Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Wine, Beer, and Spirits

Old 01-19-2024, 08:32 AM   #3781
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation
Default Re: The Bourbon Thread!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by stearns View Post
I've literally been saying this for years. At least Tony has come by to kill off a couple bottles, not sure what your deal is
Home invasion?

No, you have family there.

Bourbon coup? I could start a recruiting thread....

I want to get out there badly. The snow here makes me think I'll wait for Spring at least.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2024, 03:14 PM   #3782
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

Grabbed another bottle of Stagg this morning.

Tom, I need to do an inventory soon, for personal tracking.

Ben, I might be up there again soon. Will let you and Peter know when I find out.
Old 01-19-2024, 03:43 PM   #3783
stearns
Dogbert Consultant

First Name: Ben
Trading: (50)
RA
stearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to allstearns is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beagleone View Post
Ben, I might be up there again soon. Will let you and Peter know when I find out.
Please do
Old 01-20-2024, 07:52 AM   #3784
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Had time yesterday to hit up a store before my dinner order was ready for pickup. I’ve been to this store once before, and promptly left when I saw some of the prices. Thought I’d give it another shot. Yup, same inflated prices. 1792 12yr, $249. WSR, $60. Asked about OWA. The girl told me she could order it and call me when it came in. I said it all depends on price. She then proceeded to tell me they only sell at state minimum, “see these tags? The state sends us them”. Oh really? I didn’t have the heart to argue with her.
Old 01-20-2024, 10:31 AM   #3785
mahtofire14
Chillin in the Aging Room

First Name: Pete
Trading: (16)
Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Had time yesterday to hit up a store before my dinner order was ready for pickup. I’ve been to this store once before, and promptly left when I saw some of the prices. Thought I’d give it another shot. Yup, same inflated prices. 1792 12yr, $249. WSR, $60. Asked about OWA. The girl told me she could order it and call me when it came in. I said it all depends on price. She then proceeded to tell me they only sell at state minimum, “see these tags? The state sends us them”. Oh really? I didn’t have the heart to argue with her.
It's really bad right now. That's why I like my store so much. I got my Stagg JR for $60, they had Weller SR, 107 and Single Barrell for $39 each, Eagle Rare for $39, Blantons for $60. Basically MSRP. That's why I buy from them. That's how every store should be.
Old 01-21-2024, 05:27 AM   #3786
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahtofire14 View Post
It's really bad right now. That's why I like my store so much. I got my Stagg JR for $60, they had Weller SR, 107 and Single Barrell for $39 each, Eagle Rare for $39, Blantons for $60. Basically MSRP. That's why I buy from them. That's how every store should be.
Might be worth a road trip.

Honestly though, that’s awesome to have a store like that.
Old 01-21-2024, 07:41 AM   #3787
mahtofire14

Bolivar
mahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the roughmahtofire14 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Might be worth a road trip.

Honestly though, that’s awesome to have a store like that.
They don't have those all the time. They just got all their allocated bottles in and everyone on their bourbon buying list got to make one pick. I was just saying that it's nice that when they do get them in, they aren't marked up.
Old 01-21-2024, 09:02 AM   #3788
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
They don't have those all the time. They just got all their allocated bottles in and everyone on their bourbon buying list got to make one pick. I was just saying that it's nice that when they do get them in, they aren't marked up.
Ah, gotcha.
Old 01-21-2024, 10:01 AM   #3789
mahtofire14

Bolivar

They did say they were starting to see some of the harder to find bottles showing up more and more lately. So hopefully they are finally starting to make more or the craze is wearing down a bit.
Old 01-22-2024, 09:54 AM   #3790
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Weller Single Barrel for $39 is insane, Pete, even the 107 is a steal at that price.

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
Old 01-22-2024, 12:33 PM   #3791
Porch Dweller
Life is for living

First Name: James
Trading: (24)
Bolivar AirForce (Retired)
Porch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to beholdPorch Dweller is a splendid one to behold

I was a town over running errands so hit up a place I rarely get to. I picked up some Russell's Reserve Single Barrel, KC 9-year Single Barrel Select...and was surprised to see they had Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace, so I grabbed one of each.
Old 01-22-2024, 02:20 PM   #3792
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
Weller Single Barrel for $39 is insane, Pete, even the 107 is a steal at that price.
Those are MSRP around here as well, with tax.

