Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 01-04-2013, 06:01 PM   #1
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough
Default 5 on 5 review = 5 Vegas Miami / M5

5 Vegas Miami / M5 (Robusto Grande)
5.5 X55 $3.50
Wrapper: Nicaraguan Corojo
Binder: Nicaraguan
Filler: Cuban-seed Nicaraguan / Cuban-seed Dominican
Origin: Nicaragua
Body: Full

Prelight- First thing to notice is the M5’s textured gold and blue/black label. Once again, the WWF-sized belt may appear a little loud, but with the classy subtle color and design scheme makes a proud statement that I feel seems to fit the product well. A short band highlights at the foot. The dark brown wrap has a smooth feel with no blemishes. A firm cigar with a nice tight wrap.

First Third- Toasting took a moment and when lighting I suddenly noticed I was hitting the foot with flame during toasting. So I backed off, and took very light draws at first, hoping to give any burnt filler a chance to smoke off rather than drag it through the cigar. Being a thick, firm box press the draw still was surprisingly easy. After I nursed to a full glow, I purged the stick a few times. Apparently I handled it the right way, because I experienced no bad acrid taste, nor pungent burnt pepper blast. In fact I was off to a good smooth start and it tastes well. There are pepper and wood tones right away. And they will be here for the rest of the cigar.

Second Third- The wood tones I associate with oak or maple, not because of sweetness, but because the wood is rich and deep, and is merged within the earthy taste. The leather is very prominent, and also easy for a noob like me to detect with the woody base notes. The pepper is still present, and manageable. And some toasted flavor is following retrohale. As expected, the cigar is at "full medium" , and I'm waiting to see if this girl goes nuclear and buzz-twangs right out the park. The picture above is just before I stop to pull the band off.

Last Third- Off with the band and into the last third. Still fairly even burn, when it offsets, it fixes itself, and a full white puffy cloud still reporting nicely. There is pepper on the inhale and spice on the exhale. I am not sure if I am just noticing the spice now, or if came up in the second stage and I just did not notice it. My retrohales were just reporting the wood, earth and pepper. And still are.

Notes:
(1) 75 minutes burn time
(2) “Full bodied” smoke may be on the lighter side of “full”
(3) Quality construction and flavor

I would call this cigar a heavy medium or a "light full bodied" because I am a noob who smokes mediums, and Connecticuts, yet I have made it through this “full bodied” cigar. I have five versions of the Vegas line to explore, and so far I have not been disappointed. It may be considered “light’ by a seasoned smoker looking for a heavy full bodied cigar. But for me, an enjoyable smoking experience. Another fine cigar I simply can’t find a reason not to keep on hand. This one’s really up there !

Rating 4.9 out of 5 ( 98 % )
Bondo 287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #2
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough
Default Re: 5 on 5 review = 5 Vegas Miami / M5

Out of all of the 5 Vegas line, and I like them all, this is the only one that is on my very small puke list.

Can't stand these. To each their own tho, I'll send you all I get lol.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 07:34 AM   #3
Bondo 287
Runaway Train

First Name: Mikael
Trading: (0)
Cohiba
Bondo 287 will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwoodward View Post
Out of all of the 5 Vegas line, and I like them all, this is the only one that is on my very small puke list.

Can't stand these. To each their own tho, I'll send you all I get lol.
I have three or four extra of these M5 and the dark Madoro yet. I'll smoke another in a few days. If i like them enough, maybe we'll do a trade.

I had 5 different Vegas types so that's why I did the reviews. I lost the pictures for the torpedo though, I thought the torpedo was the worst actually. A very boring smoke.

Last edited by Bondo 287; 01-06-2013 at 07:41 AM.
Bondo 287 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
dwoodward
Gentlemen, you may smoke!

First Name: Derrick
Trading: (26)
HUpmann
dwoodward will become famous soon enoughdwoodward will become famous soon enough

My favorite is the 5 Vegas 'A' Triple A. It's a goodie. Pick up a stick if you can.
dwoodward is offline   Reply With Quote