Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 12-27-2008, 08:21 AM   #1
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

First Name: Richard
Trading: (55)
JL Navy (Served With Honor)
rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light
Default A Christmas Story

Here's my Christmas story. I bought a large number of Amex gift cards through Simon Mall. I then give out these gift cards. People try to use gift cards but cards all have zero balance. Someone who had access to all the gift card numbers (probably the guy who works for Simon Mall) used all the $$ on the 24th. I didn't hand them out until the 25th. They went on a shopping spree at Walmart of all places. Amex says there not responsible since they were gift cards even though i paid for them with my amex cards. They did suggest that i go to Walmart to dispute the charge. Simon Mall is giving me the run around. I just finished filing a police report with Miami-Dade, which included a bunch of charges they'd like to make like grand theft (yes it was that much), credit card fraud, etc, etc. Careful with this scam and thanks for letting me vent.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:25 AM   #2
ahc4353

Default Re: A Christmas Story

Damn.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:42 AM   #3
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

First Name: Bolivar aka Jay
Trading: (76)
Bolivar MarineCorps (Active)
bvilchez has disabled reputation

Just reading that Richard pisses me off. There's way to track it down you know.

You can call Amex and find out at what time the transaction was made. With time in hand go the the Walmart they were made at. The store manager should be pretty willing to help you if somehow you can prove you purchased the cards under your name (i.e. your receipt) and also see if you can get a few of the cards that you gave out as well to rectify the issue. Ask to see the video with the time and register they were used at.

It's almost doing your police work because it might take a while for the police getting around to it. Maybe you can catch the son of a ***** who did this.
bvilchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 09:34 AM   #4
Mugen910
I <3 Huy

First Name: Location
Trading: (106)
HUpmann MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
Mugen910 has disabled reputation

That's total BS brother...I hate it when people do crap like that! Best of luck trying to get your $ back.
Old 12-27-2008, 09:43 AM   #5
Biglizard1
LLG turned CAI

First Name: David
Trading: (8)
Montecristo
Biglizard1 is on a distinguished road

That truly bites, anytime, but especially when they were gifts for other people. Some people are truly not right.
Biglizard1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 10:01 AM   #6
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of

WTF? This is crap man. Go get the SOB who did this and nail him publicly to a wall.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:19 AM   #7
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

rrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of lightrrplasencia is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Fernando View Post
WTF? This is crap man. Go get the SOB who did this and nail him publicly to a wall.
thought had crossed my mind more then once
Old 12-27-2008, 11:21 AM   #8
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

Hoping things work out for you on this, bro.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2008, 11:35 PM   #9
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough

I read about this on some website a while ago. What thieves are doing are copying down the numbers on the back of the gift cards, then continuously calling the 800# found on the back of each card to see how much is the balance on them. Once they get a confirmed hit on a gift card, they go to town on someone else's dime. It is hard to prove, but it has been the latest trend of thief that is very popular during this time of the year.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:02 AM   #10
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

so far about $1,200.00, still waiting to see if the other cards were hit as well. case has been handed over to Miami Dade economic crimes division.think worst part was seeing my dads face, he took it personally and his heart can't take stress like this.
Old 12-28-2008, 12:04 AM   #11
awsmith4
Simple Pleasures - 2oL

First Name: Albert
Trading: (111)
HUpmann
awsmith4 has disabled reputation

That is just bullshit, this just pisses me off. Good luck Richard.
awsmith4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 08:31 AM   #12
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I'm thinking Amex would change their minds about "who's responsible" once they hear from a lawyer. It'd be far cheaper for them to take care of what's their responsibility than to defend a lawsuit.
You know that they have to be aware of the scam, and they're the ones who fed the scammer the info they needed to rip you off, there's gotta be some law juice in this.

Much more importantly, sorry you have to deal with this.
It'll definately raise your blood pressure.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:37 AM   #13
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I'm thinking Amex would change their minds about "who's responsible" once they hear from a lawyer. It'd be far cheaper for them to take care of what's their responsibility than to defend a lawsuit.
You know that they have to be aware of the scam, and they're the ones who fed the scammer the info they needed to rip you off, there's gotta be some law juice in this.

Much more importantly, sorry you have to deal with this.
It'll definately raise your blood pressure.
I have to agree with Scott on this Richard. I think a scare from a lawyer MIGHT help. It's worth a shot if you know any lawyers.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:08 AM   #14
mrreindeer

Unbelievable, but then, believable. I've heard about folks copying down gift card numbers....why it's best to pick from the back of the stack if you're buying off a rack....better yet to buy from behind the register.

This sucks though, I feel for 'ya brother. Since it was paid with a credit card, you should really be protected...I'd really press your credit card peeps.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:21 AM   #15
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

And I thought this was gonna be about the funny movie! How totally horrible! I sure hope that these people are caught, and made to pay for this crime! I agree that Walmart should help you check the tapes to get a view of these SOBs as they used the cards.

Good luck on this- more proof that there are just way too many low lifes in the USA these days.
Old 12-29-2008, 11:26 AM   #16
bvilchez
En búsqueda.....

I need to stop reading this thread because I just keep getting more and more pissed off everytime I see a new reply on here about this bullsh*t!!!!!!

For someone to have the audacity to do something like that and think they are not going to get caught just makes me want to be there when the cuffs are put on them and just laugh in their face (maybe a swing or 2 wouldn't hurt either).
Old 12-29-2008, 01:10 PM   #17
rrplasencia
monica lewinsky

If my wife was allowed to she could do it, she works for one of the largest law firms in the country. They don't allow free lance work. Simon Mall corporate did say they would investigate but there's no way it could have been done by one of there employees . i'll try a few more angles, as a last resort i have some poeple that work for me that know some people who you wouldn't want dating your daughters. They might know of some people who do this kind of $hit.
Old 12-29-2008, 01:47 PM   #18
Drazzil
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: David
Trading: (31)
RyJ
Drazzil will become famous soon enough

Either way I dont think you're liable for this. I would recommend disputing this through your credit card company, and if they dont play ball hire a lawyer and sue.
Drazzil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2008, 03:10 PM   #19
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrplasencia View Post
as a last resort i have some poeple that work for me that know some people who you wouldn't want dating your daughters. They might know of some people who do this kind of $hit.
Hell is, crackheads and meth junkies don't care if someone takes them out. They welcome it. A good beating wouldn't even slow them down getting to the next 7-11 to get more gift card numbers.
When you think about the mentality of someone who'd do something like this, it's got to be:
A.) Someone with nothing to lose.
B.) A teenage boy.
Add to that the heaping helping of corporate greed, irresponsibility and general moral malaise that we can expect from most businesses nowadays and it's enough to make a hard working honest individual kick someone's ass just for principle.
At least the crackheads have an excuse for their actions.
Old 12-29-2008, 03:48 PM   #20
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Scott- you sadly speak the truth, brother!