Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Accessory Discussion / Reviews

Old 08-11-2011, 01:57 AM   #1
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

First Name: J.T.
Trading: (40)
Cohiba
Angry_Pirate is on a distinguished road
Default Computer case fan in humidor help

Does anyone know of a way to power a fan from a computer case inside the humidor to keep the temp down? I have an extra 450 watt psu from my old computer I could power the fan with but that is kind of overkill. I know I cant wire it to a wall outlet because it will burn it up. (I'm no electrician) My humidor is not huge so I cant fit a big fan inside and i really don't want to drill a hole in my humidor to run a cord in. Any help would be great!! Thanks!!!
Angry_Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:19 AM   #2
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Computer case fan in humidor help

First - because you won't have a transfer of air from inside to outside of the humidor you won't be lowering the temp. Fans inside of humidors are used for circulation.

Second - you know those wall transformers that you have laying around from old telephones, chargers, etc. Use one of those. Your computer fan will either run on 5 or 12 volts. Just find a transformer with roughly the correct output and there ya go.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2011, 05:20 AM   #3
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

I suppose you could drill a tiny hole in the humidor and glue it afterwords....powering the fan I use a radio shack plug in deal (normal 3 plug wall outlet with selectable voltage) on my CPU fanned router

You would have to check the volts it takes to power whatever fan you would use, which isn't hard. I'd get an interchangable power source though.

Looks like it is taking 12V to power my CPU fan, it's a beast though

For the record I never did this to a humidor, but I did power a CPU fan and mount it on my router.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
CueTheMusic
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Jeremy
Trading: (2)
CueTheMusic is on a distinguished road

I have one of these and it works great: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812123309

I use it with some cpu fans for creating exhaust airflow in my entertainment center though.
CueTheMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 09:37 AM   #5
audio1der

If you can find a variable voltage regulator, you can adjust the speed of the fan by varying the input voltage. Then, you can add a digital timer before the voltage regulator and have it come on for a few minutes at preset times!
Old 08-12-2011, 09:44 AM   #6
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
First - because you won't have a transfer of air from inside to outside of the humidor you won't be lowering the temp. Fans inside of humidors are used for circulation....

Ron
This is absolutely correct. Further, if you put the transformer inside the humidor you will be adding a heater which will just make things worse.

I'm a believer in circulation but you should take care of the heat problem first. What kind of temps are you seeing?

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #7
DBall
Cigar Jesus

First Name: Dan
Trading: (46)
RyJ
DBall has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by audio1der View Post
If you can find a variable voltage regulator, you can adjust the speed of the fan by varying the input voltage. Then, you can add a digital timer before the voltage regulator and have it come on for a few minutes at preset times!
I need to figure out how to do this... I have three fans in my tower that I can't turn on because they are just too damned powerful.
Old 08-12-2011, 10:29 AM   #8
Bill86
Snob

First Name: Bill
Trading: (67)
Cohiba
Bill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to allBill86 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBall View Post
I need to figure out how to do this... I have three fans in my tower that I can't turn on because they are just too damned powerful.
I believe you are looking to do something like this...... (different application though )

I apologize for the somewhat crude Iphone4 pictures.

We burn up a lot of routers, so here you have it, a super cooled router. I took an old CPU fan and a desktop humidor tray (don't worry the desktop is broken) and used it to mount a router.

The router is powered by a Radioshack 3V-12V. A couple wire splices and some hot glue to insure it stays...bingo job done, sure it ain't pretty but it works.

The Radio shack 3V-12V (it took all 12 Volts )
Old 08-12-2011, 10:37 AM   #9
markem
Bunion

First Name: Mark
Trading: (47)
HUpmann
markem has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBall View Post
Make sure that the fans are able to run at variable speeds, first. Bill pointed out the radio shack option, which is pretty good, IMO. If you can find an electronics supply place near you, go in with the fans and explain what you want to do. They should have everything that you need.

A quick google says that these folks may be worth a call, Dan:
http://www.cedbaldwinhall.com/
6552 Ridings Road
Syracuse, NY 13206-1213
(315) 463-9251
Old 08-12-2011, 10:40 AM   #10
J0eybb
Feeling up at Home

First Name: Joe
Trading: (5)
J0eybb will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CueTheMusic View Post
I have one of these and it works great: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16812123309

I use it with some cpu fans for creating exhaust airflow in my entertainment center though.
This is the easiest solution.
J0eybb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 10:54 AM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Dan, there are tons of fans with three speed trimpots on them that you can just crank down and ease the airflow. Antec makes a bunch of three speed deals that I use.

OP, I think your wording about temps threw me off, but I think you just want the transformer outside to keep the heat down? I'm guessing that because the fans themselves will generate heat if they're on all the time. Minimal if you put them on a timer to stir a bit.
I made a box that controls all the lights and fans in my display humidor. It's powered by a psu, it works great.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:13 PM   #12
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by CigarNut View Post
This is absolutely correct. Further, if you put the transformer inside the humidor you will be adding a heater which will just make things worse.

I'm a believer in circulation but you should take care of the heat problem first. What kind of temps are you seeing?
74-75 degrees and I moved from a shelf to on the floor in front of an ac vent with no temp change. I thought this might cool it down since heat rises but it didn't work.
Old 08-12-2011, 05:35 PM   #13
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angry_Pirate View Post
74-75 degrees and I moved from a shelf to on the floor in front of an ac vent with no temp change. I thought this might cool it down since heat rises but it didn't work.

For how long has it been in front of the vent? It's going to take awhile - days.

Suggest something along the lines of those plastic ice packs, dry-ice, etc. Have a basement or furnace (central A/C )room? Try moving it to one of those areas.

Ron
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 05:55 PM   #14
Angry_Pirate
Traveler

Cohiba

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGD. View Post
For how long has it been in front of the vent? It's going to take awhile - days.

Suggest something along the lines of those plastic ice packs, dry-ice, etc. Have a basement or furnace (central A/C )room? Try moving it to one of those areas.

Ron
It's been in front of the vent for about 2 weeks now..I have central air. Good idea about the ice packs I may try them. I have a basement but don't really want to move it down there. Thanks for the help!
Old 08-12-2011, 06:12 PM   #15
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation

Be careful with icepacks as they can produce condensation. If your cigars are smoking OK then 74-75 degrees is not that bad...

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2011, 06:20 PM   #16
Barcode
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Tom
Trading: (16)
RyJ Navy (Served With Honor)
Barcode will become famous soon enough

I just use an Oust Fan in mine.

Barcode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 02:19 PM   #17
Jasonw560
PhD from Sarcastic State

First Name: Jason
Trading: (0)
Jasonw560 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barcode View Post
I just use an Oust Fan in mine.

Yeah, but they quit making Oust fans a couple of years ago.