Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Reviews

Old 08-10-2009, 01:24 PM   #1
Mister Moo
I barely grok the obvious

First Name: Dan
Trading: (3)
HUpmann Army (Served With Honor)
Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough
Default Community Coffee of Baton Rouge, LA

Thanks for the coffee Silound. I made my first press pot of the whole bean 100% arabica this morning. All told, this could be the best competitively priced commercial coffee I ever had. Based on the Community Coffee web site it looks like their price is low and their civic-mindedness is high.

The coffee appeared very fresh in the press pot. I would call the taste middle-of-the-road, the is body heavy and the roast is dark but not oily. This coffee is optimized for a cafe-au-lait with a teaspoon of sugar. It drank black just fine but finer still with a little sugar and some Half&Half.

If this is "grocery store" coffee at $5.59 down your way then I'd call it the best buy and best taste around. I can't wait to try their espresso blend.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:43 PM   #2
Wharf Rat
I'll get up and fly away

First Name: Bob
Trading: (7)
RA
Wharf Rat will become famous soon enoughWharf Rat will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Community Coffee of Baton Rouge, LA

Community Coffee is excellent, if you can get it in your area. I lived in Memphis for a year and miss it. My favorite is the "Between Roast" blend.

Here near St Louis, we get the locally roasted Kaldi in some supermarkets. Also very good, but more expensive.

Bob
Wharf Rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:48 PM   #3
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

As a native son of LA.... Community, CDM, Luzuianne, all rock. Love me some LA coffee (especially if it has chicory). Only thing better is if there is a plate of beniets sitting next to the cup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mister Moo View Post

Thanks for the coffee Silound. I made my first press pot of the whole bean 100% arabica this morning. All told, this could be the best competitively priced commercial coffee I ever had. Based on the Community Coffee web site it looks like their price is low and their civic-mindedness is high.

The coffee appeared very fresh in the press pot. I would call the taste middle-of-the-road, the is body heavy and the roast is dark but not oily. This coffee is optimized for a cafe-au-lait with a teaspoon of sugar. It drank black just fine but finer still with a little sugar and some Half&Half.

If this is "grocery store" coffee at $5.59 down your way then I'd call it the best buy and best taste around. I can't wait to try their espresso blend.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #4
captain53
Have My Own Room

First Name: Dave
captain53 will become famous soon enough

I am a native LA son and I have CDM shipped up to me for survival. It is the best Chicory blend coffee, Community is to Light, second best a bit lighter than CDM is French Market which I can pick up at the local Hy Vee.
captain53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 04:59 PM   #5
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
I am a native LA son and I have CDM shipped up to me for survival. It is the best Chicory blend coffee, Community is to Light, second best a bit lighter than CDM is French Market which I can pick up at the local Hy Vee.

We need to have a coffee and a cigar some day. You and I like teh same stuff. Unfortuantly these heathan bastards in VA have no clue as to what coffee should be - Folgers?
Old 08-10-2009, 05:11 PM   #6
captain53
Have My Own Room

I would certainly enjoy that! Yep I work in a Folgers environment myself but I got me a fine little single cup Cuisenart machine in my office and also a pretty decent coffee shop in walking distance so I survive. I tell them Folgers is simply colored water. I like BOLD maduro cigars too!

Where bouts you from down there? I am from Shreveport grew up a much further south lifestyle.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:20 PM   #7
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Quote:
I would certainly enjoy that! Yep I work in a Folgers environment myself but I got me a fine little single cup Cuisenart machine in my office and also a pretty decent coffee shop in walking distance so I survive. I tell them Folgers is simply colored water. I like BOLD maduro cigars too!

Where bouts you from down there? I am from Shreveport grew up a much further south lifestyle.
Born in Shreveport, lived most of my life in Alexandria, some time in Feriday. Hard finding good food, coffee, and a mud bug boil in VA.....
Old 08-10-2009, 05:26 PM   #8
captain53
Have My Own Room

How bout that. I have given up on good food here, it just does not exist but there is a regional coffee outfit Dunns that is not bad.

Just saw a post wishing you Happy Birthday, dittos! Hope the AC gets fixed.
Old 08-10-2009, 05:29 PM   #9
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Quote:
How bout that. I have given up on good food here, it just does not exist but there is a regional coffee outfit Dunns that is not bad.

Just saw a post wishing you Happy Birthday, dittos! Hope the AC gets fixed.

Thanks. Tomorrow if i can believe the installer.
Old 08-11-2009, 02:13 PM   #10
Mister Moo

Mister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the roughMister Moo is a jewel in the rough

You guys remind me of Archie and Jughead.

