Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

View Poll Results: best scope for a S&W 460
Leupold fxII 4x28 1 25.00%
Leupold vx-3 2.5-8x32 3 75.00%
Nikon force xr 2.5-8x28 0 0%
Voters: 4. You may not vote on this poll

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-12-2012, 07:37 AM   #1
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light
Default Handgun Scopes

I've never put a scope on a handgun before so i'm looking for suggestions. It's going on a S&W 460xvr and it will be used for hunting. (hogs, deer, bear) Realistically a shot too far over 100 yards with a handgun is probably not the best shot selection, but with some (lots) of practice 150 is not out of the question. The 460 is going to pack a hell of a recoil so i'm looking at a leupold fx-II 4x28 or vx-3 2.5-8x32, i also looked at the new nikon force xr 2.5-8x28with the BDC recticle but it's so new i can't find any reviews for it. i took burris with the posi lock out of the picture because i found a dozen or so reviews on cabelas saying the recticle started spinning with the 454-460 calibers.

What would be the advantage of a fixed vs. variable scope? i under stand field of view but is one really more effective than the other? if they're both set for 4x wouldn't target aquisition be the same at that point? the leupolds run $350 and $550, the nikon $300. i have rifles scoped with both brands so i don't doubt the brands, just really wish there were some nikon reviews out there. thanks in advance for any info
rrplasencia is offline   Reply With Quote