Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-18-2012, 10:58 PM   #1
coty

Default Alec Bradley Black Market Churchill

Alec Bradley "Black Market" Churchill (7x50)
[IMG][/IMG]

It's a nice Kona color with a Nicaraguan Wrapper, a Sumatran Binder, and a filler mixture from Honduras and Panama. I kind of like the “plain Jane” label No fancy gold wrapper with a picture and words too small to read. The Construction has some veins but not real throbbing sticks buldging out and has a rough but oily texture. The cigar feels pretty firm all the way through and makes me worry it will be hard to draw on. The smell is very pleasant and reminds me of a plant that doesn’t have a natural odor but just freshness.
Underneath the Large wrapper is a small one that simply reads “Alec Bradley/ Black Market”. Being that I prefer a concentrated draw I punch the head and notice a very loose open draw and an odd flavor that I can’t quite make out… maybe a sour-earthy flavor???.

I “toast and roast” and I draw a cloud of smoke in and…. It’s an amazing flavor! It reminds me of an orange peel and the bottom of the glass after the ice melted in a drink; mixed with a light earthy flavor. I am wowed!
This is my first Alec Bradley and it is fantastic!

I assumed that by the color that this cigar was a Maduro, but it’s very creamy like a Connecticut. The cigar has a little lop-sided burn but nothing needing correction at this time. I think it would go amazingly well with a Sam Adams Spring Ale.I did the next best thing.

The first third of this stick is holding true to an earthy-citrus flavor that isn’t over powering or weak. The smoke is bellowing a nice blue and the ash is a very dark gray.

The ash held grate until about a 1/3 of the cigar and I dumped it. The 2/3 has an increasing citrus draw to it but it still maintains a well balanced flavors. The stick is still rolling clouds of smoke from it. I had to perform the first burn correction that it has needed with my trusty Xikar Tech Torch (I love this thing and plug it every chance I get!) The most surprising thing so far besides the flavor, is that the cigar is medium bodied even at the ˝ way point. There hasn’t been any “bite” it and the cigar is rather fast burning.

The 3/3 of the cigar has stayed the course with flavor and needed no correcting. The earthy flavor is a little stronger now but still maintains a balanced flavor that makes a nice finish to a very nice cigar! I am truly happy with my purchase and can’t wait to see what some age will do to the flavor of this cigar.
Old 01-19-2012, 01:38 AM   #2
Bax
C A P S...CAPS CAPS CAPS!

First Name: Tim
Trading: (70)
Partagas
Bax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the roughBax is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Alec Bradley Black Market Churchill

Nice review, I'm hoping to score a cheap box of these soon.
Old 01-19-2012, 07:30 AM   #3
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough

Great review Coty! I haven't had the chance to pick up a black market yet...I was thinking it was hyped a little too much in all of the cigar magazines...but now I may have to venture out and get some. Have you had any other sizes yet other than the Churchill? Anyone on different sizes?
Old 01-19-2012, 07:43 AM   #4
manny844
GO TIGERS

First Name: Mitchell
Trading: (0)
manny844 is on a distinguished road

Nicely written review!!
manny844 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2012, 08:04 AM   #5
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

Nice review. I enjoyed mine but not as much as I thought. Maybe it was hyped too much. I would pick up a few more for a great deal. It sat in the humi for about a month and a half.
Old 01-19-2012, 08:54 AM   #6
coty

I haven't had any other sizes and I don't read cigar magazines or do any real looking into whats coming out or anything; this was a recommendation from a trusted smoker. I actually hadn't heard any hype.
Old 01-19-2012, 10:38 AM   #7
Taki
Welcome to the Layer Cake

First Name: Taki
Trading: (38)
HdM
Taki has disabled reputation

Very nice review brother...I just got one of these in my NST trade from Goomer. Excited to burn it to see how good it actually it is!!!
Old 01-20-2012, 01:44 PM   #8
SpruceBruce
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jimmy
Trading: (9)
Cohiba
SpruceBruce is on a distinguished road

Nice review, Coty. Going to have to give one of these another shot. I wasn't too impressed with the torpedo I had, so maybe another vitola is the way to go. The construction of the one I had was impeccable, it just had kind of a tight draw which I think is what ruined it for me.

In any case, nice work
SpruceBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:15 PM   #9
deadrise
The Manhattan Project

First Name: Jason
Trading: (24)
Partagas
deadrise has a spectacular aura aboutdeadrise has a spectacular aura about

Very nice review I have had the robusto and found they where good just not great.
one thing I will note is the band is made out of photo paper and puts of some form of chemical smell
that I could taste on the pre light draw and smell on the wrapper
Quote:
an odd flavor that I can’t quite make out… maybe a sour-earthy flavor???
that might been what you tasted I personally pulled all of the paper off the cigars before placing in humi
maybe me just being paranoid
Old 01-22-2012, 09:56 AM   #10
crazyirishman

Time to go troll The Devil Site for some...

The quality of the review alone makes it worth a try, and I love the little Xikar commercial there. Hah.

Well done, bro.