Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Cigar Discussion > All Cigar Discussion

Old 10-22-2011, 12:02 PM   #1
irratebass
EMPEROR TOMPKINS

First Name: Mickey
Trading: (48)
ERdM
irratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to beholdirratebass is a splendid one to behold
Default For those of you with 300 or more sticks

How do you decide which one to smoke? Do you close your eyes and stick your hand in the humi and whichever one you grab that's the one or do you have a list?

Being new I don't have a routine yet, I have a notebook that I write down all the smokes that were gifted me to me, because frankly I haven't been able to purchase any for myself except for an 8 sampler & a 20 ct bag of Trader Jacks, now I have purchased a few singles here and there from B&M's, but I usually smoke them pretty quickly.

So, I'm just curious how you all pick your smoke or smokes for the day.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:05 PM   #2
EricF
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Eric
Trading: (116)
RA
EricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to beholdEricF is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: For those of you with 300 or more sticks

Very simply, open humi and whatever catches my eye! With me it's usually a Tat, but today a Cubao Maddy caught my eye and I am really enjoying it as I type this.

No rhyme or reason!
Old 10-22-2011, 12:08 PM   #3
MurphysLaw
Anything can go wrong

First Name: Brian
Trading: (19)
Partagas
MurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really niceMurphysLaw is just really nice

sometimes I think of something that's tucked away in my vino and I'll dig it out and go with that
MurphysLaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:17 PM   #4
Smokin Gator
Just plain insane!

Trading: (106)
Partagas
Smokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to beholdSmokin Gator is a splendid one to behold

I usually open the humi and stare until something catches my eye. Sometime though I know what I am looking for when I open it. No real rhyme or reason with my smoking behavior.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:19 PM   #5
kelmac07
Resident Maduro Whore!!

First Name: Mac
Trading: (218)
Bolivar Army (Retired)
kelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond reputekelmac07 has a reputation beyond repute

I am with the majority here...open the vinos up and see what catches my eye. Or I get a "hankering" for a certain flavor (ie, something spicy, cocoa, etc) and I grab a few sticks with that profile.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:20 PM   #6
sevans105
Alpha Zombie Wolf "Sceve"

First Name: Scott
Trading: (30)
Cohiba
sevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the roughsevans105 is a jewel in the rough

Similar. Although some days I have a certain flavor I'm going for...for example if I just had a big beefy dinner, I might go for a padron or a Tat. morning coffee, afternoon possibly an easy 5 vegas or montecristo
Old 10-22-2011, 12:22 PM   #7
darkninja67

Usually go to the boxes of my go to smokes, mostly Tats right now.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:36 PM   #8
Remo
C.I.A

First Name: Mike
Trading: (122)
Partagas
Remo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant futureRemo has a brilliant future

No rhyme or reason, open, look and wait til something jumps out, or read reviews here and go look to see if I have any and fire one up
Old 10-22-2011, 12:45 PM   #9
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
I usually open the humi and stare until something catches my eye. Sometime though I know what I am looking for when I open it. No real rhyme or reason with my smoking behavior.
Me, Too.
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 12:49 PM   #10
gator_79
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Robin
Trading: (3)
Navy (Deployed)
gator_79 is on a distinguished road

I agree with what has already been said. Sometimes I'm in the mood for a specific flavor profile or strength, others I just grab whatever jumps out at me. Sometimes it's a hard decision so I take out 2 or 3.
gator_79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:05 PM   #11
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

Well, I sure as heck don't have close to 300, but I do close my eyes, open the drawer and just grab one. I don't even look at it until I get to my smoking chair. Always a pleasant surprise.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:06 PM   #12
bobarian
Cranky Habanophile

Trading: (51)
ERdM
bobarian has disabled reputation

Very seldom are my picks random. Depending on mood and time or length of smoke. Kind of like deciding what you are going to make for dinner. Do I want something spicy or creamy? Something that will slam my senses or do I just want to kick back and savor the smoke without thinking. Do I want a smoke that is full body and will sit on my palate for a long time or maybe I'm on the first of a few smokes and want something that will clear the palate quickly so I can move on. I dont think of all these variables each time, but usually at least one is up for consideration and I try to pick a cigar that fits the situation.
bobarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:20 PM   #13
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

I typically go to the humi with something already in mind. Maybe it's because of a review I read and I go "OH, I've got one of those tucked away in there." Or maybe I just feel a desire to have a certain type of smoke.

I find more and more lately, that I've been choosing cigars based on their length according to how long I may be at a particular smoking venue. For example, if I'm going to grab a smoke to take down to Dockside (my fav local bar) I know I can get away with a churchill or something large like that. If I'm going to have a smoke on the way to work, I know I need something smaller than a toro.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:21 PM   #14
ninjavanish
Feeling at Home

Trading: (16)
Bolivar
ninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the roughninjavanish is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
Well, I sure as heck don't have close to 300,
We can fix this.
ninjavanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:37 PM   #15
GolfNut
Back in the woodshop!

First Name: Forrest
Trading: (38)
Partagas
GolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura aboutGolfNut has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjavanish View Post
We can fix this.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #16
G G
BR549

First Name: Greg
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
G G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant futureG G has a brilliant future

I just pick something that catches my eye too.
G G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:50 PM   #17
cobra03
Adult Babysitter

First Name: Scott
Trading: (15)
Partagas
cobra03 will become famous soon enoughcobra03 will become famous soon enough

I most often walk to the humi with a certain stick in mind and then after I open the door I change my mind at least 5 times.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:54 PM   #18
maninblack
Will smoke for food

First Name: Kevin
Trading: (80)
Partagas
maninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to beholdmaninblack is a splendid one to behold

Eenie meenie minie moe. Thats pretty much how I do it unless I'm looking for a specific stick.
Old 10-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #19
Buckeye Jack
Havana Daydreamin'

First Name: Jack
Trading: (34)
HUpmann
Buckeye Jack has a spectacular aura aboutBuckeye Jack has a spectacular aura about

I just open the freezerdor, look at the boxes on each shelf, and figure out what looks good. A lot of times I already have something in mind when I go down.

The singles I have divided into 6 wooden drawers and I try not to stack double layered too much that way I can glance at them and see what I'm in the mood for.

Not that hard Mickey. Much tougher when I had to dig boxes out of multiple coolers. With the freezerdor and everything on shelves, it makes it real easy
Buckeye Jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 01:57 PM   #20
Fordman4ever
Redneck driving a ricer!!

First Name: Earl
Trading: (26)
HUpmann AirForce (Active)
Fordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the roughFordman4ever is a jewel in the rough

I dont have 300 plus smokes but I don't have more than 3 of the same cigar so for me its rummage through what I have and whatever catches my eye is what I smoke.
Fordman4ever is offline   Reply With Quote