Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 09-14-2010, 07:51 PM   #1
jimmyk26
Jimmy Jim

First Name: Kings of Leon
Trading: (32)
HUpmann
jimmyk26 will become famous soon enough
Default My apartment was just changed to "No Smoking"

So I just want to vent a bit, because due a littering problem my apartment building is now "No Smoking" anywhere on the property. It appears that the property manager was "very disappointed" with all of the cigarette butts that he found all over the property and instead of saying that the littering is unacceptable he has gone and banned smoking of any kind anywhere on the property.

I am pretty bummed because I really liked smoking the porch and the apartment is practically perfect in every way. Now it looks like I'll be frequenting my B&Ms more. Any body have an experience like this? What did you do about it?

The wife says, "well we should just buy a place." I agree, but probably in a couple years
jimmyk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 07:58 PM   #2
KingJaffeJoffer

Default Re: My apartment was just changed to "No Smoking"

That's awful, man. Honestly, if that happened to me I'd make sure I didn't sign away my smoking rights in the lease, and if I didn't I'd just do it anyway until my lease was up. You pay a lot each month to enjoy the comfort of a place, it doesn't seem right that your landlord/company can go and change the terms of what you signed, unless you specifically agreed that they can change the smoking terms. I'm no lawyer, but if I wanted to not smoke, I'd save some money and live with my mom, and I'd def let me management company know that if they ever gave me a problem ;-) Let me know what happens. Good luck, brother.
Old 09-14-2010, 08:01 PM   #3
Salvelinus
Have My Own Room

First Name: Brendan
Trading: (12)
Salvelinus will become famous soon enoughSalvelinus will become famous soon enough

It completely sucks that most cigarette smokers think it is ok to just drop their butts. The things are fiberglass they don't just disappear. Living in Vermont I find it hilarious how many hippies will ditch a cigarette on the ground and then get after you for using a disposable coffee cup.

Any chance you could talk the guy into putting in some of the cigarette butt cans to try and limit the amount of leftovers on the ground?
Salvelinus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:09 PM   #4
Brutus2600
Your resident lancerHO

First Name: Brian
Trading: (46)
LGC
Brutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura aboutBrutus2600 has a spectacular aura about

Wow...that's simply stunning. Personally, I'd talk to the manager and explain the situation. You only smoke on your porch and I'm sure you take care of your finished cigars. If they won't budge then I'd start looking at your lease agreement and what they can lawfully do. I enjoy going to my B&M, but I that's severely inconvenient if you want to just hop outside for 45 min to smoke at your place.

I know not all cigarette smokers are like this, but it's bothersome to see once again that cigar smokers are lumped in with the cigarette smokers who trash up the property and can't police their butts.
Brutus2600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:21 PM   #5
jimmyk26
Jimmy Jim

First Name: Kings of Leon
Trading: (32)
HUpmann
jimmyk26 will become famous soon enough

Thanks y'all. I am pretty bummed about it, but we'll see how everything goes.

In the mean time I am trying to figure out some other ways/strategies to enjoy my cigars with out having to go to my B&M every day.
jimmyk26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Sit on the hood of his car and light up.

When he comes out to say that there's no smoking on the property and to get off his car, politely explain to him that you're not on the property, you're on his car, and if you were to get off his car, you'd be on the property and you wouldn't want to be an insensitive prick and break the rules like that.

Bonus points for using his open sunroof to tap off your ash.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 08:41 PM   #7
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Sit on the hood of his car and light up.

When he comes out to say that there's no smoking on the property and to get off his car, politely explain to him that you're not on the property, you're on his car, and if you were to get off his car, you'd be on the property and you wouldn't want to be an insensitive prick and break the rules like that.

Bonus points for using his open sunroof to tap off your ash.
Lol agreed but smoke inside until the last month you rent and worry about it then. I smoked a lot of cigs in the apartment I use to rent, never received any charge or complaint.
Bill86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:50 PM   #8
RustyShackleford
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Chris
Trading: (2)
Bolivar
RustyShackleford is on a distinguished road

That sucks bro!

The lack of regard of many cigarette smokers have for proper butt disposal is one of the things I started to notice after I took up cigar smoking. I see it all the time on campus and really irritates me.

Salvelinus funny comment about the hippies.
I am usually the one that gets painted as the rightwing loon who does care about the environment but I am sure those fiberglass butts are great for it
RustyShackleford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 02:50 AM   #9
Adriftpanda
Peter's Daddy

First Name: Huy
Trading: (74)
Guantanamera
Adriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud ofAdriftpanda has much to be proud of

Now you can go support your local B&M.
Old 09-15-2010, 02:56 AM   #10
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adriftpanda View Post
Now you can go support your local B&M.
I am not sure if the B&M's here are really worth "supporting"... Not every city has a classy B&M. Our best one is like most larger cities worst.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 05:33 AM   #11
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Are you sure he can legally do that?

You are renting/leasing a property that has a contract, and he can't just change the contract mid-stream to his whims. That would be like you changing your contract and expecting the landlord to accept it.

