Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Discussion

Old 12-03-2008, 09:53 AM   #1
Hardcz

Default Where to get the mokapot

So I'm looking for a smaller moka pot... 1-3 cups as suggested by the Magnificent Moo.....

I came up with this:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W0CI80?...0&linkCode=asn

Not a bad price. Wondering if you guru's had any other sites to use instead with better pricing or maybe extra's I could throw in to help my overall experience.
Old 12-03-2008, 11:31 AM   #2
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Where to get the mokapot

$21.99 and lower freight charge here. I like these folks; prompt, good lines and honest. Thorough, helpful web site, too. Not always the cheapest but always reliable.

http://fantes.com/espresso-stovetop.html
Old 12-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #3
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation

I have one cups at 15.99 and 6 cups at 24.99... im out of the 3 cups which were at 20.99, but im expecting a shipment soon.

postage would be priority shipping- around $5.00

I do have a non-Bialetti 3 cup for $9.99

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2008, 11:36 AM   #4
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Around my parts, Bed bath and Beyond sells them.
Old 12-03-2008, 12:16 PM   #5
Hardcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
3 cups which were at 20.99, but im expecting a shipment soon.

postage would be priority shipping- around $5.00

I do have a non-Bialetti 3 cup for $9.99
I love going through BOTL's be it lower or higher prices. Gotta help out when I can.

Is there much difference between the two versions of 3 cups? From what I've seen it looks like it's machined or cast metal parts that screw together with the filter basket.

Once I figure this last question out I'm hoping to be able to pick something up from you.

Thanks Moo for the quick reply, that site is going to be a go to for future purchases, especially with the high reviews you give it.

Dan
Old 12-03-2008, 12:18 PM   #6
Hardcz

Quote:
Originally Posted by floydpink View Post
Around my parts, Bed bath and Beyond sells them.
Went this weekend, they only carried the 6 cup versions and wanted to charge me about 7 bucks for shipping... and I believe they were roughly $29.99
Old 12-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #7
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

I wouldnt expect you to buy from me if I cant give you a better price, but I appreciate it.

The difference is the weight. The Bialetti is more solid and sturdy, and if you take care of it, will last you along time (your kids could one day inherit it).

The Klassica is made with a lighter gauge of aluminum... not that its bad, its just not the same. They are both made in Italy, Klassica is made by G.A.T.

The Bialetti I would not recommed putting in the dishwasher, but Klassica says on the box that its diswasher safe.

The Klassica is made from recycled materials, the Bialetti doesnt specify.

They are both suitable for use on gas, electric, or induction cooktops.

They both look very similar.

Its like comparing professional cookware to cheap cookware. Will you get the same results, maybe. (My mother can cook up a feast on a hot rock if needbe.)

I have a 1 cup bialetti and a 1 cup Klassica (my wife had it before we got married). I tend to grab the Bialetti more often, but the Klassica makes coffee just as well.

The Klassica by G.A.T.

"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
Old 12-03-2008, 04:21 PM   #8
Hardcz

Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. The part that got me is about the cookware, as I know exactly what you're talking about... if it doesn't feel like someone will get hurt if you hit them with it...then it's not worth buying =)
Old 12-03-2008, 04:40 PM   #9
MithShrike

I keep getting my Bialetti moka pots at Marshall's or Ross. Normally $8 or less.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:33 PM   #10
tzaddi

Quote:
Originally Posted by MithShrike View Post
I keep getting my Bialetti moka pots at Marshall's or Ross. Normally $8 or less.
What he said but TJ Maxx, based on a quick Google it looks like you have plenty of TJ Maxx Stores in the area. They also carry the stainless steel variety (my personal prefernce). I have purchased everything from 1, 3, 4, 6 & 10 cuppers from them for very little coin. Happy shopping.

