Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Sports

Old 10-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
kgoings
Cigarologist

First Name: Kirk
Trading: (42)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
kgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the roughkgoings is a jewel in the rough
Default NFL Thread

So maybe a bit different, post who you root for AND WHY!

Me I grew up in Nebraska, and an rabid Nebraska Football fan. There are not any Pro teams in the area, and I never really developed an interest in any. My father always watched the packers, although I am not sure he is a Packers fan...just a football fan.

And another thing...I HATE BANDWAGON FANS!

So that being that, I was living in Dallas, and surrounded by Cowboy fans. My wife asked me one day, 'Your such a huge Nebraska fan, and really follow college footbal...why don't your follow Pro?' I pondered the question and then said...'well I never picked a team' and she responded..not knowing what she was getting into lol 'You should pick a team, it would be fun!'

So I went to thinking about who MY team would be, and there was no way I was picking the Cowboys, I just could not STAND some of the players on that team. So I sat down and thought about the players I liked and the teams I watch...this was in 99 and the playoffs were just getting started...and ALL the teams I could think of that I could "Like" were in the playoffs... ewwwwww that might make me a Bandwagon fan. So I could not pick any of them. So I kept it in the back of my head, and along comes a job offer in Phoenix....we move to phoenix...and on the flight there it occured to me! NO ONE WOULD CALL ME A BANDWAGON FAN FOR BEING A CARDINALS FAN! LOL!

So I bought season tickets on the 50 yard line, and I am just as Rabid today about the Cardinals as I am about the Huskers! I know long story, and the Cardinals have really sucked the past couple years. But it is fun rooting for the home town team. They have some really cool players, and I have met alot of them around town. And now that they are becoming somewhat "Okay" it is really fun!

Okay enough...how bout you?
kgoings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2008, 02:09 PM   #2
Beer Doctor

Default Re: NFL Thread

I'm a HUGE Dallas Cowboys fan. I'm from WI and my Dad was born and raised in MN. He bought me a Herschel Walker football that was silver and blue when I was 6 or 7 and from then on I've been a Cowboys fan. My Dad told me I have to like the Vikes after he was traded to MN so I adopted them as my second favorite team. I always get chit for being a bandwagoner even though I've always rooted for the Cowboys...eh everyone hates a winner

GO COWBOYS!!!
Old 10-15-2008, 03:36 PM   #3
acruce
Just killing Time

First Name: Andy
Trading: (1)
Bolivar
acruce is on a distinguished road

Cowboys fan here!!Even though half the team is hurt . They should still be fine.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:42 PM   #4
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

First Name: Paul
Trading: (0)
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

I was a Vikes fan as a kid growing up in the D.C. area. Never was a 'Skins fan. Mostly because I liked Tarkenton. Graduated H.S., Go T.C. Williams Titans, and moved to the Tampa Bay area with my grandparents in 1977.

Football season was getting started and I figured I was starting a new part of my life in a new place so I would be a fan of the local team. Switched to the Bucs at the beginning of their second season and have been loyal ever since, in spite of the horrid Hugh Culverhouse years.
Old 10-25-2008, 12:58 PM   #5
Squid
Old Man Herfer

VR Navy (Retired)
Squid has disabled reputation

Skins fan! Grew up here in the Carolina's when we didn't have a pro team, but, every Sunday this area received the Skins broadcast. The days of Jurgenson, Hanburger, Kilmer, Larry Brown, Charlie Taylor, Art Monk, Theisman, Riggins, Coaches George Allan and Joe Gibbs,The Hoggs, and the many others have always been some of the best times.

Best memory---taking my Dad to see his first ever Redskins game against Dallas in 1982 and seeing the Skins knock Danny White from the game and winning huge over the Cowboys! My dad talked about that game for years and years.

Panthers get a look from me every year...but, the Skins will ALWAYS be MY TEAM!
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
taltos
Really, really old

Trading: (3)
Punch MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
taltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the roughtaltos is a jewel in the rough

I was a Giants fan in the '50's and when the Patriots were founded I gradually became a fan of the Pats. Still also love the Giants.
taltos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:08 PM   #7
Squid
Old Man Herfer

VR Navy (Retired)
Squid has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
I was a Giants fan in the '50's and when the Patriots were founded I gradually became a fan of the Pats. Still also love the Giants.
Definitely remember some of the early years of the old AFC "Boston" Patriots!
Squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 01:26 PM   #8
CBI_2
Have My Own Room

Trading: (0)
CBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the roughCBI_2 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by taltos View Post
Damn! And I've been called old.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:53 AM   #9
Goz

Grew up in Northern NJ. My father and godfather were relocated there from Chicago when I was very young. Therefore I was brought up a Bears fan. I was around for the '85 team but I was 2 1/2 so it has not been a great ride. We have had some great runs, but it has mostly been pretty hard to be a Bears fan. But I'd be pretty happy if all we did beat Green Bay.
Old 10-27-2008, 11:56 AM   #10
Mr.Maduro
In Domino Confido

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (83)
HUpmann
Mr.Maduro has disabled reputation

REDSKINS....since 2nd grade....that's about 25 years!!
Old 10-28-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Panthers fan as of Sunday. I've never gotten into football until I attended the Carolina/Arizona game Sunday. Loved it. Carolina fan here.

I lived in Nashville when I was a child, so if the Titans are on (last night against the Colts) I'll pull for them too!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:53 PM   #12
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

Grew up in the 1960s about 2 miles from Lambeau field. Was a caddy at Oneida Golf and Riding Club and carried the sticks of:
Ray Nitschke
Tony Canadeo
Paul Horning
Bob Skoronski
Gary Knaflec
and a few others...

Dad got season tickets in 1976 so that he and I could go to games.

So, what team do you think has been my team? Even when I was living in such places as:
Chicago: Los Angeles; Ft. Wayne, IN; Onekama, MI; Naugatuck, CT

Now that we're only 45 min. away from Lambeau, still use those same tickets, but now dad likes to take his grandsons to a few games. That's cool!