So, how's the A/C? Fixed yet? 98* here in Raleigh today.

Hey now! If you're in Norfolk try stopping by 18th and Monticello to visit Chris and Rick at Norfolk Coffee & T, Ltd. They roast on premises and do a good job of it, too. They do not make beignets but their coffee is roasted right and fresh on premises.

Norfolk Coffee & Tea CO (Norfolk Coffee & Tea Ltd* )
212 E 18th St
Norfolk, VA 23517-2388
Phone: (757) 622-3950
Old 08-11-2009, 04:19 PM   #11
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

If I get across the tunnel I may stop in. But I avoid that thing like the plauge. AC boys got done at 1500 and cold air is flowing. Gonna take a bit to cool all the hot surfaces though.

I would do evil things to get my mom's or Cafe du Monde's beniets at this point. Haven't had any in years. 12 - 15 of those and 2 cups of chicory coffee.... Pure bliss. Tried making them, but alas, as usual, no one can match what Mom cooked.

BTW, Can i be Archie?
Old 08-12-2009, 07:05 AM   #12
Mister Moo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
If I get across the tunnel I may stop in. But I avoid that thing like the plauge. AC boys got done at 1500 and cold air is flowing. Gonna take a bit to cool all the hot surfaces though.

I would do evil things to get my mom's or Cafe du Monde's beniets at this point. Haven't had any in years. 12 - 15 of those and 2 cups of chicory coffee.... Pure bliss. Tried making them, but alas, as usual, no one can match what Mom cooked.

BTW, Can i be Archie?
Sure. Be Archie.

I was working down the road an noticed Norfolk Coffee & Tea for the first time after driving past it about 11-teen times. It's easy to miss. The sell some odds and ends but mostly they roast coffee. Right now they're running some Brazil Santos that is quite good. Catch the tunnel at the right time and it's not so awful - all for coffee, right?

A beignet without Cafe du Monde wrapped around it might not taste as good but I am sorry to say I never tried one of your Moms.
Old 08-12-2009, 11:53 AM   #13
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Quote:
Sure. Be Archie.

I was working down the road an noticed Norfolk Coffee & Tea for the first time after driving past it about 11-teen times. It's easy to miss. The sell some odds and ends but mostly they roast coffee. Right now they're running some Brazil Santos that is quite good. Catch the tunnel at the right time and it's not so awful - all for coffee, right?

A beignet without Cafe du Monde wrapped around it might not taste as good but I am sorry to say I never tried one of your Moms.
I can post the recipie if you want to try it..... Mine are good... just I can taste the difference
Old 08-12-2009, 12:55 PM   #14
Mister Moo

Quote:
I can post the recipie if you want to try it..... Mine are good... just I can taste the difference
What for you wait? I cooking up some beignet fast as you count un-du-tray.
Old 08-12-2009, 04:59 PM   #15
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

ERdM Navy (Retired)

Quote:
What for you wait? I cooking up some beignet fast as you count un-du-tray.

Here ya go:

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19932
Old 08-30-2009, 12:29 PM   #16
macpappy
Rider on the storm.

Trading: (0)
Cohiba CoastGuard (Retired)
macpappy will become famous soon enough

Quote:

BTW, Can i be Archie?
Here's a good link for you. It's a nice size place just off the Twin Span going into Slidell. Or I can always buy a box of the Beignet mix at the local grocery and ship to you...

http://www.bayoucountry.com/
Old 11-19-2010, 08:54 AM   #17
lunneyz

This is my first time on a Coffee thread so I was definitley excited to see people paying homage to Community. One of my buddies turned me on to the stuff. He grew up on it living in Baton Rouge. Said it got him and another guy through 7 months in Afghanistan. I was like a kid at Christmas when I found it in Winn Dixie in Jacksonville, FL. I was ordering it, but Community charges more for the shipping than for the coffee. I would usually just stock up when they had free shipping deals. You can't beat it for 6 bucks for a 1lb brick. I love the New Orleans Blend with Chicory. Haven't found a better store bought bag, even Starbucks.
Old 11-20-2010, 09:34 PM   #18
billybarue
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (5)
billybarue has disabled reputation

Just left Shreveport after 5 years. I prefer "French Market" brand. An added bonus to "chicory" coffee is it takes a lot less of it (about half as much) to brew a full rich cup o' Joe. so the $5.59 price Mister Moo quoted in the original post is even less when compared to how much less I use to brew up a batch. FWIW
billybarue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 06:16 AM   #19
leauriartee

wow its intresting information for me.