Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 03-13-2010, 11:18 AM   #21
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation
Default Re: Opened for inspection?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorhog View Post
Do you have a platinum membership? See post 7
http://www.cigarbid.com/auction/foru...=0000000332374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trouble View Post
The Padrons were a while ago so no pics. Here is the Tat box from today...
I do not have a platinum membership. I think that was a joke...
Only one out of 2 boxes in the same package was opened.
The "Platinum Membership" is a cbid forum joke, although it's caused quite a bit of trouble for customer service department at Cbid with people who blow through the forum, see a post about it, don't realize it's a joke, call customer service asking for an upgrade and then don't believe C/S when they say no such membership exists. So much aggravation that finally after probably about 9 months of asking people nicely to knock off the joke, C/S has made it clear that they are going to start revoking posting privileges for people who continue the platinum membership joke.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 11:21 AM   #22
neoflex
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: John
Trading: (32)
RA
neoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really niceneoflex is just really nice

After thinking about this and I know they have done it in the past with humidors so I am thinking maybe it's the same deal but I wonder if they shipped them to someone, and there were damaged sticks in the box so they exchanged them and than they sent the same box out again but just marked it as opened for inspection hoping the person who got them a second time would not complain. Sounds shady but I know for a fact that they have done it with humidors in the past because a buddy of mine won a humidor from them and it came damaged so he returned it and he wrote on the box "Damaged." They sent him another which was also damaged, so again he called and they agreed to exchange it for another and low and behold the third one that came was the same one he got the first time because it had damaged in Sharpie matching what he put on the first one. With that he said F-it and returned it for a refund, and this to was through C-Bid.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:23 AM   #23
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain53 View Post
Sounds like the Postal Inspectors to me.
Cbid ships either UPS (who does not open packages for inspection) or USPS Priority. USPS Domestic Priority mail is sealed against inspection without a federal search warrant or consent form.
Old 03-13-2010, 11:29 AM   #24
Trouble

Just got this reply from Cbid

"Thank you for your email! I’m sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you! We do inspect the boxes to make sure there isn’t any damage to the cigars in general. However, when they are inspected we do have to manually open the box which may cause the cigars to shift while in transit causing damage to the cigars."

They apparently open the box to inspect for damage knowing it can lead to the cigars shifting and getting damaged???

Sounds counter productive no?
Old 03-13-2010, 11:45 AM   #25
AD720
I'm nuts for the place

First Name: Andrew
Trading: (73)
Partagas
AD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the roughAD720 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Just got this reply from Cbid

"Thank you for your email! I’m sorry for any inconvenience this has caused you! We do inspect the boxes to make sure there isn’t any damage to the cigars in general. However, when they are inspected we do have to manually open the box which may cause the cigars to shift while in transit causing damage to the cigars."

They apparently open the box to inspect for damage knowing it can lead to the cigars shifting and getting damaged???

Sounds counter productive no?
Sounds like . They are in damage control mode.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:05 PM   #26
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

To me it sounds like either a cut-and-paste answer or they didn't fully understand your original communication.

I would just call them on Monday. They tend to be very good about making things right.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:19 PM   #27
Trouble

They are willing to exchange the box but it is not fair that I need to keep repackaging boxes and resending them and waiting for a new box because they are trying to sell damaged cigars.

There are a lot of cigar retailers out there that will shipped undamaged cigars as a consumer would expect.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:38 PM   #28
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

I've been buying cigars for a long time and I've found that eventually all vendors make mistakes and problems can arise at times. **** always happens, it's how a company chooses to react that distinguishes them. In this case, what separates the good from the bad is their willingness to replace/refund and provide and ARS label without argument.