PS The smaller cuppers are more efficient IMHO.
Old 12-03-2008, 05:38 PM   #11
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by tzaddi View Post
What he said but TJ Maxx, based on a quick Google it looks like you have plenty of TJ Maxx Stores in the area. They also carry the stainless steel variety (my personal prefernce). I have purchased everything from 1, 3, 4, 6 & 10 cuppers from them for very little coin. Happy shopping.

PS The smaller cuppers are more efficient IMHO.
Dan, definately take a look at Marshalls and TJMaxx... but IMO stay away from the stainless... While they look beautiful, they dont make coffee as good as the aluminum.

I offer this advice after years of using both... we only use the decorative stainless when we have guests... kinda like the good China

Old 12-03-2008, 06:51 PM   #12
tzaddi

Quote:
Dan, definately take a look at Marshalls and TJMaxx... but IMO stay away from the stainless... While they look beautiful, they dont make coffee as good as the aluminum.

I offer this advice after years of using both... we only use the decorative stainless when we have guests... kinda like the good China
To each his/her own. I don't put aluminum in my arm pits nor use it for any of my cookware, (personal preference). I was however able to pick up a nice little porcelain 1 cupper at TJs once It has since been retired due to it's aluminum base, but it's still a cutie.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:23 PM   #13
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
To each his/her own. I don't put aluminum in my arm pits nor use it for any of my cookware, (personal preference). I was however able to pick up a nice little porcelain 1 cupper at TJs once It has since been retired due to it's aluminum base, but it's still a cutie.

thats a great looking pot!

what is your aversion to aluminum? health concerns?

Old 12-03-2008, 10:08 PM   #14
tzaddi

Quote:
thats a great looking pot!

what is your aversion to aluminum? health concerns?
Health concerns, we are all gonna pass away someday but we get to make a few decisions along the way, just taking my best guess.

Aluminum is a better heat conductor than SS, hence a better choice from my experience when making that fine faux crema.

When at home I use a special propane single burner that helps overcome the SS shortcomings.

That was the first mokapot that I purchased, didn't even know how to use it, but now I do
Old 12-03-2008, 10:13 PM   #15
md4958
Captain Cannoli

HUpmann

Quote:
Health concerns, we are all gonna pass away someday but we get to make a few decisions along the way, just taking my best guess.

Aluminum is a better heat conductor than SS, hence a better choice from my experience when making that fine faux crema.

When at home I use a special propane single burner that helps overcome the SS shortcomings.

That was the first mokapot that I purchased, didn't even know how to use it, but now I do
Thats why I recommend the aluminum to my customers over stainless... even though we sell both. I think they will have a better overall experience using the aluminum pots, and in turn be happier with thier purchase

Old 12-04-2008, 06:21 AM   #16
Hardcz

TJ MAXX!!!! I vaguely remember where one is. Not a huge chain out here promotional wise...google I will have to do.
Old 12-04-2008, 06:35 AM   #17
Sancho
Puddle Jumper

First Name: Chris
Trading: (7)
Sancho has disabled reputation

Let me know if you find the 3 cuppers, I got my 6er at bed bath and beyond
Sancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2008, 02:13 PM   #18
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I wouldnt expect you to buy from me if I cant give you a better price, but I appreciate it.

The difference is the weight. The Bialetti is more solid and sturdy, and if you take care of it, will last you along time (your kids could one day inherit it).

The Klassica is made with a lighter gauge of aluminum... not that its bad, its just not the same. They are both made in Italy, Klassica is made by G.A.T.

The Bialetti I would not recommed putting in the dishwasher, but Klassica says on the box that its diswasher safe.

The Klassica is made from recycled materials, the Bialetti doesnt specify.

They are both suitable for use on gas, electric, or induction cooktops.

They both look very similar.

Its like comparing professional cookware to cheap cookware. Will you get the same results, maybe. (My mother can cook up a feast on a hot rock if needbe.)

I have a 1 cup bialetti and a 1 cup Klassica (my wife had it before we got married). I tend to grab the Bialetti more often, but the Klassica makes coffee just as well.

The Klassica by G.A.T.
Yes. That's what I meant to say. This is where I'd buy mine.