Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 07-04-2018, 12:24 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Aging Room Solera Sungrown Fantastico

Aging Room is part of the portfolio of Boutique Blends, a company founded by Rafael Nodal. Well, not exactly, Boutique Blends is the new name of the old Habana Cuba Cigar Company, founded in 1996 during the cigar boom and famous for the (then flavored) Oliveros brand. Nodal, who had been selling the cigars in Miami through the internet decided to buy the company in 2002, and over the years released new cigars like Swag, Aging Room and King Habano decided to rename the company and steer away from flavored cigars in 2012, thats when the name Boutique Blends was born.

Aging Room is the biggest seller of the company, famous for the small batches but the solera cigars, made with the same solera method as used for liquor, is a regular production cigar that comes in four blends, a shade, a maduro, a sun grown and a corojo. I’m smoking the sun grown version. The cigar is a Dominican puro, with Dominican Habano as both filler and binder with a Dominican sun grown wrapper. I’m smoking the Fantastico, a 5 1/6×54 very blunt torpedo.

The wrapper, as far as I can see it, is quite dark, it has some oil but I can’t see much of it because the secondary ring is huge, add that to an average primary ring and two thirds of the cigar is covered. The rings look nice though, yellow with black letters, simple yet tasteful with the golden details. I like the unusual shape, its not really a torpedo because the head it too blunt, yet its not a parejo either because the head isn’t straight. The aroma is faint and floral.

I punched the cigar, the cold draw is good. The flavors I get in the cold draw is are sweet yet with a little lemon. After lighting it’s straight up coffee, a nice tasting coffee with a hint of pepper. After an inch I taste more lemon, some herbs and a little coffee. I get a bit of a bubbling sensation, like I’m drinking a carbonated soda. After a third I taste a stronger pepper with lemon but that carbonated sensation is gone. There’s also a herbal flavor, green herbs. The final third starts very peppery with a little vanilla.

The draw is great. The ash is dense, white and firm. The smoke could be thicker though. The burn is good. I would call this cigar medium full bodied and also medium full flavored with a decent balance. The smoke time is and hour and forty five minutes.

Would I buy this cigar again? Maybe a single once in a while

Score: 89

https://cigarguideorg.wordpress.com/...grown-robusto/