done.

EDIT: I just voted and right now its 9-8 so I see we're not much help!
CoventryCat86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 11:15 PM   #23
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoventryCat86 View Post
EDIT: I just voted and right now its 9-8 so I see we're not much help!
Definitely seems that way...

I'm right back where I started... torn between the two LOL.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 02:47 PM   #24
dcamacho

now. good luck my man!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #25
tnip23
New Patriotic Dissenter

First Name: Troy
Trading: (2)
Partagas
tnip23 is on a distinguished road

I voted A Jordan. The money now for the wedding and getting things started off right is important. With your wife going into the nursing field, she is guaranteed getting a job and as many hours as she wants. I say secure your immediate future now and the rest will take care of itself. It's your life though, so please do what you feel in your heart, if you believe in a higher power, pray for guidance as well, it will come.
Old 11-03-2008, 02:55 PM   #26
Scottw
Going Commando

First Name: Scott
Trading: (6)
Bolivar
Scottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura aboutScottw has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by JE3146 View Post
Backstory - I'm in college. I got delayed a year at school due to an advising screwup. (IE. I was missing 1 class going into Senior Design, and they wouldn't let me continue without that 1 class). So I'm doing 2 terms this year to complete that one class and basically finish up everything else except 3 senior classes and the 3 senior design classes, which I will do next year part time at 6 credit hours per term for 3 terms.

That leaves a gap during spring term of this year.

I belong to an Internship Program that grants students internships. They are 6 month internships. I have completed 1 of these internships, and we are allowed and required 2 total.

Option A: Take a 2nd Junior level internship to fill the gap this year. It would go from Spring 09 through Summer for 6 months. I would make ~ 17 to 20$ an hour and be guaranteed a job for 6 months. This will require getting approval through a formal meeting.

Option B: Decline the second Junior Internship. Finish the 2 terms this year. Finish the 3 terms next year. Graduate, then do a Senior Internship from Summer 2010 through Fall 2010. I would make ~20 to 24$ an hour and be guaranteed a job for 6 months, as well as possibly having the option to continue working there after the internship is over, as I'll be graduated and needing a job.

The dilemma: I'm getting married this coming summer. This was planned into the works before I got screwed by my advisor, so the delay was a serious setback. The income from Option A would be seriously beneficial to the wedding as it'd be happening before the wedding.

Another thing to consider is the gap between Spring 09 and Fall 09 will trigger me to have to pay loans back at about 150$ a month or so. This will happen regardless of which option I take. That's about 900$ of expenses.

Another dilemma is car payments/phone/insurance... That is until student loans kick back in in the fall.

All this can be paid with a decent paying job (~10$ an hour), but I would NEED a job or... well lets just say I'd need a job... and with the economy in it's current position makes me worried.

So... to recap.

2nd Junior Internship
Take the safe route. Earn less money, make payments, help pay for the wedding. Leaves myself open after graduation for any company I might meet during Senior year. But I'd have to get approval prior to taking this option.

1st Senior Internship
Take the risky route. Earn more money later that could be put towards a house. Earn better experience for resume material. Possibly have the option of it leading to a full time employment in a rough economy. Possibly less budget for the wedding or a smaller honeymoon.

Please offer some advice..... I see benefits and serious flaws with both options

EDIT TO ADD: I'm in Computer Engineering. Forgot to even add my major.

Push the wedding out a year and take the risk. Tell her how much more of a wedding you can give her this way! Not to get too personal, how old are you?
Old 11-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #27
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Take Option A...Money now is better than $$ later!
Old 11-03-2008, 06:26 PM   #28
JE3146
Jordan #2

First Name: Jordan
Trading: (26)
Partagas
JE3146 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottw View Post
Push the wedding out a year and take the risk. Tell her how much more of a wedding you can give her this way! Not to get too personal, how old are you?
Can't do that... the setback occurred AFTER we had made deposits. And eating that money would be devastating to the budget overall.

And I'm 23, as my profile says.
JE3146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 06:35 PM   #29
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Here's my advice. Worth every penny that you paid for it.

Sit down with the soon-to-be-Mrs and discuss the options. The decision affects you both, so you should make the decision jointly.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:45 PM   #30
DavenportESQ
Vaya Con Dios

First Name: David
Trading: (15)
ERdM
DavenportESQ has disabled reputation

I was in a similar situation. I graduated last spring, and had the option to come back (I am a student athlete and have another year of eligibility)Or go ahead and go hit the real world and try to find a job. I chose to go back to school and get my masters, and if the opportunity rolls around about a year from now, and the economy/job market is still this bad I will go back to school and pursue another degree. Securing a job is important, but to me there is nothing secure about our Economy, usually when firings come around recent hires are the first to go. I would rather be in school and further my education as much as possible so when the job market shows itself I will be more qualified...Dunno if this answers your question but something worth considering
Old 11-03-2008, 09:59 PM   #31
zmancbr
CERTIFIED THREAD KILLER!!

First Name: Zach
Trading: (41)
HUpmann
zmancbr has disabled reputation

It sounds to me like Option A has more benefits than B... so I voted A. Hope that helps!
zmancbr is offline   Reply With Quote