Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 11-03-2011, 07:20 PM   #1
imthegoal
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Brian
Trading: (4)
LGC Army (Active)
imthegoal will become famous soon enough
Default Broke a rib

I started mountain biking about 2 months ago. The challenge has been that you have actually plan and drive to the trails unlike road cycling. Well, this past Sunday I had my first race. I raced the Cat 3 14 mile. About half a mile in I had pretty rough crash. Didn't see any obstacle, or anything but ended up going over the handlebars. At the time I just jumped right back up and kept riding. About 6 miles later though I could not catch my breath and I started to get a throbbing pain on my side. I finished up the race but had to walk alot more than I had anticipated. When I got home 4 hours later and still couldn't catch my breath my wife made me go to the hospital. They told me I definitely broke cartlidge and a small fracture of a rib. Hoping this doesn't keep me on the sidelines too long but damn have I been sore all week.
imthegoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:23 PM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: Broke a rib

Quote:
Originally Posted by imthegoal View Post
I started mountain biking about 2 months ago. The challenge has been that you have actually plan and drive to the trails unlike road cycling. Well, this past Sunday I had my first race. I raced the Cat 3 14 mile. About half a mile in I had pretty rough crash. Didn't see any obstacle, or anything but ended up going over the handlebars. At the time I just jumped right back up and kept riding. About 6 miles later though I could not catch my breath and I started to get a throbbing pain on my side. I finished up the race but had to walk alot more than I had anticipated. When I got home 4 hours later and still couldn't catch my breath my wife made me go to the hospital. They told me I definitely broke cartlidge and a small fracture of a rib. Hoping this doesn't keep me on the sidelines too long but damn have I been sore all week.
Unfortunately, Pain From Rib Fractures Can Last Years. Hope You Feel Better, Soon & Get Back To Riding.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #3
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Take good care of it, Brian.
Aside from strapping on ice packs, I'll tell ya what really works good as an anti-inflammatory that'll take some pressure off, they're called Flector patches.
They're crazy expensive, but they work. The NSAID goes right down through your meat and never enters your bloodstream, so it doesn't get diluted. I've used them for years, they are the only thing that really gives me relief (broken back, rods, screws, fusion, laminectomy).
They work on my knees and joints and everyone I know who have tried them have have had great success with them. Ask your doctor for samples, they probably have them. I think they'll give you a lot of relief from that strangling feeling.
I feel bad for you, brother. My thoughts and prayers will be with you for a speedy recovery.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

Here's to a quick healing and you back at it in no time.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:53 PM   #5
imthegoal
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Brian
Trading: (4)
LGC Army (Active)
imthegoal will become famous soon enough

Well, got confirmation this afternoon that I need to take some time completely off the bikes. Went for a ride on the road bike to see how it felt. By the end of the ride it was difficult to even put the bike on the rack on the back of my car. Once I got home it was difficult to do much of anything until I took a percocet which dulled the pain some. I guess it will be a few weeks at a minimum before I go for a ride again. It is going to be rough since since May the longest I have gone without riding has been 3-4 days.
imthegoal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

I'm glad you went to the hospital and it was "just" your ribs and nothing more serious! I broke some ribs a few years ago in the Keys and didn't think too much about it, until I finally went to the hospital 3 or 4 hours later and found out it was a lot more serious! Ended up spending a week in ICU after emergency surgery and then another 6 weeks recovery after I finally got home. And then it was still several months before I was really able to do much.

Ribs are probably one of the most frustrating and painful things you can injure because really there is not much you can do for them. Get rest (that was the hard part for me because there was really no comfortable position I could find) and let them suckers heal, do not try to push it!

A word of advice though...hiccups and sneezes, not recommended

Quote:
Originally Posted by longknocker View Post
Unfortunately, Pain From Rib Fractures Can Last Years
3 years later and mine still ache periodically.
Old 11-06-2011, 08:56 PM   #7
BC-Axeman

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post
Ribs are probably one of the most frustrating and painful things you can injure because really there is not much you can do for them. Get rest (that was the hard part for me because there was really no comfortable position I could find) and let them suckers heal, do not try to push it!

A word of advice though...hiccups and sneezes, not recommended
And don't laugh! Owwww! Sneezes are the worst, for sure!
I've broke ribs and rib cartilage a bunch of times. Mostly dirt biking but that's not all. I don't remember it ever causing lingering problems but you definitely need to take it easy to get them to heal. You'll learn all the important things ribs are for by having it hurt every time you do one of them.
You can puncture lungs, spleen, liver, etc..., with a broken rib so it's good you went to a doctor.
Speedy recovery...
Old 11-06-2011, 09:07 PM   #8
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

Note to self: Dont break a rib. Damn that sounds painful. Hope you feel better soon.