Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Reviews

Old 11-24-2008, 05:47 AM   #1
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Kona

If there is anything called "Kona Blend" that is worth drinking (anywhere except, maybe, on the island) I never tasted it. I think a Kona blend is pretty much a lie, like Jamaican Blue Mountain.

Sunday: two pounds of green Kona Mountain(tm) (The Love of Aloha) 100% Kona Coffee made it to my doorstep. Rather than fiddle around I went for the gusto and dumped it all into the BBQ-roaster. Nine minutes later the smoke was exploding and the first crack was popping loudly, almost like popcorn. 10 1/2 minutes later the last few snaps were still at it when I dumped the beans into the cooling tower. Color is an even light/medium brown - no hint of surface oil. Kona shines for me when the roast is very light - I may have gone a minute too far with this.

Monday: a pot in the press. It's OK but under-developed. There is the hint of something great coming along in a few days but, right now, it tastes a bit "green" and is mildly astringent.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:18 AM   #2
md4958
Captain Cannoli

First Name: Moe
Trading: (62)
HUpmann
md4958 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Kona

We happened upon Bay View Farms on our honeymoon and order regularly. Probably my favorite coffee in the world. That reminds me... I think its time to re-order!

"One fart can foul the air for everyone" - Esteemed philosopher
"If avoiding the nasty $hit is being a snob, them I am guilty as charged."- Same esteemed philosopher.
md4958 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:10 AM   #3
Hardcz

looks sexy man... and your tools...makes me long for a mocha pot..... soon my pretty...soon, I will own one.... damn cigar buying is putting a hamper on my coffee drinking.
Old 11-24-2008, 07:28 AM   #4
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardcz View Post
looks sexy man... and your tools...makes me long for a mocha pot..... soon my pretty...soon, I will own one.... damn cigar buying is putting a hamper on my coffee drinking.
I kinda sneaked that Reg Barber tamper into the photo. That's what we call an extra.
Old 11-24-2008, 12:39 PM   #5
novasurf
The Roastmaster General

Trading: (2)
novasurf is on a distinguished road

Quote:
damn cigar buying is putting a hamper on my coffee drinking
Balance grasshopper, balance.
novasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 02:42 PM   #6
JohnnyFlake
Just an old Wiseguy!

First Name: John
Trading: (18)
HUpmann Army
JohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyFlake has a spectacular aura about

I love Kona Coffee, it's my wife's and my favorite of all time!

I/we have tried at least 15 and maybe even more Kona Blends, and to put it simply, they all suck! I am not positive of the percentage, but I believe the laws involved only require that the mixer contain a minimum of 10% of Kona Bean for it to be called a Kona Blend. That's ridiculous!

Unfortunately, I do not roast, so I buy most of my Kona Coffee (Bean), pre-roasted, from Trader Joe's. For me, it seems to be the best, store bought, Kona Bean around!
Old 11-24-2008, 07:32 PM   #7
ghostrider
Ridin the storm

First Name: Drew
Trading: (4)
Bolivar CoastGuard (Active)
ghostrider is on a distinguished road

Wow. I came home today and decided it was time to roast up a batch of Kona I've been sitting on. Looking forward to sharing some with everyone on Thanksgiving.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2008, 07:49 PM   #8
Mister Moo

Thumbs up Re: Kona

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
Looking forward to sharing some with everyone on Thanksgiving.
If there is a Spirit of Coffee, you are it.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:00 AM   #9
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFlake View Post
...I/we have tried ... even more Kona Blends, and to put it simply, they all suck! I am not positive of the percentage, but I believe the laws involved only require that the mixer contain a minimum of 10% of Kona Bean for it to be called a Kona Blend. That's ridiculous!
Kona blend is about as phoney as a three-dollar bill. The first real 100% Kona I had was in Hawaii and, once tasted - never forgotten. No blend I ever tried has anything in common with Kona.

Tuesday morning - the roast is developing. Nuttiness is breaking out everywhere and the flavor is expanding! Keeping Ghostrider philosophy up front I should have peaking Kona for everyone, Thursday-Sunday.

Speaking of phoney as a three-dollar bill, how does every website, coffeeshop and 2-out-of-three grocerystores in America have bags of Jamaican Blue Mountain coffee for sale? And what about the rest of the world? Where does it all come from? JBM is one of those things you ought not to buy unless you personally know the grower or the importer. The initials JBM got yuppy-ized a dozen years ago and now they're like a dirty tattoo on the industy (in my opinion). I'd guess there is way more Kona than JBM grown annually and finding real, 100% Kona out here in the US economy takes a little effort - and just because you find the real deal doesn't necessarily mean the crop was worth drinking.

