Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #21
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cover Letter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volt View Post
We hire people for jobs in the 18K to 30K range for various positions. They take a total of 6 different tests/questionnaires prior to even getting a sit down with a human.
Thank the Lord I am consultant/contractor, as I would have no desire to go through such hoops for a job. I guess if you are starting out, the ball is the employer's court and candidates mean nothing.

Sounds so demeaning to go through so many steps and get 18K salary. That's $9.00 an hour. Doesn't Papa John's pay that? No offense to your establishment, just talking in general.
Old 03-18-2010, 09:52 AM   #22
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

One thing beyond the cover letter is working on your professional networking. Make sure you're on Linkedin or the like and that recommendations and references are in place.

I won't even meet with a recruiter unless they have a specific opportunity with an potential interview with client scheduled. The recruiter can read my resume, look at me on Linkedin, see my picture on line, and I will supply them with references. I don't have time to go visit every agency that calls me because they need to see me in person before they'll submitt me or does not have a specific requirement they are working on. There are plenty of agencies that know who I am already and everything should speak for its self.
Old 03-18-2010, 11:24 AM   #23
Volt
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (19)
ERdM Navy (Retired)
Volt has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Thank the Lord I am consultant/contractor, as I would have no desire to go through such hoops for a job. I guess if you are starting out, the ball is the employer's court and candidates mean nothing.

Sounds so demeaning to go through so many steps and get 18K salary. That's $9.00 an hour. Doesn't Papa John's pay that? No offense to your establishment, just talking in general.

Sorry, we are a contractor to the public school systems. We can only pay what the school systems can afford to pay. Our people are paid what ever the school system would pay a teachers aid. We are also in very rual areas, which means some of this pay is top dollar for their area. You would be suprised at the resumes we get even for the 18K - 22K jobs right now. Peeps are looking for work.

As to the tests/questionaires..... Personality, math skills, situational ethics, Wonderlic test, etc. All required to weed out those that will not be able to perform or are unsuited to be around children. We actaully do less testing than many other companies I know of....
Old 03-18-2010, 11:35 AM   #24
floydpink
crazy diamond

First Name: Pete
Trading: (17)
Cohiba
floydpink has disabled reputation

Hate to say it, but your cover letter and resume can be spotless, but if you look like a schmuck, you ain't getting in if the job involves face to face sales in a lot of cases.

Now, what a schmuck looks like is purely interptreted by the individual job interviewed for.

What I'm trying to say, is a Goodwill suit and a teardrop tattoo under your eye won't work well in a Fortune 500 company, but might get you "hang around" status with the Warlocks.

Not fair? Probably not.

Last edited by floydpink; 03-18-2010 at 11:41 AM.
floydpink is offline   Reply With Quote