I would go over your lease carefully and if he is in violation or question, withhold rent (escrow) until a judge can decide. See if you can get a few others to do the same. If the judge says the property manager is legal to do so, then the money is there. If not, he'll be dropping that policy real quick with no rent coming in.

Once it is in the court system, you can go back to smoking and keep postponing the court date and dragging it out until your lease ends or he gives up.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:06 AM   #12
newlifetaxidermy

I'd smoke anyway and wait to see if this guy does anything. Worst case, he will try to evict you...then you have a court case. He cannot have you arrested for smoking on the property. If he says anything to you about it, tell him to go pound sand.
Old 09-15-2010, 07:34 AM   #13
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post

You are renting/leasing a property that has a contract, and he can't just change the contract mid-stream to his whims. That would be like you changing your contract and expecting the landlord to accept it.

I would go over your lease carefully and if he is in violation or question, withhold rent (escrow) until a judge can decide. See if you can get a few others to do the same. If the judge says the property manager is legal to do so, then the money is there. If not, he'll be dropping that policy real quick with no rent coming in.

Once it is in the court system, you can go back to smoking and keep postponing the court date and dragging it out until your lease ends or he gives up.
Moses is right, that's the way to go!
Old 09-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #14
Coz77
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Mark
Trading: (1)
Coz77 is on a distinguished road

MY Father-in-law lives in a condo and they instituted a 100 dollar fine for anyone littering the grounds with butts...the offenders stopped its very rare you find cig butts laying anywhere on the property now.

Perhaps you can suggest to your landlord an alternative?
Coz77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 07:53 AM   #15
Da Klugs
Juan of 11

First Name: Dave
Trading: (8)
RA
Da Klugs has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmyk26 View Post
So I just want to vent a bit, because due a littering problem my apartment building is now "No Smoking" anywhere on the property. It appears that the property manager was "very disappointed" with all of the cigarette butts that he found all over the property and instead of saying that the littering is unacceptable he has gone and banned smoking of any kind anywhere on the property.

I am pretty bummed because I really liked smoking the porch and the apartment is practically perfect in every way. Now it looks like I'll be frequenting my B&Ms more. Any body have an experience like this? What did you do about it?

The wife says, "well we should just buy a place." I agree, but probably in a couple years
Move. They changed the terms and conditions and you should call them on it and ask to be released from your lease. We chose to live here based upon the smoking policy. You changed it so we are going to move.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #16
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Agreed with the above. Looks like he just gave you a free way out of your lease should you want to leave. A lease is a contract and unless there is some kind of a clause that states the property manager or owner can change things you should be good to go.*

*I'm not a lawyer but I sat next to one on the subway yesterday.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:21 AM   #17
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

I actually did that at one point in my life. Neighbors were too noisy and the manager was to chicken to enforce the rules.. After 5 - 6 calls to the sheriff I put a total of 3 months rent into an escrow account that took both sigs to withdraw but only they could receive the funds.

After 3 months the managing company came by looking for the rent. I explained the issues. About 3 days later we had a new complex manager and at month 4 I released the funds to the company. It is illegal not to pay your rent, but nothing says they have to have assess to it either.

I probrablly knew that contract better than they did by the time I got done. Amazing what they are responsible for and can be held to for breaking the contract.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post

Old 09-15-2010, 08:56 AM   #18
chippewastud79
Fatter than you!

First Name: Larry
Trading: (44)
Partagas
chippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to beholdchippewastud79 is a splendid one to behold

If there is no mention of 'No Smoking' in the lease you signed and agreed to, I am fairly confident that you would not have to abide by the new 'rule' unless you agreed to it in some form of writing. This would be particularly true for your patio.
Old 09-15-2010, 09:12 AM   #19
whodeeni

Quote:
Originally Posted by chippewastud79 View Post
If there is no mention of 'No Smoking' in the lease you signed and agreed to, I am fairly confident that you would not have to abide by the new 'rule' unless you agreed to it in some form of writing. This would be particularly true for your patio.
I'm with the others guys here Jimmy... Go online to ABCBooks.com order an old 4th or 5th edition of blacks law dictionary for 5.00 then go over your lease (dictionary in hand) with a fined tooth comb! You'll probably be amazed at what you find out.... (Or you can fax your lease to me, and i'll go over it with my partner (former atty) for you for free! And let you know what we find out!)

Last year he found something in my Sister's lease that made her apt complex back down. (I can't remember the situation but he's a very smart guy...)

PM me if you're interested in that bro...
Old 09-15-2010, 11:24 AM   #20
JJG
Have My Own Room

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (4)
Partagas
JJG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlifetaxidermy View Post
I'd smoke anyway and wait to see if this guy does anything. He cannot have you arrested for smoking on the property. If he says anything to you about it, tell him to go pound sand.

This seems like the least severe option. I would just continue to smoke, and most likely nothing will happen. Especially if you have a private or semi-private patio area.

Does the manager even live on the property? If not, he will have no way of knowing you smoke ocasionally unless one of your neighbors complains, and even if they do, as others have mentioned, there is really nothing legally he can do to you.

I vote for just ignoring the no-smoking rule, clean up after yourself and don't give it a second thought.
JJG is offline   Reply With Quote