Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 08-21-2011, 04:01 PM   #1
iamsolitary
Still Watching My Back

First Name: John
Trading: (1)
iamsolitary is on a distinguished road
Default Cigars for tailgating

With the approach of football season I am curious what cigars people smoke for tailgating.

Personally I'm a college football fan and my team (Iowa Hawkeyes) tends to play at 11am (local time). This is my first season as a cigar smoker and I hope to have a few good morning cigars for tailgating. I had a Maroma Dulce Robusto Natural this morning and it was an enjoyable mild cigar. My main issue with it was it seemed to shed tobacco in my mouth quite a bit.

So.... basically I'm looking for some good cigars for smoking in the morning, alongside some (probably pretty lousy) beer, that are not too expensive because I'll probably be handing a bunch out.

Any thoughts?
iamsolitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:07 PM   #2
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: Cigars for tailgating

Taboo Twists, Baccarats, Onyxs, and any tins of small smokes(ie. padron corticos). Tins are the best choice IMO since you can just pre cut all the cigars before you leave and stick them all back in the tin, where they'll at least be somewhat protected from any drunken shenanigans occuring. I only smoked at one morning tailgate last season, but I had a Taboo Twist on an empty stomach while helping set up, good smoke and won't hit you at all. I then proceeded to have two Punches right after we got some eggs and ham cookin.
DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 04:19 PM   #3
Coach Deg
C O W eieio.

First Name: Mike
Trading: (59)
Bolivar
Coach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of lightCoach Deg is a glorious beacon of light

I usually smoke what what I like. AF 858, VSG, or whatever is in the travel Humi that I'm in the mood for. I also keep some inexpensive sticks in the travel for when the non-smokers want one.

About the tobbacco in mouth try a punch instead of a cutter.
Coach Deg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

The Maroma's are a mixed filler cigar, quite often you will get bits of tobacco with both short or mixed filler(the tobacco is smaller pieces rather than full leaves) Smoke whatever you like, there are ton's of affordable bundle smokes which are good for tailgating. You wont feel bad if you hand one to a novice smoker and they "forget" it on the table after one or two puffs.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:28 PM   #5
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobarian View Post
The Maroma's are a mixed filler cigar, quite often you will get bits of tobacco with both short or mixed filler(the tobacco is smaller pieces rather than full leaves) Smoke whatever you like, there are ton's of affordable bundle smokes which are good for tailgating. You wont feel bad if you hand one to a novice smoker and they "forget" it on the table after one or two puffs.
That and a good bundle smoke is good simply because tailgating usually involves drinking so you don't want to smoke your A product when you half in the bag. The Flor De Oliva Maduros usually make a good tailgating or fishing smoke.
Old 08-21-2011, 06:42 PM   #6
thechrisdotcom

Trading: (2)
thechrisdotcom has disabled reputation

I don't take any cigars with me for tailgating. Too busy drinking and eating food.
thechrisdotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 06:51 PM   #7
GTsetGO
those were the droids

First Name: Rob
Trading: (5)
Montecristo
GTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura aboutGTsetGO has a spectacular aura about

i don't buy anything special for my tailgating. i just go with what i would smoke on a regular day.
Old 08-21-2011, 07:09 PM   #8
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Iowa fan, eh? Ready for my Huskers to whoop your hawkeye asses? I smoke all my faves.
Old 08-21-2011, 08:59 PM   #9
iamsolitary
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (1)
iamsolitary is on a distinguished road

I'm ready for a pretty lousy season. sigh
iamsolitary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:17 PM   #10
CueTheMusic
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeremy
CueTheMusic is on a distinguished road

Ahh, a topic close to my heart. Tailgating season is the best time of the year. I usually bring something really nice to the first tailgate, just to celebrate. But generally, I don't change what I bring just because it is early morning. I'm usually up and ready to go, so stronger cigars are ok. For regular games, I sometimes like something smaller to start out with, like a Fuente Short Story, or something like it. Then get some food eaten and move on to something larger. I usually bring some cheaper cigars for the other guys that ask me for one. I usually ask them what they want, and they are welcome to my more expensive stuff, but oddly they usually want something that didn't cost as much.

