Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Coffee & Tea Forum > Coffee Reviews

Old 03-03-2014, 03:51 PM   #1
goatfarmer
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Dave
Trading: (0)
Partagas Navy (Served With Honor)
goatfarmer is on a distinguished road
Default "Fresh roasted" subscription company

Ran a search on topic and was unable to find any info but suspect the subject has come up on several occasions. Interested if there are any coffee enthusiast who have an opinion on these 'fresh roasted' coffee beans distributors; subscribe and they will send 12oz every couple weeks in what they describe as their 'fresh roasted beans'? I just took my first sip of what this particular company, Tonx' describes as their 'fresh roasted', reportedly a Peruvian bean, not sure I am that excited with this particular blend?? It's a sad commentary, let us say this long time senior citizen, has never tried fresh roasted coffee beans. Aware the best option would to be to order the beans and roast them at home but thought perhaps the subscription route might be an trial introduction before taking the next step?? Any comments, suggestions appreciated. .
Old 03-03-2014, 04:01 PM   #2
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation
Default Re: "Fresh roasted" subscription company

Do you have any roasters in your area? I'm lucky that in the Portland area there are a huge number of roasters so I get to buy direct as soon as they bag the beans
Old 03-03-2014, 05:14 PM   #3
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Gotta agree with Mark, look into local roasters if you don't end up roasting yourself.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:19 PM   #4
goatfarmer
Still Watching My Back

It has been awhile since I last checked but those I have sell the bean but did not roast. There's a co-op coffee bean outlet fairly local (25 miles) where they buy in bulk and distribute the beans, either thru the store of online, not much of a selection in coffee beans or roasting machines. There is another shop directly across from that store designed more for the coffee drinking enthusiast, been a couple months and they did not roast; in the past, owner apparently did not have a set of store hours so it's was hit or miss.

There has to be a roaster in the area, just a matter of finding them. Have to decide how often and distance willing to travel to satisfy my coffee fix. May try the subscription route for couple months, if I prefer the 'fresh roasted' coffee bean over the store bought bean then I can switch to buying the bean online and purchase a small 2-4 cup roaster. Have to do some research whether or not there's a shelf life issue with the green non roasted coffee bean as there is with the store bought roasted??? Appreciate the suggestions!!
Old 03-03-2014, 06:26 PM   #5
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Check out SweetMarias.com for all your home roasting needs. They have a great selection of green beans with roasting notes, plus all the equipment you would need. But I bet you can find someone local first.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:34 PM   #6
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Are you near one of these outlets? May be worth looking at.

http://www.santacruzcoffee.com/pages/locations.html

http://www.vervecoffeeroasters.com/p...ocations-hours

http://www.javabobscoffee.com/location.html
Old 03-03-2014, 06:51 PM   #7
goatfarmer
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
Check out SweetMarias.com for all your home roasting needs. They have a great selection of green beans with roasting notes, plus all the equipment you would need. But I bet you can find someone local first.
Appreciate the link, will check it out. As mentioned, this afternoon was my first attempt at brewing 'fresh roasted' beans and although not overly enthusiastic with the Peruvian bean I did find a noticeable difference in flavor. I use the French press and storing the store bought bean has been an issue so what I have been doing is placing the beans in 6 oz sealed paks and place them in the freezer, once the pak is opened I use the amount needed and zap them for 30 or so seconds before placing them in the grinder. Noted it's a poor substitute but it's about as close to fresh as I have come up with and open to any suggestions . Thanks to all, again thank you for the info!!.
Old 03-03-2014, 06:55 PM   #8
goatfarmer
Still Watching My Back

Quote:
Originally Posted by markem View Post
Well there you go, definitely will check them out next time I am in the area. Thanks much!!.
Old 03-04-2014, 01:20 AM   #9
galaga
Just call me Slappy.

Trading: (3)
galaga has a spectacular aura aboutgalaga has a spectacular aura about

Subscribed to Tonx for about 8 months before canceling. My only complaint was the cost. Great beans. Heavenly. They were so fresh that I found them best after a week sitting in their own bag. Then stored them in a closed container left in the dark at room temperature. I cold tell that they were still out-gassing. They were best from a week after left at room temp until two to three weeks after that. Wouldn't freeze them though. I found best was one full scoop to one cup, a greater amount of beans than I used with store bought because the Tonx beans were usually a lighter roast than the store bought. Now I am buying fresh locally roasted as most have suggested.
Old 03-04-2014, 09:22 AM   #10
goatfarmer
Still Watching My Back

Yes, the $19 for the 6 oz of coffee beans, which includes the cost of shipping, every 2 weeks seems a bit much. Definitely found the sample fresh and were it not for the cost I would subscribe, having it delivered to the door certainly is convenient. Usually make a trip to Santa Cruz 1-2 times a month shopping for specific items and would not be that much out of the way to add the local roasters to the shopping list. Usually never freeze my beans but last couple of purchases made the mistake of buying beans in large packages and have not been able to keep the bean remotely fresh for more than a couple weeks once the package was opened, although a poor fix seemed to me freezing and quick zap has a better flavor than the stale beans?? If local roasters strike my fancy just a matter of purchasing enough to get me thru to the next trip. Thank you to all, appreciate comments and suggestions!!