Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 02-14-2016, 05:42 AM   #101
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

First Name: Boffa
Trading: (48)
Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Second Firearm Thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
That's beautiful Hal.

My new Savage 20ga should be here Tuesday.
Which one did you get Bob?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Like a Cartel boss, Hal
Lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
That's nice, Hal! What do you have behind that Colt?
It's a Kimber sapphire in 9mm
HK3- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #102
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Savage 220, 20ga bolt action slug gun. I'm going to be hunting in a shotgun zone this year, with the potential of 150-200 yard shots. Everything I've read says the Savage is up to the task.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:48 AM   #103
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Also found a great deal on gunbroker for a Leupold Ultimateslam scope for it.
Old 02-14-2016, 08:18 AM   #104
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas
HK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of lightHK3- is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Savage 220, 20ga bolt action slug gun. I'm going to be hunting in a shotgun zone this year, with the potential of 150-200 yard shots. Everything I've read says the Savage is up to the task.
Quote:
Also found a great deal on gunbroker for a Leupold Ultimateslam scope for it.
Very cool! I didn't hunt here in Michigan this past deer season but Im learning that you can hunt with a rifle but it has to be in a pistol caliber??? Guessing this is to prevent stray long traveling projectiles.

Slug guns are pretty wicked. I've always lived somewhere where we could use rifles or buckshot so I've never owned a real slug gun. I've used the old sabots or pumpkin balls a long time ago but I recall them being not very accurate compared to a rifled slug barrel.
Old 02-14-2016, 05:35 PM   #105
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Yea, you can use any straight walled cartridge as long as it's 1.8 in case length or less. At least that's what I've been told.

Researching the Savage, lots of guys in MI have them and love it. Was at Cabela's today and got a couple different boxes of Hornady's for it. Wanted Remington Accutip, but no 20ga on the shelves.

The line for gun sales was crazy.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:08 PM   #106
Flynnster
Life's too short Swishers

Trading: (7)
Flynnster has a spectacular aura aboutFlynnster has a spectacular aura about

If any of yall are bass fishers, the Bass Pro sale going on right now is actually pretty great. I'm more of an online shopper but they had some great deals. Stocked up on Zoom plastics at 25% off, tons of hardbaits on markdown, and some great sales plus rebates on line.
Flynnster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:24 AM   #107
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Yea, you can use any straight walled cartridge as long as it's 1.8 in case length or less. At least that's what I've been told.

Researching the Savage, lots of guys in MI have them and love it. Was at Cabela's today and got a couple different boxes of Hornady's for it. Wanted Remington Accutip, but no 20ga on the shelves.

The line for gun sales was crazy.
Cool. I will look at my local shop for your Remington Accutip in 20ga, Correct?
Old 02-16-2016, 07:46 AM   #108
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Cool. I will look at my local shop for your Remington Accutip in 20ga, Correct?
Yup. Its not cheap. i found some at Dunhams yesterday. $16 a box/5. But then Dunham's not the cheapest when it comes to ammo.
Old 02-16-2016, 04:19 PM   #109
dijit
Have My Own Room

First Name: Mike
Montecristo AirForce (Served With Honor)
dijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nicedijit is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonjing View Post
That's nice, Hal! What do you have behind that Colt?
It looks like a Kimber
Old 02-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #110
Remo
C.I.A

Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 612
Size:  8.9 KB

Cleaned my rifle up today
Old 02-16-2016, 05:21 PM   #111
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Got my shotgun today. Time to mount the scope then bore site it.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg image.jpg (111.3 KB, 499 views)
Old 02-16-2016, 05:34 PM   #112
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

Nice one Bob
Old 02-16-2016, 05:56 PM   #113
matt0278
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Matthew
Trading: (0)
matt0278 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Remo View Post
Attachment 16583

Cleaned my rifle up today
Mike, have you had any problem with your EOTECH holding zero? They downed all of ours after the lawsuit. Looks like we're going with aimpoint for now. Mine nave gave me any issues, but they were concerned about liability. I've beat the hell out of it for years and it held zero like a champ.
matt0278 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 05:59 PM   #114
Remo
C.I.A

Partagas

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt0278 View Post
Mike, have you had any problem with your EOTECH holding zero? They downed all of ours after the lawsuit. Looks like we're going with aimpoint for now. Mine nave gave me any issues, but they were concerned about liability. I've beat the hell out of it for years and it held zero like a champ.
No issues with mine, i'll see this spring when I get back on the range, but I don't expect any issues.
Old 02-17-2016, 11:56 AM   #115
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Yup. Its not cheap. i found some at Dunhams yesterday. $16 a box/5. But then Dunham's not the cheapest when it comes to ammo.
Stopped off at the same place and it was the same price as yours. I will check some of the other smaller shops around or see if my Wally World has it for any less than $16.
Old 02-20-2016, 12:53 PM   #116
Blueface
Gramps 4x's

First Name: Horatio Seymore Hiny
Trading: (8)
Bolivar
Blueface has disabled reputation

Saw this the other day and thought it was quite interesting.
Glad I have that Glock 21 as my go to bedroom/home defense weapon of choice.

Old 02-23-2016, 04:14 AM   #117
HK3-
Cashmere Jungle Lord

Partagas

Quote:
Found it at Meijer for $12.99 Bob. Not great but definitely better.
Old 02-23-2016, 06:27 AM   #118
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by HK3- View Post
Found it at Meijer for $12.99 Bob. Not great but definitely better.
I'll be on the look out. I was going to check Wallyworld, but I just can't force myself to go into that store more than once a month. And i was just there.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:06 AM   #119
TNT009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueface View Post
Saw this the other day and thought it was quite interesting.
Glad I have that Glock 21 as my go to bedroom/home defense weapon of choice.

So many variables with that... I've seen .45s bounce off skull and guy lived, but a .22 pierce the skull and scramble the brain. I know my wife couldn't handle the .45, but rocks the 9.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:56 PM   #120
nutcracker
Shameless epicurian

First Name: Neil
Trading: (26)
Partagas
nutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nicenutcracker is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by TNT009 View Post
So many variables with that... I've seen .45s bounce off skull and guy lived, but a .22 pierce the skull and scramble the brain. I know my wife couldn't handle the .45, but rocks the 9.
Wound ballistics is actually quite complex - the injury is a factor of the kinetic energy imparted - which in turn in determined as follows:

mass x velocity (squared) at entry - mass x velocity (squared) at exit.

Hence a relatively small round from a high velocity rifle is devastating. In an operational area I treated deceptively small wounds from AK47 rounds that had caused devastating injuries. (There are of course 50 cal rounds that would pretty much take your head off.) Military rounds often don't have much "yaw" and "tumble", but a lower velocity round can be manipulated to do all kinds of gyrations based on bullet design. A 9mm can do a whole lot of hurt.

Obviously where you strike your intended victim is also important, and I'm sure you LE guys could advise us, but the percentage shot in my book is two in the torso. I'm far less likely to miss!

In a "domestic setting" with a handgun,- I guess you want to stop someone cold - so I suppose the biggest you can handle would be my rule of thumb.

Personally I think a nice semi auto shotgun would settle most disputes.