I usually consistently have padrons, tatuajes, padillas, etc. Then for the cheaper cigars I usually bring some little havana overruns, tatuaje white labels. Smoke what you like, you'll get more enjoyment that way. Just make sure to have some food and a pop or gatorade (in addition to the beer) so you are ready if the nicotine hits you.
CueTheMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2011, 09:31 PM   #11
Kneo
The Second One

First Name: Anthony
Trading: (3)
Kneo will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by iamsolitary View Post
With the approach of football season I am curious what cigars people smoke for tailgating.

Personally I'm a college football fan and my team (Iowa Hawkeyes) tends to play at 11am (local time). This is my first season as a cigar smoker and I hope to have a few good morning cigars for tailgating. I had a Maroma Dulce Robusto Natural this morning and it was an enjoyable mild cigar. My main issue with it was it seemed to shed tobacco in my mouth quite a bit.

So.... basically I'm looking for some good cigars for smoking in the morning, alongside some (probably pretty lousy) beer, that are not too expensive because I'll probably be handing a bunch out.

Any thoughts?

Go Hawks!
Old 08-21-2011, 10:10 PM   #12
TBone
Equal opportunity Bomber

First Name: Paul
Trading: (25)
ERdM AirForce (Disabled Vet)
TBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the roughTBone is a jewel in the rough

Smoke what you like, you'll get more enjoyment that way. Just make sure to have some food and a pop or gatorade (in addition to the beer) so you are ready if the nicotine hits you.[/quote]

I love the RP Edge and I always have chocolate with me. If you should get a Nic headache suck on a piece of chocolate and it'll work on taking it away in about 10 mins. Otherwise like everyone else said smoke what you like.
TBone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 AM   #13
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

I always take special sticks or something that is really calling at me. I only smoke one while tailgating and since you only get the opportunity 5-6 times a year(I may only do it 2-3 times), I try to make the most of it.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:46 AM   #14
CigarSquid
AKA Garryyjr

First Name: Garry
Trading: (39)
CigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura aboutCigarSquid has a spectacular aura about

I pick something in the humi I've been wanting. Kinda a special occasion I think since it's not an everyday thing.
CigarSquid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #15
WittyUserName
WOOOHOOO

First Name: Adam
Trading: (15)
WittyUserName has a spectacular aura aboutWittyUserName has a spectacular aura about

Being a recent college grad and spending many a weekend getting drunk off my a$$ at sporting event tailgates I would not recommend a "special" cigar. This is going to be almost a weekly event for you and if memory serves me people tend to drink a ton. The last thing I would want to do is bring that special cigar that has been aging for just the right amount of time only to not remember it the next day.

Just my
WittyUserName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 10:34 AM   #16
DaBear
Have My Own Room

First Name: Bear
Trading: (26)
HdM
DaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the roughDaBear is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by WittyUserName View Post
Being a recent college grad and spending many a weekend getting drunk off my a$$ at sporting event tailgates I would not recommend a "special" cigar. This is going to be almost a weekly event for you and if memory serves me people tend to drink a ton. The last thing I would want to do is bring that special cigar that has been aging for just the right amount of time only to not remember it the next day.

Just my
Yea, theres a difference in tailgates really depending on your age. For anyone still around college aged(including relatively recent grads), just smoking a cheapie is probably best as you're more likely to not remember it the next day, nor will you care as much, its more of a smoking just to smoke, not to enjoy thing. The "older" crowd tends to have much more tame tailgates where a nice cigar may be appropriate. It all really comes down to what you enjoy and what you're in the mood for. I personally stick to milder cheaper stuff for tailgates. I'll save the nice stuff for the post game victory smoke

DaBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 07:26 PM   #17
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about

I have a pretty big tailgate every saturday so I tend to mix it up. If I had to pick one I go to a lot it would be the Tat havana VI Gordito. Good flavor, big size.