Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > Health and Fitness

Old 07-08-2011, 08:22 AM   #2021
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation
Default Re: Losing Weight with Starscream

down 4 this week. I'm at my lowest weight since 2005 when I was 313.5. Hopefully by next week I'll be below that, and I've only really been keeping track since 2005, so God only knows what kinda record I'll set when I get below that. Below 300 will be a fantastic thing, right now goal is 250- might just make it by next annual physical in April. But, getting ahead of myself. Happy to be going onwards and downwards!
Old 07-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #2022
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Congratulations, Hugh!!!
Old 07-08-2011, 10:33 AM   #2023
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

First Name: Andy
Trading: (4)
Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotreds View Post
down 4 this week. I'm at my lowest weight since 2005 when I was 313.5. Hopefully by next week I'll be below that, and I've only really been keeping track since 2005, so God only knows what kinda record I'll set when I get below that. Below 300 will be a fantastic thing, right now goal is 250- might just make it by next annual physical in April. But, getting ahead of myself. Happy to be going onwards and downwards!
Good job, Hugh!

Insert quote here.
Starscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:09 PM   #2024
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas
Starscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to beholdStarscream is a splendid one to behold

I guess the drive home had some other disaster thrown upon me. I have had some serious lower back pain yesterday and today. Kinda worried about doing exercise right now. Guess I'll get in some WiiFit that is low impact.

Stretching: help or hurt right now?

Insert quote here.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:21 PM   #2025
hotreds
Ephesians 2:8

Trading: (63)
Bolivar
hotreds has disabled reputation

Sometimes rest is the best medecine. It really depends on how badly you're hurt, maybe rest up for three- five days. Don't want to aggravate an injury so you'll be down a month or more!
Old 07-08-2011, 04:43 PM   #2026
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

Quote:
Sometimes rest is the best medecine. It really depends on how badly you're hurt, maybe rest up for three- five days. Don't want to aggravate an injury so you'll be down a month or more!
I've pretty much done nothing the past two days, Hugh. It's started to subside a bit the past hour or two, but last night was hell trying to get some sleep.

I did a couple of leg lifts about two hours ago, cradling my knees in toward my chest. Pain started to subside a bit after that.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:02 PM   #2027
forgop
Not a puffer

First Name: Duane
Trading: (40)
Partagas Army (Served With Honor)
forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

I was bad today. I'm at kings island and couldn't resist the blueberry ice cream. It's a tradition for whenever I'm here. Back to induction day 1 again. LOL
forgop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 06:05 PM   #2028
forgop
Not a puffer

forgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the roughforgop is a jewel in the rough

Is it possible that it's back spasms?

I'd recommend no impact activities and light stretching to keep things from tightening up. Might try a heating pad or ice pack and see how it responds to that.
Old 07-08-2011, 06:10 PM   #2029
Kreth
Ronin smoker

First Name: Jeff
Trading: (14)
Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Congrats, Hugh!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Starscream View Post
I guess the drive home had some other disaster thrown upon me. I have had some serious lower back pain yesterday and today. Kinda worried about doing exercise right now. Guess I'll get in some WiiFit that is low impact.

Some light yoga stretches like the sun salutation or spine extension might help. Instead of doing them on the board, just watch the demo and do them at your own pace. Standing knee might help too, if you have decent balance. I forget whether that one's under yoga or strength...
Posted via Mobile Device
Kreth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:05 PM   #2030
Starscream
Knowhutimean, Vern?

Partagas

I might give 'em a try, Jeff.

Insert quote here.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:27 PM   #2031
guado
OCD cigar hoarder

Partagas
guado will become famous soon enoughguado will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've pretty much done nothing the past two days, Hugh. It's started to subside a bit the past hour or two, but last night was hell trying to get some sleep.

I did a couple of leg lifts about two hours ago, cradling my knees in toward my chest. Pain started to subside a bit after that.
Do a search online for lower back stretches. When I had my back issues I was doing ALL the wrong stretches for long term help.

