Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Reviews

Old 02-04-2010, 07:05 AM   #1
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough
Default First Coffee Review: Sumatran Mandehling

This is my first coffee review!

Company: RockStone Premium Coffee (of Jameson Cigars)

Bean Origin or Blend: Sumatra Mandehling

Body: Medium-Full

Roast: Medium

Brew Method: Drip

Price: $14/lb.

Background:
This particular roast comes from North Sumatra (Indonesia), a region that has been producing coffee since the 18th century. Mandehling gets its name from one of the Indonesain ethnic groups, the people of Mandailing, and not a particular region of Indonesia. There is a legend as to how the name came into use for coffee trade, which you can read here. Also of interest is the different spelling of the word, whereas some sell the coffee under the “e” in Mandehling coming prior to the “h” while other reverse the order.

Indonesian coffee is interesting and unique in that there is a tendency to over roast the coffee due to the slow coloring effect on Indonesian beans. Check out Sweet Marias’ website for more information on this great coffee region.

RockStone Coffee is just getting started and has been introduced by Brad Mayo, president of Jameson Cigars. Check them out here. Their coffee is sold in one pound bags and 4 oz. bags. From the website:
Born from the quest for the ultimate coffee experience, RockStone Coffee represents the diverse regions, roasts, and blends that capture the imagination and stimulate the mind. Explore our artisanal coffees and discover those that kindle your spirit. Each distinguished batch is micro-roasted and crafted for a distinctively original experience.
Profile:
The SM has low acidity with only tiny bits of tartness. This is a thick coffee with a medium-full body. The flavor profile is very earthy and smoky, with hints of non-bitter chocolate on the finish. The balance on this coffee is excellent and it possesses a very consistent complexity with no one dominating flavor—however, this is by no means a clean coffee (free from flavor) but rather it possesses a wonderful, non-overpowering profile.

Summary:
At $14 per pound, this is a great micro-roasted coffee. RockStone has the benefit of being connected to a cigar company and they often offer coffee/cigar combos at reduced rates. For this reason, there is a nice added value to be found for cigar smokers when purchasing a pound of RockStone. I enjoy Indonesian coffee and the flavor and body on the Manehling were very pleasant; I would definitely add this to my rotation.
Old 02-05-2010, 08:09 AM   #2
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: First Coffee Review: Sumatran Mandehling

Great review, great coffee and a rawther pricey price at 14-semolians.

But who am I to argue with the value of "great micro-roasted coffee"? I still remember the first cup of quality, fresh home-roasted Sumatra Mandheling coffee I ever drank. In fact, it was the first bean I ever roasted. The aroma was all over the house and it knocked Mrs. Moo and me for a loop; it was without a doubt the first great cup of coffee I ever made. It converted me to the home-roasting, Mazzer-grinding, espresso/mokapot and french-pressing fool that I am. Thanks for the reminder of the bean that cost me thousands of dollars, thousands of hours and departure from normal-coffee world.
Old 02-05-2010, 10:12 AM   #3
OHRD
Garage w/ couch & ashtray

First Name: Matt
Trading: (39)
OHRD will become famous soon enoughOHRD will become famous soon enough

Moo, I'm still using pre-roasted beans, a burr, and a drip w/ an occasional french press. I keep wanting to get into homebrewing but dont have the time or money...maybe one day!
Old 02-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #4
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I like the Sumatra, too. Good stuff. Not quite as sweet as I like, but it has an awesome body. Not as awesome as P!nk, but not as pricey, either.
Old 02-05-2010, 01:59 PM   #5
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by matthewjmichael View Post
Moo, I'm still using pre-roasted beans, a burr, and a drip w/ an occasional french press. I keep wanting to get into homebrewing but dont have the time or money...maybe one day!
Your day will come.

All you need is a popcorn popper.