We have a group of chain stores in the area called Liquor Depot. They have okay prices on most bourbon bottles, but anything allocated, it is marked up higher than secondary. I saw a THH BTAC on Saturday and they wanted $800 for it. Secondary is $550 right now. Rule of thumb for newbies in DFW, if it has Depot in the name and sells allocate bourbon, it is going to be very expensive.
Old 01-22-2024, 03:29 PM   #3793
mahtofire14

Bolivar

Quote:
I agree, but it is MSRP. Just have to find one of the few remaining honest and reputable stores.
Old 01-22-2024, 05:02 PM   #3794
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Sold a bottle of RD One Amburana to a friends boss. Used that money to buy a bottle of RD One Maple barrel finish.

Old 01-25-2024, 05:09 PM   #3795
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Did some hunting today, seeing if there’s anything worth picking up. Nothing worth breaking out the credit card. Did try a High West store pick. 100 proof, finished in Cabernet barrels. It was good, but I don’t need anymore finished bottles right now.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:38 AM   #3796
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
I don’t need anymore finished bottles right now.
No. No ya don't.

Got lucky and caught the Buffalo Trace drop at 3 locals. All had Blanton's (limit 1), and one also had EHT, all at MSRP.

Old 01-26-2024, 07:41 AM   #3797
mahtofire14

Bolivar

Quote:
No. No ya don't.

Got lucky and caught the Buffalo Trace drop at 3 locals. All had Blanton's (limit 1), and one also had EHT, all at MSRP.

Nice! We don't see Blantons much around here.
Old 01-26-2024, 07:48 AM   #3798
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

HUpmann

Quote:
Nice! We don't see Blantons much around here.
We don't see it much for retail either Pete, I just got super lucky with the drops this time. I don't think I've found 3 Blanton's the last 2+ years prior to this.

Old 01-26-2024, 12:41 PM   #3799
mahtofire14

Bolivar

Quote:
We don't see it much for retail either Pete, I just got super lucky with the drops this time. I don't think I've found 3 Blanton's the last 2+ years prior to this.
A few years ago one of my best friends moved to Missoula and I was just getting into bourbon and had a different friend go on a hunting trip out west and found a couple bottles of Blantons. So I call my buddy in Missoula and asked him to look for some Blantons the next time he stopped into his local. He called me back an hour later and asked how many I wanted. Shocked, I said how many do they have? He says 4 cases (16 bottles). Next logical question was how much? He goes, $58 a bottle. I told him (and he wasn't a bourbon guy at this point either), "this is going to sound a little nuts, but if you can swing it, buy them all."

He does and said "because I bought them all she gave me $4 off per bottle!"

So I tell him how much we could sell them for and he figures out what's going on. We ended up splitting the haul 8 bottles each. I sold four and kept four but we ended averaging about a $100 profit on each bottle we sold.

Sad thing is I'm down to my last bottle.
Old 01-26-2024, 05:09 PM   #3800
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

Bolivar

Quote:
A few years ago one of my best friends moved to Missoula and I was just getting into bourbon and had a different friend go on a hunting trip out west and found a couple bottles of Blantons. So I call my buddy in Missoula and asked him to look for some Blantons the next time he stopped into his local. He called me back an hour later and asked how many I wanted. Shocked, I said how many do they have? He says 4 cases (16 bottles). Next logical question was how much? He goes, $58 a bottle. I told him (and he wasn't a bourbon guy at this point either), "this is going to sound a little nuts, but if you can swing it, buy them all."

He does and said "because I bought them all she gave me $4 off per bottle!"

So I tell him how much we could sell them for and he figures out what's going on. We ended up splitting the haul 8 bottles each. I sold four and kept four but we ended averaging about a $100 profit on each bottle we sold.

Sad thing is I'm down to my last bottle.
So you’re the one to blame for the shortage? Just kidding.

Nice pickups there Tom. Was watching the Bourbon Junkies last night, where the blinded all the different Blantons. Top was the gold, but the regular release came in second. I guess it depends on the barrel?