Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-12-2011, 01:30 PM   #1
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cable TV / HDTV Antenna Question.

Here's what I have going on...
I have regular cable with a dvr at the living room. I then serve out just the basic cable to the rest of the tv's in the house which is more than enough. The rest of the tv's don't get any HD stations though. That's not a problem, really, but the story gets deeper...

I have an HDTV antenna that I use specifically to get local HD Stations from Youngstown, OH so we can watch the Steelers when they are out of market (we're in Browns territory here).
That antenna has a little gain amp right at the tv. In order to split that signal, I need another pre-amp, which I'm buying today. It's right here. I'll do away with the little preamp at my tv or give it to my father-in-law who needs it for his new antenna.

What I need now is a box that will take the input from the cable and antenna, do whatever it does with it, then give me a way to output it to my system.

All this will happen in a box mounted in my basement. There's power there and I have dedicated cables run to every device. They're all marked and ready to go. I have to pull some cable to the antenna and some more stuff to the ground floor, but I have the cable and tools and everything I need for that.
I just need to know what to use to mix these two inputs into one output.

Thanks, guys!!!
Scott
Old 12-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #2
chaase321
ZOTL's mmmmm brainssss

First Name: Cole
Trading: (81)
Partagas
chaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the roughchaase321 is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cable TV / HDTV Antenna Question.

Scott...just move. Browns territory is no place to be. I was there for 5 years and left!

Anyway, no answers to your questions, sorry.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:29 PM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I agree, Browns territory, ugh. I'm not allowed to move though, Weeze won't let me.

I think I figured it out. Some guys say you can just flip over a splitter and combine the two signals. They tend to overlap and cause problems, but sometimes it works.
I had to get DC voltage/IR passing splitter/combiners because normal splitter/combiners block the dc voltage that I'm putting in on purpose to amplify my antenna signal.
In case the splitter/combiner option doesn't work, I got a couple simple coax A/B switches.
I chose this pre-amp because it had a much higher gain for just a few more bucks.
Old 12-12-2011, 02:51 PM   #4
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Scott,

The device you are looking for is a multiplexer. You would want to get one where it has the ability to reassign one of the inputs to a higher band so they don't stomp all over each other (this will change the channel numbers of one of the inputs).

Unfortunately, good ones ain't cheap.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 02:57 PM   #5
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Scott,

The device you are looking for is a multiplexer (triplexer). You would want to get one where it has the ability to reassign one of the inputs to a higher band so they don't stomp all over each other (this will change the channel numbers of one of the inputs).

I'll take a look, Adam. Thank You!!!
I took a quick look and all I can find is satellitle stuff. Can you point me to a cable/OTA type?
Old 12-12-2011, 03:17 PM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I'll take a look, Adam. Thank You!!!
I took a quick look and all I can find is satellitle stuff. Can you point me to a cable/OTA type?
Lemmie look this evening.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Scott, my apologies, looks like I sent you on a chase for something that really only exists at the station level. I just talked to a friend from back in the production days and it seems that in my head I had combined the satellite OTA diplexers with the programmable RF headend signal combiners which can be used to shoot video/audio feeds down open frequencies on a line. He said the equipment for reassigning as many channel frequencies as you are looking at trying isn't financially practical for someone to do at home.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:12 AM   #8
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

Cuaba

Thanks for the legwork, Adam.
I can make this thing go one way or another. It'll be nice if I can do it on one wire, at least at some level, but we'll see.
If worse comes to worse I'll have to run to the basement and flip a couple switches once or twice a year. I think I can live with that.
Old 12-13-2011, 10:21 AM   #9
Savor the Stick
~Loves the Lord~

First Name: Kevin, or just K
Trading: (67)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
Savor the Stick has disabled reputation

Quote:
Here's what I have going on...
I have regular cable with a dvr at the living room. I then serve out just the basic cable to the rest of the tv's in the house which is more than enough. The rest of the tv's don't get any HD stations though. That's not a problem, really, but the story gets deeper...

I have an HDTV antenna that I use specifically to get local HD Stations from Youngstown, OH so we can watch the Steelers when they are out of market (we're in Browns territory here).
That antenna has a little gain amp right at the tv. In order to split that signal, I need another pre-amp, which I'm buying today. It's right here. I'll do away with the little preamp at my tv or give it to my father-in-law who needs it for his new antenna.

What I need now is a box that will take the input from the cable and antenna, do whatever it does with it, then give me a way to output it to my system.

All this will happen in a box mounted in my basement. There's power there and I have dedicated cables run to every device. They're all marked and ready to go. I have to pull some cable to the antenna and some more stuff to the ground floor, but I have the cable and tools and everything I need for that.
I just need to know what to use to mix these two inputs into one output.

Thanks, guys!!!
Scott
Quote:
I agree, Browns territory, ugh. I'm not allowed to move though, Weeze won't let me.

I think I figured it out. Some guys say you can just flip over a splitter and combine the two signals. They tend to overlap and cause problems, but sometimes it works.
I had to get DC voltage/IR passing splitter/combiners because normal splitter/combiners block the dc voltage that I'm putting in on purpose to amplify my antenna signal.
In case the splitter/combiner option doesn't work, I got a couple simple coax A/B switches.
I chose this pre-amp because it had a much higher gain for just a few more bucks.
Quote:
Scott,

The device you are looking for is a multiplexer. You would want to get one where it has the ability to reassign one of the inputs to a higher band so they don't stomp all over each other (this will change the channel numbers of one of the inputs).

Quote:
Scott, my apologies, looks like I sent you on a chase for something that really only exists at the station level. I just talked to a friend from back in the production days and it seems that in my head I had combined the satellite OTA diplexers with the programmable RF headend signal combiners which can be used to shoot video/audio feeds down open frequencies on a line. He said the equipment for reassigning as many channel frequencies as you are looking at trying isn't financially practical for someone to do at home.
My head hurts----- it's too early in the morning here in California for that kind of thinking.