I feel your pain though. After my longest run a couple days ago I have seemed to develop plantar fasciitis. I need my excersize otherwise I feel like I am gonna slide backwards....sucks. I could barely walk the last couple days. Today it is SLIGHTLY better but still killing me.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #2032
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Kreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really niceKreth is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by guado View Post
I feel your pain though. After my longest run a couple days ago I have seemed to develop plantar fasciitis. I need my excersize otherwise I feel like I am gonna slide backwards....sucks. I could barely walk the last couple days. Today it is SLIGHTLY better but still killing me.
I've read a few articles that blame modern running shoes for this and other injuries. All of the padding encourages running on the heels, which is very jarring.
Once I drop a bit more weight, I'd like to get back into running, and maybe biking. Years ago, I was running about 4 miles a day. Nothing like the feeling of finishing up a good run.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-08-2011, 11:23 PM   #2033
forgop
Not a puffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by guado View Post
Do a search online for lower back stretches. When I had my back issues I was doing ALL the wrong stretches for long term help.

Plantar fasciitis takes a long time to recover from. I battled a severe case for 3 years that I picked up walking on concrete floors of a factory all day long. I did physical therapy with stretching exercises, ultrasound, you name it. The most effective relief was a cortisone shot. I recommend seeing a GOOD doctor to do it. The first shots I had done was just some podiatrist down the road and it didn't even last 2 days. I bad a 2nd round from one of the doctors used by the colts and it worked for awhile. Pain was excruciating for the shots, but mine was so bad I was walking on the outside edges of my foot rather than my soles.

Stretching-sit on a chair and roll a tennis ball/baseball under your heel a couple of times a day for 10 minutes or so. You can do calf stretches that will also stretch the same area where you're getting pain. Fill some daisy cups with water and freeze and apply daily to reduce inflammation along with taking aleve. Avoid any activity other than walking as increased pressure will make it worse. LMK if you need any more advice.

This was a major ***** in my life and a big reason why it's necessary to diet today. I weighed 182 # and worked out a lot until I got plantar fasciitis. I laid around, felt sorry for myself, and turned to food to try to cope. I've just been on a roller coaster the past 5 years trying to take it back off.
Old 07-09-2011, 06:36 AM   #2034
Kreth
Ronin smoker

Gained a pound on my night off (rewarded myself with soda and beef jerky for cracking 250). I burned it right back off with an hour workout, so I'm down to 248.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 07-09-2011, 08:17 AM   #2035
goalie204
Have My Own Room

First Name: Myles
Trading: (12)
Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

after a week on the road im back down to my lowest, very happy about this. Interestingly on the road i ate a lot less than what i had been eating at home. Breakfast may have been bacon and eggs and for lunch id just snack on some turkey meat and cheese i kept in a portable cooler, then dinner meat and veg. I feel like i ate a lot less on the road anyway, but im not sure. INTERESTING. Started at 339 april 27th, down to 316.1 now, want to get to 300 by sept-oct
goalie204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2011, 08:53 AM   #2036
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:

Andy, if your back is in spasm, heat usally helps. If you slipped something and it's caused inflammation, then the inflammation has caused spasm, ice and nsaids like motrin (I use 4x200mg 4 x's a day) will take out the swelling.
My personal opinion from my personal experience is that if I lay down and let the problem simmer, I'll have a major problem in no time. It just snowballs and gets so tight it makes you sick to the stomach.

If it's spam, the heating pad should iron that out in a day. If it hasn't gotten markedly better, I'd suggest you make a bunch of gallon bags of crushed ice wrapped in towels, strap them suckers on, let your back get cooled off, make sure you took your motrin, and get moving around. Your support structure will get your backbone back where it was with a minimal amount of discomfort (read: it'll probably hurt like hell, but it'll hurt a lot worse if you lay around on it).

So on the stretching, not just yet. Do that other stuff first and see if you can get fixed up.
Old 07-09-2011, 10:15 AM   #2037
Chainsaw13
Møøse bites can be nasty

First Name: Bob
Trading: (96)
Bolivar
Chainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to beholdChainsaw13 is a splendid one to behold

Official weigh-in this morning. 222.4, down 2.2 from last week. Gotta quit those mid week jumps on the scale. That 221 earlier in the week had me really pumped. Still can't complain, it's going in the right direction and i'm getting some muscle definition. Who knew there was more than one muscle in the calf?
Old 07-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #2038
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar
goalie204 will become famous soon enoughgoalie204 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainsaw13 View Post
. Who knew there was more than one muscle in the calf?
not me!
Old 07-09-2011, 02:08 PM   #2039
forgop
Not a puffer

My weigh-in this morning was really disappointing. I was up 0.4 and I blame it all on the ice cream last night. .

Induction day 1 all over again.
Old 07-09-2011, 04:27 PM   #2040
goalie204
Have My Own Room

Bolivar

ice cream! you bad /drool