I really don't think that the problem is CI/Cbid as a whole either, just a few individuals that might not grasp the bigger picture.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:55 PM   #29
Nimbus

First Name: J
Trading: (7)
Partagas
Nimbus has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bax View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if they were refilling the box with singles from other damaged boxes.
I thought this was only an Habanos issue, but apparently NC vendors are doing the same thing.
Nimbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 01:11 PM   #30
Trouble

Again a mistake is one thing. Opening a box to switch good cigars with bad is another...
Old 03-13-2010, 01:22 PM   #31
okieRob
Still Watching My Back

First Name: I'm not telling
Trading: (6)
okieRob is on a distinguished road

Here is my guess - they were opening boxes to switch good cigars for bad and accidentally shipped you the box they were collecting the bad cigars in. I'm betting their intentions were pure and you just got the wrong end of it by mistake.

I once had a vendor ship me the wrong order.....twice. They eventually made it right but it was a pain in the buttox.

You aren't making me feel very good about the box I have on the way from them
okieRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 02:29 PM   #32
T.G
Grrrrrr

Navy (Served With Honor)

Quote:
Again a mistake is one thing. Opening a box to switch good cigars with bad is another...
I think I figured out why Carlos isn't getting plugged CCs anymore though, the guy who was pulling and shipping them now works for CI and it appears that he has a crush on you.

*shrug* We don't know if that's what happened or not. You're making an assumption.
Old 03-13-2010, 04:29 PM   #33
jaymz
God of Preservation

Trading: (17)
Cohiba
jaymz will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
The "Platinum Membership" is a cbid forum joke, although it's caused quite a bit of trouble for customer service department at Cbid with people who blow through the forum, see a post about it, don't realize it's a joke, call customer service asking for an upgrade and then don't believe C/S when they say no such membership exists. So much aggravation that finally after probably about 9 months of asking people nicely to knock off the joke, C/S has made it clear that they are going to start revoking posting privileges for people who continue the platinum membership joke.
sounds like a moneymaking opportunity to me. i would immediately start offering a platinum membership subscription!
jaymz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 05:27 PM   #34
Trouble

*shrug* We don't know if that's what happened or not. You're making an assumption.[/quote]

You are right but my assumption is based on my experiences with them. The first time there were 4 very damaged padrons out of a fiver sample. Stevie Wonder could have picked them out if he opened the box for inspection. I thought it was wierd but chalked it up to a mistake.

Now I get a second box that was 'opened for inspection' and again it is a collection of damaged cigars. Something is wrong here....
Old 03-14-2010, 05:47 PM   #35
Ferrari5180
Adjusting to the Life

Trading: (0)
Ferrari5180 is on a distinguished road

It looks like they tried to slip one by you, in hopes that you would not complain. Whether or not they are free or a million dollar a box, the quality should remain the same. It is not your fault that you got a good deal. Let us know what happens when you get your new sticks.
Ferrari5180 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 05:58 PM   #36
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

This thread leaves a bad taste in my mouth ( I know it's not the cigar I'm smoking...it's a Tat). CI's prices aren't the best, but the deals on CBID can be great. I just hope I don't encounter the "Opened for inspection" sticker.
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:00 PM   #37
Razorhog
Feeling at Home

First Name: Beau
Trading: (4)
Razorhog is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
Wow, had no idea about that. Just did a google search on the inspection stickers and found that.
Razorhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 06:19 PM   #38
NeuRon
Formerly BigRonS

First Name: Ron
Trading: (22)
NeuRon will become famous soon enoughNeuRon will become famous soon enough

always inspect.. its a long ride over; who knows what can happen, or what your putting in your humi..
NeuRon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #39
Trouble

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferrari5180 View Post
It looks like they tried to slip one by you, in hopes that you would not complain. Whether or not they are free or a million dollar a box, the quality should remain the same. It is not your fault that you got a good deal. Let us know what happens when you get your new sticks.
Exactly. I only smoke one cigar a day and look forward to it. I do not want to smoke a stick with a big crack in it or a big stem hanging out of it no matter how cheap it is.

Most of all I feel it is dishonest. All the sealed boxes are fine and the ones they open are full of damaged cigars. I cannot give them my business now as a matter of principal.