An annual harvest of only 900 tonnes:
The area on which Blue Mountain can be grown under regulated conditions is limited to 6,000 hectares. Accordingly the harvest is small, and picking is by hand exclusively. Only around 900 tonnes of Blue Mountain Coffee are harvested each year, less than 0.1 per cent of Colombia’s coffee production. It is only once the experts of the Coffee Industry Board of Jamaica (CIB) have certifi ed the select green coffee that it is exported in wooden barrels. Up to 80 per cent of the harvest goes to the Japanese market, where passionate coffee connoisseurs are happy to pay up to USD 10 and more for a cup. The coffee’s intense, clear, almost nutty taste makes it a unique experience. Britain’s Royal Family has savoured this rand cru coffee since the colonial period. And anyone who has read Ian Fleming’s 007 novels knows that the eponymous hero drinks only Blue Mountain Coffee (the author himself lived on Jamaica for many years).
Old 11-26-2008, 12:18 PM   #10
Mister Moo

Kona Wednesday - three days post-roast. The coffee is well developed after a three day rest. It may improve a bit more over the next couple of days but, right now, it has good body and a deep, nutty flavor. Great stuff.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:29 AM   #11
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by md4958 View Post
We happened upon Bay View Farms on our honeymoon and order regularly. Probably my favorite coffee in the world. That reminds me... I think its time to re-order!
Anyone ever tried Kona from Smith Farms?
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 11:33 AM   #12
ghostrider
Ridin the storm

First Name: Drew
Trading: (4)
Bolivar CoastGuard (Active)
ghostrider is on a distinguished road

I've purchased from Smith Farms a couple of times. haven't been disappointed yet.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2008, 12:28 PM   #13
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by bborge View Post
... Smith Farms?
Always reliable. Class act.
Old 07-02-2009, 03:32 AM   #14
novasurf
The Roastmaster General

Trading: (2)
novasurf is on a distinguished road

Unless you get Kona or Jamaican Blue Mountain from certified sources (transparency at all levels of the transaction), caveat emptor.
novasurf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2009, 03:59 PM   #15
dannyboy
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Daniel
Trading: (31)
Trinidad
dannyboy will become famous soon enough

I never beleived the hype on Kona coffee until I worked on a coffee farm in Kona. Man was it good. My friend (who never drank any coffee because he didn't like it) and I (who drank only heavily altered coffees, i.e. Frappachino and lots of syrups and creamers) were drinking at least a cup of black Kona daily. Sweet, floral and not even a hint of bitterness to be found in the cup! The year after I left the farm, they won best cup in a Kona competition, and it was no surprise to me.

You are correct, Kona blends a real joke. 10% Kona coffee is required, which means that you are drinking 90% cheap beans. I always warn tourists to make sure they get 100% Kona coffee from one of the local coffee shops, if they want to bring some home.
dannyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 06:23 PM   #16
emtsmoker

I love Kona coffee. I had only had local kona blends until i finally ordered some from one of the Hawiian distributors. Cost me $25/lb, but it was well worth it to get the real thing. That has to be my favorite coffee.
Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 PM   #17
jdakine
Sawadee

First Name: Jay
Trading: (34)
Partagas
jdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura aboutjdakine has a spectacular aura about

I have lived in Hawaii for over 30 years and I have had my fare share of Kiona Coffee. 100% Kone is the way to go, it's very expensive and that's why you have so many blends on the market, most people who visist the Islands don't want to spend that kind of money on coffee unless they are true coffee lovers.

The 100% Kona Peaberry is the best IMHO, but way over priced. Put fresh grounds in a French Press and you will have one of the best cups of coffee you will ever drink.
Old 07-26-2010, 08:16 PM   #18
Pistol

Jenn and I just got back from the Big Island, and I bought 10 pounds of beans from Fike Farms and the Greenwell Estate. We toured both farms and had a great time. I can't wait to roast this stuff up! The breakdown was 7 pounds of Fancy beans and 3 pounds of the Peaberry from Greenwell. I can't wait to go back...
Old 07-26-2010, 09:50 PM   #19
Volcodom
Just in from the Storm

First Name: Mellamo Tomas
Trading: (0)
Montecristo
Volcodom is on a distinguished road

I can honestly say I enjoy the "Kona" blend coffee I have tried, however I can tell it's really mostly a farce the taste is slightly more nutty than most other coffee and has the espresso taste I enjoy as a strong coffee. However if I ever do get a chance to try the real deal I'll jump at the opportunity.

A woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke!
Volcodom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:24 PM   #20
kazzaca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post
Kona blend is about as phoney as a three-dollar bill. The first real 100% Kona I had was in Hawaii and, once tasted - never forgotten. No blend I ever tried has anything in common with Kona.
Agreed, the Kona blends just aren't the same.

When I got back home from Hawaii I went through withdrawal. I couldn't buy coffee anywhere because nothing was as good as what we were drinking on the islands.