Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 03-26-2015, 10:20 PM   #1
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about
Default cable TV

HOLY COW! I just signed up for cable TV (been getting my channels for free over the air through the antenna), and WOW. Able to pause, rewind, and save shows. SOOOOOO many channels. I don't have to stand holding the antenna in my right hand, with my left hand reaching toward the ceiling and my right foot touching the window frame just to get the game without static.

Best $35 I've ever spent.
Old 03-26-2015, 10:29 PM   #2
8zeros
What's this button do?

First Name: Roger
Trading: (0)
8zeros will become famous soon enough
Default Re: cable TV

What's "cable TV?"
The only way we git TV here is with one of them there dish thingys. Innernet sux too.
Old 03-26-2015, 11:05 PM   #3
MarkinAZ
Formerly MarkinOR

First Name: Mark
Trading: (40)
Navy (Served With Honor)
MarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to beholdMarkinAZ is a splendid one to behold

Technology has sure come along way hasn't it Matt?

I really miss the Star Spangle Banner at midnight, followed shortly by the test signal pattern myself...
Old 03-26-2015, 11:37 PM   #4
mhailey
Splitter of Hairs

First Name: Matt
Trading: (21)
mhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura aboutmhailey has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkinCA View Post
Technology has sure come along way hasn't it Matt?

I really miss the Star Spangle Banner at midnight, followed shortly by the test signal pattern myself...
Apparently technology has advanced beyond me. When I started asking my parents about what new shows were available, and my elementary school grade daughters were getting ridiculed at school because they were quoting Archie Bunker, I figured it was time to break down and pay for cable.
Old 03-27-2015, 08:25 AM   #5
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Cable? TV? Of what speak thee?
Old 03-27-2015, 09:05 AM   #6
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

The sad thing is maybe 3 of the channels are worth watching........
Old 03-27-2015, 10:07 AM   #7
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

8,000,000 channels and nothing on.

Actually I had cut the cord a few months back, when moving my basic service and net to the new apt I was told I could get the U200 package, blah blah blah, for 40 bucks a month so I figured why not.

Got my U-Verse bill today, 380 bucks, called them as soon as the heart attack was over. "Well sir you are right, there should not be 199 dollar install fee, not sure why that's on your bill, let me 'see if I can' remove it for you." ....

Now maybe they can figure out why I was told I would get U200 for 40 bucks a month and my bill says 80 a month, fail all over the place. I wonder how many people just pay these bogus charges without thinking about it, or never notice because they don't check their bills each month, they just set up auto pay and forget about them.

After 10 minutes on hold the ATT rep came back and told me while they don't offer any HD service for 40 bucks a month he DID find a note on the account saying that was the price offered to me, he isn't sure why but he's going to go ahead and at my request lock me into that price (so it won't go up in 2 months or something slimy), I'm 2 for 2, I should quit while I'm ahead.

So don't just set up auto pay and assume everything is coming up roses.
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 11:33 AM   #8
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

I may go back to cable. There are shows I just can't watch easily on internet and some streamed shows can by choppy.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:11 PM   #9
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

I hum the Star Spangled Banner every night when I'm done watching tv, then I go watch the test pattern on youtube.
It makes me feel all cozy inside.
Old 03-27-2015, 12:13 PM   #10
T.G
Grrrrrr

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (37)
Navy (Served With Honor)
T.G has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by shilala View Post
I hum the Star Spangled Banner every night when I'm done watching tv, then I go watch the test pattern on youtube.
It makes me feel all cozy inside.
I hum all the time, but enough about the steel plate in my head when it gets too close to a magnetic field.
T.G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015, 12:26 PM   #11
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.G View Post
I hum all the time, but enough about the steel plate in my head when it gets too close to a magnetic field.
My wireless headphones shut off in front of the microwave. Just sayin.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:13 PM   #12
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
I may go back to cable. There are shows I just can't watch easily on internet and some streamed shows can by choppy.
True dat. But I've found that Hulu streams quite well, and even without paying for Plus offers a huge free catalog.
Old 03-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #13
mosesbotbol
That's a Corgi

First Name: Moses
Trading: (6)
Punch
mosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the roughmosesbotbol is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Poet View Post
True dat. But I've found that Hulu streams quite well, and even without paying for Plus offers a huge free catalog.
We have Hulu and for every program they have, there's one they don't. I use my parents' cable company login along with "unsupported" streams in Plex.

There's something to be said about cable. How does one watch F1 or TdF for free???
Old 03-27-2015, 01:47 PM   #14
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
How does one watch F1 or TdF for free???
I dunno. I'm still struggling with WHY one would watch F1 or the Tour, free or otherwise.

Now the Giro or the Vuelta, those are fun, with nearly as many wrecks as NASCAR.
Old 03-27-2015, 09:28 PM   #15
rr_coyote
Still Watching My Back

First Name: Kyle
Trading: (1)
rr_coyote is on a distinguished road

We got DirecTV here after pretty much only watching Netflix and having a few basic channels for football. Holy crap, I forgot what it's like to watch TV shows I enjoy!
rr_coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2015, 02:34 AM   #16
shark
Cigar Smokin' Patriot

First Name: Ron
Trading: (0)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
shark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of lightshark is a glorious beacon of light

Any of the old timers remember when there were independent TV stations?There were a few in the Detroit area while I was a kid: WKBD channel 50, and WGPR channel 62. Channel 50 was where the cartoons were shown, and every morning before school I'd tune in. Sometimes when I was up early enough I would see the national anthem being played as they were signing in for the day, then some bald guy in a suit (probably the station manager or owner) would come on talking about their station, how it does good for the community, blah blah blah. Us kids would laugh because I swear to God, this guy's head was really weird shaped. It was like the top of his skull almost came to a sort of a point.
Old 03-28-2015, 02:46 AM   #17
Subvet642
Bilge Rat

First Name: Darren
Trading: (13)
LFdC Navy (Served With Honor)
Subvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to allSubvet642 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shark View Post
Any of the old timers remember when there were independent TV stations?There were a few in the Detroit area while I was a kid: WKBD channel 50, and WGPR channel 62. Channel 50 was where the cartoons were shown, and every morning before school I'd tune in. Sometimes when I was up early enough I would see the national anthem being played as they were signing in for the day, then some bald guy in a suit (probably the station manager or owner) would come on talking about their station, how it does good for the community, blah blah blah. Us kids would laugh because I swear to God, this guy's head was really weird shaped. It was like the top of his skull almost came to a sort of a point.
We had a few here in Boston; WLVI, WSBK, and I forget the call letters of the last one. I miss Saturday morning Bugs Bunny cartoons.