Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 03-31-2011, 06:33 PM   #41
tsolomon
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tom
Trading: (31)
VR
tsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura abouttsolomon has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: How to get started smoking pipes

So far I like it. Used the 3 step load process and (excuse the cigar think) the draw felt a little/lot too open. I went ahead and lighted it, but I have tamped it down twice with my finger and it's much better. I have never been very good at describing flavors, but it's very mild with a slight cherry taste. I guess I should have more pressure when I loaded it and do you pretty much have to relight it after tamping it down?
tsolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #42
JaKaacH
ROCK Chalk JAYHAWK K U

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (32)
RA
JaKaacH has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsolomon View Post
So far I like it. Used the 3 step load process and (excuse the cigar think) the draw felt a little/lot too open. I went ahead and lighted it, but I have tamped it down twice with my finger and it's much better. I have never been very good at describing flavors, but it's very mild with a slight cherry taste. I guess I should have more pressure when I loaded it and do you pretty much have to relight it after tamping it down?
Loose is good. I usually, when needed, use the lighter then apply light pressure with the tamp to push the burning tobacco into contact with the tobacco below. If it is going out after you tamp you might be tamping to heavy.
Old 03-31-2011, 07:58 PM   #43
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaKaacH View Post
Loose is good. I usually, when needed, use the lighter then apply light pressure with the tamp to push the burning tobacco into contact with the tobacco below. If it is going out after you tamp you might be tamping to heavy.
+1. Very easy to tamp and compress if needed; pretty much a waste of time trying to smoke a plugged up pipe.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:09 PM   #44
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
bump... I was referring to traveling with the pipe. I'm going to be bringing it to a music festival where we camp for 4 days.
Take a cob. Break a cob. Replace a cob. Store it in a worn out sock.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:55 AM   #45
Nick
Feeling at Home

First Name: That's confidential
Trading: (4)
Nick is on a distinguished road

I would say the biggest thing that new pipers worry about which they shouldnt is relights. Who cares if you have to relight ten times to smoke to the bottom of the bowl. Its just part of pipe smoking. Chill
Old 04-01-2011, 07:58 AM   #46
jkstewart1
Time to change the Avatar

First Name: John
Trading: (7)
jkstewart1 is on a distinguished road

Kudos to Mister Moo as always! Thanks to this thread I re-examined the three step - child/woman/man - loading technique as per Mr. Moo in the Old Farts thread and found that I really had not been loading my pipes with enough tobacco. I was too concerned with getting plugged up and as a consequence, smoke was always thin (not full) and air was too free through the pipe.

I feel that by getting back to basics - Carter Hall and a cob - and re-examining technique, pipe smoking is even more of a pleasure. I'm definitely looking forward to practicing until it becomes perfection (for me)!

Thanks again, Moo!
jkstewart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2011, 09:46 AM   #47
lbowles2
Luv me some broadleaf!!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (84)
lbowles2 will become famous soon enough

Would you recommend the filtered or unfiltered pipes? I have smoked a briar some but never a cob so I didn't know what the difference would be.
Old 04-01-2011, 10:12 AM   #48
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pektel View Post
bump... I was referring to traveling with the pipe. I'm going to be bringing it to a music festival where we camp for 4 days.
Cochella? Bonnaroo?
Old 04-01-2011, 10:19 AM   #49
NCRadioMan
Chutney Lovebusciut

First Name: Chutney
Trading: (66)
RG
NCRadioMan has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lbowles2 View Post
Would you recommend the filtered or unfiltered pipes? I have smoked a briar some but never a cob so I didn't know what the difference would be.
Unfiltered. I feel the draw is impeded too much. Doesn't feel right, to me.

If you get a cob, you can always take out the paper filter if you want. Try it with or without and see which you like better.

Old 04-01-2011, 11:40 AM   #50
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkstewart1 View Post
...I feel that by getting back to basics - Carter Hall and a cob - and re-examining technique, pipe smoking is even more of a pleasure...
Zackly. Anyone who enjoys a pipe discovers proper filling, even lighting and effortless production of opaque clouds of rich smoke by SIPPING is the essence of easy smoking. It also reveals the most flavor from the tobacco. Like a well-oiled golf swing or the consistent clank of a horseshoe ringer, it isn't the easiest or most natural thing to accomplish in, say, the first three tries.

Carter Hall (and Prince Albert and Sir Walter Raleigh) tobacco endears itself to long time pipers and encourages new-to-pipe smokers. Besides the charming nutty taste and loved-by-all-downwind-aroma it has to be the easiest tobacco there is to fill and light evenly, the, most important, "sip" without overheating. After you get a handle on that, it's all gravy.

(WTF? Anyone who wants to smoke a pipe can get what they want and have at it. Me? I was a genius. I started out with these great smelling, super-moist Escudo coin-thingies in a BIG briar pipe. If I had stuffed 20 pipes with a pound of cheese I couldn't have plugged them up worse than I did with Escudo in a giant horn - too many variables for an idiot like me.

