Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-16-2012, 10:35 PM   #1
KenS
When do I get my meds?

Trading: (26)
Partagas
KenS has a spectacular aura aboutKenS has a spectacular aura about
Default Roxy Dominican Robusto

Picked up a fiver of these from Andrew (BlkDrew) who has started rolling his own cigars. Tried one ROTT and it was pretty good, but tonight I had a 2nd one after some rest in my cabinet humi. Worthy of a full review, and I felt like telling a story anyway; sometimes it's all about the setting

After a year of living in Seattle, we moved to a new home on the east side in September. Beautiful home, up on a hill overlooking Lake Washington, but we really missed having a hot tub here. Finally pulled the trigger this week, and had our tub moved to the new home. Not a simple job due to the big hill, as it required a crane to get it onto our backyard deck:

So after a day of being snowed in (it only takes a couple of inches of snow around here), I grabbed a Roxy Robusto to smoke in the tub while the snow continued to fall.

Paired it with a glass of Beaulieu Vinyard Rutherford Cabernet and settled in to relax. The construction of the Roxy was really outstanding; very impressive as I think he'd only been rolling for a couple of months (or less) when he made this fiver. After a thin cut with my palio, the prelight draw was spot on; I could tell this was going to be a good burn. That proved to be true, as the burn was within 1/2 mm of razor straight all the way to the nub. Good amount of smoke, but not overpowering.

Andrew described the cigar as "dominican blended filler, Havana binder, and havana Prime wrapper 52x5." I would describe it as medium strength and body. First third was really smooth, with a slight nutty flavor. The flavors really blossomed in the 2nd third. Strength picked up a bit, and I tasted hints of cocoa and caramel. This was definitely the best part of the cigar.

The final third started to get a bit strong, but a couple of purges brought it back to my liking. I smoked it down to about 1/2 inch nub, and enjoyed every minute of it. It held the ash for a solid inch or so, and the construction really shined all the way to the end.

I had originally bought the fiver just as a novelty, and to support a BOTL who's learning to roll, but this cigar definitely surprised me with both quality and flavor. I'm usually a bit of a CC snob, but this was one enjoyable cigar. I really look forward to the remaining three in my humidor!

Great work Andrew! You have really produced a winner!
Old 01-16-2012, 10:42 PM   #2
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Roxy Dominican Robusto

very nice review I got to get me a 5er of maddies from him soon
and congrats on the hot tub relocation looks like a fun time
Old 01-16-2012, 11:22 PM   #3
celtic250
Smoke em if ya got em

First Name: Greg
Trading: (21)
Cohiba
celtic250 is on a distinguished road

I enjoyed the review! I too need to get me some of those Roxy's
celtic250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2012, 03:28 AM   #4
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold

Those Roxy's are awesome, when I get the cash and he gets the time I am going to order a box lol. Seriously though great review and I enjoyed the story as well.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
Shawn hines
Ready for something new

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (3)
CoastGuard (Active)
Shawn hines will become famous soon enough

Great review, I have one more Roxy left myself.... I can't wait
Old 01-17-2012, 01:34 PM   #6
Blak Smyth
Think Blue!

First Name: SD
Trading: (52)
RA
Blak Smyth has disabled reputation

Thanks for the review, and the story. I could have used a pic or two of the cigar though

I am glad to see Drew is perfecting his skills!