Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 04-23-2015, 10:51 AM   #1
Lorglath
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (0)
Bolivar
Lorglath is on a distinguished road
Default How to fix mold issue in large humidor

I have a large humidor that I had converted out of a china hutch. I have placed Spanish cedar along the back wall, and made new shelves out of Spanish cedar. I also have fans in the shelves blowing up the right hand side, and down the left hand side, while alternating front and back positioning from level to level. For humidity, I have put in a Cigar Oasis Magna that I have filled with distilled water....

When I stored this set up in my basement in MN, I never had an issue with humidity or temps as the basement stayed between 60-65F, and the humidity only went low when I forgot to refill the thing for prolonged amounts of time. I have recently moved and need to keep it upstairs for the time being but I have had an explosion of mold and need to know how to wipe it out!

My humidity has been around 60-65% but my temps have been in the 70-75F range. As soon as I see it I wipe the mold off, and try to isolate sticks to a given area, but I also notice when cleaning my cigar oasis that there was some mold inside itself that it was blowing around.... to fix this I used Alcohol to clean it thoroughly and it hasn't crept up again on the Oasis, but even at 60-65% my cigars are growing mold....

I am at my wits end and considering burning the damned thing, taking the cigars with no hint of mold and putting them into a cooler-dor and keeping the damned moldy cigars segregated and smoking em ASAP...

Has anyone gone through anything similar? Suggestions on how to fix it? Is there anything I can add to the water reservoir to keep it from getting mold? I know there is some bacteriostaic solution to put into home humidifiers, and wondering if anything similar to this is safe for cigars... http://www.amazon.com/…/B000…/ref=oh...lpage_o03_s00…

Please help!
Lorglath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
pnoon
YNWA

First Name: Peter
Trading: (20)
RA
pnoon has disabled reputation
Default Re: How to fix mold issue in large humidor

Since you've moved, have you recalibrated the Cigar Oasis?
With RH at 60-65%, you shouldn't have issues with mold.
Old 04-23-2015, 12:38 PM   #3
kydsid
Ditat Deus

First Name: Jason
Trading: (46)
kydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nicekydsid is just really nice

Every cigar oasis I owned seemed to be a mold production factory. I'd personally start with switching to beads. Next Id probably look at getting rid of any wood with mold. Their are just too many spaces for spores to hide. You can clean glass or plastic of mold spores but porous surfaces require continued treatment. Plus the fact any good anti mild agent wouldnt or shouldn't be used cigars its a bad situation.
kydsid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 01:13 PM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Put a little PG in the Oasis, it won't grow mold.
If the cigars are growing mold, the interior of the humidor (and cigars) are much higher than 60-65% RH.
I'd suggest investing in a good hygrometer and salt testing it.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:24 PM   #5
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I'll assume you are only using distilled water in the Oasis, I'm sure you are but I just wanted to be the first one to ask, as how I have nothing else to add to this thread.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:36 PM   #6
mncigarguy
Just in from the Storm

mncigarguy is on a distinguished road

Check our local craigslist, three HUGE new humidors for 300 each, grab one and start fresh.

Howdy neighbor!

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ra...979506922.html

I watch it like a hawk but my wife would kill me!
mncigarguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 05:53 PM   #7
Weelok
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Dave
Trading: (21)
RA
Weelok has a spectacular aura aboutWeelok has a spectacular aura about

Probably not getting enough circulation in the humidor so some areas, like near the top, are more humid then the bottom. Get some fans and circulate the air and see if the problem goes away.
Weelok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 07:15 PM   #8
jjirons69
Haberdasher

First Name: Jamie
Trading: (94)
LGC
jjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to beholdjjirons69 is a splendid one to behold

I'm with everyone else. Seems that Oasis is causing your issues. IMO, a lower RH of 55-60 will be much more tolerable and forgiving than the 65-70 range. The only mold I've ever dealt with is 1) from vendors that store and ship "wetter" cigars and 2) from tightly closed storage devices that have very little air flow and 65-70 RH constantly. YMMV, but you need to do something.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:42 PM   #9
Lorglath
Still Watching My Back

Bolivar

I have been using nothing but distilled water in they system, and I do tend to take the oasis apart about once every 1-2 months for a thorough cleaning as it seems to start to get mold in about that time frame. I did adjust the setting down until both of my external hygrometers read 60-65%...

As for circulation, I have built in fans for circulating into each shelf... the thread of my build was posted to puff: link

I am afraid some of the spores are now behind the back of the Spanish Cedar in between it and the back wall of the cabinet.... Mold isn't growing on any new sticks... but continues to grow back on specific cigars that are in my quarantined area that I have wiped them off...

Quite honestly... the case isn't even that air tight, I have to fill up the oasis about 1/2 way every 3-4 weeks... not sure what to do...
Old 04-27-2015, 03:04 PM   #10
Barrythevic
Just another FOG!

Trading: (2)
Barrythevic is on a distinguished road

Over humidifying can start a mold bloom. Mold spoors are in the air and all it takes is the correct temperature and humidity for the mold to take hold. Once the mold is in your humidor, you have to kill the spoors in order to stop the infestation. Think of a swimming pool that has an algae bloom, same scenario.

The best way to kill off the mold and not have a health issue is to wipe all surfaces of your humidor with isopropyl alcohol, i.e. rubbing alcohol. Chlorine, like you use in a pool works better, but then you have the issue of removing all traces of the chlorine from your humidor. Chlorine gas is not your friend! LOL

Several years ago I had a similar problem. I emptied everything from the humidor. I filled a bottle sprayer with rubbing alcohol and sprayed every nook and cranny with the alcohol. I let it air dry for several hours and repeated twice more. The alcohol killed all of the mold and then evaporated without leaving a trace. If you can, find the 92% isopropyl, it will evaporate quicker and will have lower trace elements.

It solved the problem and with better humidity control, I did not have a repeat issue.

Good Luck!
Barrythevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2015, 10:33 AM   #11
Lorglath
Still Watching My Back

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrythevic View Post
Over humidifying can start a mold bloom. Mold spoors are in the air and all it takes is the correct temperature and humidity for the mold to take hold. Once the mold is in your humidor, you have to kill the spoors in order to stop the infestation. Think of a swimming pool that has an algae bloom, same scenario.

The best way to kill off the mold and not have a health issue is to wipe all surfaces of your humidor with isopropyl alcohol, i.e. rubbing alcohol. Chlorine, like you use in a pool works better, but then you have the issue of removing all traces of the chlorine from your humidor. Chlorine gas is not your friend! LOL

Several years ago I had a similar problem. I emptied everything from the humidor. I filled a bottle sprayer with rubbing alcohol and sprayed every nook and cranny with the alcohol. I let it air dry for several hours and repeated twice more. The alcohol killed all of the mold and then evaporated without leaving a trace. If you can, find the 92% isopropyl, it will evaporate quicker and will have lower trace elements.

It solved the problem and with better humidity control, I did not have a repeat issue.

Good Luck!
Great suggestion, I am thinking of trying this with Everclear grain alcohol rather than rubbing alcohol.
Old 05-04-2015, 05:26 PM   #12
Barrythevic
Just another FOG!

Trading: (2)
Barrythevic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lorglath View Post
Great suggestion, I am thinking of trying this with Everclear grain alcohol rather than rubbing alcohol.
That should work! EverClear is around 98%! Besides you can have a nice buzz while you do it! LOL
Barrythevic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #13
Lorglath
Still Watching My Back

Bolivar

Reporting back, I cleaned everything using Everclear, and things have cleaned up nicely with no recurrence of mold. Thanks for the suggestions.