It would be cool to start right up with a $2000 Preben Holm goll-danged work of art perfect pipe and smoke the piss out of it and gnaw up the stem and char the rim and, maybe, burn a hole through the side of it. And then pitch the sonnofabich and start again. I wish I had that Emjaysmash kind of money. So why not one of those shiney sweet looking basket pipes or dragon-claw-demon-eye meerschaums for $30? Please.. the range of weird tastes, lacquered interiors, whistle-sounds, bad draws, gurgles and mis-drill issues create too many hassles to predict. Nossir. The cob is THEE low risk, low-variable entry that happens to match perfectly with OTC burley for a cool, dry easy smoke.

If you don't want to discuss cobs and OTC burley for rookies you have come to the wrong place. Now git. )
Old 04-01-2011, 01:21 PM   #51
pektel
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Peter
Trading: (28)
LGC
pektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nicepektel is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugen910 View Post
Cochella? Bonnaroo?
I like smaller fests. I'm going to Bella Music Fest in southern MN. I have been to Rothbury Festival, 10,000 Lakes Festival, but haven't made it to Bonnaroo yet.
Old 04-02-2011, 08:11 AM   #52
WyoBob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Bob
Trading: (1)
WyoBob will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCRadioMan View Post
Unfiltered. I feel the draw is impeded too much. Doesn't feel right, to me.

If you get a cob, you can always take out the paper filter if you want. Try it with or without and see which you like better.

Cobs draw a bit too easily for me without a filter. You can cut a paper filter in thirds and this restricts the draw and catches little bits of tobacco. Or, cheaper yet, cut pipe cleaners into 3/4" lengths, fold into a "V" (with some "spring" to it so it stays in place) and stick it into the tenon. This provides some restriction, collects some moisture and tars and catches little bits of tobacco.

WyoBob
WyoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #53
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
I wish I had that Emjaysmash kind of money.

Emjaysmash wishes he had that kind of money too!! LOL
Old 04-17-2011, 10:25 PM   #54
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

Great thread! So I bought 2x Cob pipes from my local shop, and got some "Sir Walter Raleigh", "Captain Black", and "Half and Half", all in the pouch. I watched a bunch of videos on packing and I try to use the "Child, Woman, Man" thing but I'm definitely doing something wrong.

I only get a good cloud of smoke if I am relighting (As in I have the flame over the bowl and I'm inhaling). After that I get about 3 puffs of smoke which get less and less dense and the pipe goes out. if I don't puff every 10 seconds or so I don't get anything and the pipe goes out in literally seconds. I've had the exact same problems with all 3 types. The Captain Black especially. Refilling a bowl right now, gonna try this again, maybe a little tighter.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2011, 10:48 PM   #55
loki
H.A.T.E

Partagas
loki will become famous soon enoughloki will become famous soon enough

dont get down on yourself, i've been smoking a pipe since 06 and i still **** it up from time to time
loki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2011, 02:29 PM   #56
oooo35980
Feeling at Home

First Name: Isaiah
Montecristo Navy (Disabled Vet)
oooo35980 will become famous soon enough

I got it worked out, had to find some articles on exactly how a pipe worked and what not to do etc. Turns out I was smoking too fast and hard making condensation build up, which would account for the nasty juice stuff I got a mouthful of fairly often.
oooo35980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2011, 08:33 AM   #57
jkstewart1
Time to change the Avatar

First Name: John
jkstewart1 is on a distinguished road

oooo, love the avatar! Can you provide some links for the particular articles you consulted or threads you read?

Thanks!
jkstewart1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2012, 12:02 PM   #58
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jim "Chappy"
Army (Active)
jjmitchem will become famous soon enoughjjmitchem will become famous soon enough

Just stepped out on the slippery slope - picked up two MM Country Gentelmen, one bent and one straight. A bag each of Prince Albert and carter hall, pipe cleaners and a tool.

Figure I'm stuck up here in the high mountain desert of Washington state for three more weeks, might as well give it a try
Old 10-21-2012, 11:45 AM   #59
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmitchem View Post
Just stepped out on the slippery slope - picked up two MM Country Gentelmen, one bent and one straight. A bag each of Prince Albert and carter hall, pipe cleaners and a tool.

Figure I'm stuck up here in the high mountain desert of Washington state for three more weeks, might as well give it a try
Enjoy Chappy...
Old 10-21-2012, 10:15 PM   #60
jjmitchem
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Jim "Chappy"
Army (Active)
jjmitchem will become famous soon enoughjjmitchem will become famous soon enough

All right - I'm Hooked!!!

Got to say this quietly, I think I may like this better than my cigars

Got my two MM's. I prefer the straight on these. I think if the bowl was turned also then the bent stem might fit me better. But I think I can just get another straight stem from MM

Now to start looking for a nice pipe
I did post in the B/S/T that I was willing to trade some really good cigars (FFOX...) for one