Old 03-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #301
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

First Name: Mike
Trading: (53)
HUpmann
Ahbroody has disabled reputation
Default Re: Being a Hockey Parent

EJ is that an adult or jr stick with your girl?
The stick lie is different on jr and adult then youth so it may be wrong. Blade is longer so it might give false length setting. Not sure I cant tell from pic.

I still say longer stick at thos age. I dont care about stick handling. I want knees bent back straight head up.

http://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local...117735114.html

Know a lot of families with kids in this organization.
Ahbroody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:07 PM   #302
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

Trading: (21)
E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ahbroody View Post
EJ is that an adult or jr stick with your girl?
Youth.... Wouldn't spend any money on a nice Jr. stick until she can actually use it. It is easier to buy the youth stuff, because it doesn't cost any more(relatively). Paid $25ish more for that than the wood stick I just bought her.

I must have got cold feet when I was cutting and went long, because it is at her eyes without skates on right now. Will check this Sunday with the skates on.

Interesting stuff with that U16 game and the accusations. I am interested to see what is going to happen. If they already suspended the coaches, it appears that they are sure that the game was thrown. Must have been pretty obvious, as the other team just left the ice after the game... Bet this is a hornets nest for the league.
E.J. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 01:08 PM   #303
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

E.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the roughE.J. is a jewel in the rough

Last House League game for the Little Man this weekend.... Summer hockey should start in May, so we don't have that long of break....but it sucks all the same.
Old 03-11-2011, 01:37 PM   #304
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

The kids admitted the coaches told them to throw the game.
I found it really interssting as some of the families I know who have kids in that program bash the jr. Sharks coaching. That program and the Jr. Sharks are the two high level travel programs in the area. A lot of politics involved.

The blackhawks start travel play at mite jr sharks are against mite travel. The blackhawks tend to be the better teams early on. Some of their kids have made the nhl and some minors.
Old 03-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #305
Eleven
Solid As The Sun

First Name: Scott
Trading: (23)
Eleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura aboutEleven has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by E.J. View Post
Last House League game for the Little Man this weekend.... Summer hockey should start in May, so we don't have that long of break....but it sucks all the same.
My kid had his last regular games this past weekend, and Spring Hockey starts tomorrow!

He has Mid-Am tryouts in April I think, tryouts for next year also in April. We're sure he will make his team again, but he is trying out for another team as well, as encouraged by most of his coaches, past and present.

Assuming he makes his current team again, they start dry-land training immediately, and only take the month of July off.

In July, he has his regular hockey camp, and if he makes it through the Mid-Am tryouts, there is a camp for that in May in Pennsylvania.

We get less than 3 weeks in July of absolutely no hockey, that's it.

CA: putting the 'man' in bromance since 2008! --markem.
Eleven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2011, 02:32 PM   #306
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Im actually looking forward to those days. I must be sick.
Old 03-12-2011, 05:32 AM   #307
ahc4353

Mitch played his last game as a NJ Rocket on his home ice at Devils arena. Time to move on to college.

After the game ended he skated off and headed for the locker room. I stayed in the stands for a moment to think back on all the years of watching the both of them play. Next thing you know I see him show up on the ice, takes a skate and stops at the blue-line and just looks around. A moment by himself, on ice that he will never skate again. I wonder what was going through his head at that moment.

It's funny how some images will stay with you for the rest of your life.

That is one of those.
Old 03-12-2011, 08:37 AM   #308
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

As I read the last few posts.....It makes me smile and remember how fortunate we all are. Regardless of age or level, watching your children grow up on the ice is pretty stinking rewarding.

Al, you have a way of writing that makes me feel like I am there....and at the same time, wanting the clock to slow down on the few years the LM has left...... I look forward to hearing about the progression to Fitchburg.
Old 03-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #309
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Mitch played his last game as a NJ Rocket on his home ice at Devils arena. Time to move on to college.

After the game ended he skated off and headed for the locker room. I stayed in the stands for a moment to think back on all the years of watching the both of them play. Next thing you know I see him show up on the ice, takes a skate and stops at the blue-line and just looks around. A moment by himself, on ice that he will never skate again. I wonder what was going through his head at that moment.

It's funny how some images will stay with you for the rest of your life.

That is one of those.
Way to go jerk. Made my eyes well up and got a little lump in the throat.

Agreed EJ I am happy at the lessons hes learning already.

Micah scored one today at ice from his office in front of the net. His coach made him number 5 which is our designated D man as hes good at shutting down breakways. He stopped some rushes. Next thing you know hes getting shuffled on the bench to the 5 spot over and over. In a way I was proud he was given the job the bigger older kids get, in a way I was frustrated he was being prevented from getting scoring chances. No one scored when he played d.

Didnt have any issues with him hooking or tripping kids this week after we had a talk so thats good. Tomorrow he gets to play in the U10 house league again.

First Tball game today. Micah got the game ball. Played first and caught some throws to make legitimate outs which I guess is rare at this level. Boys a gamer.
Old 03-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #310
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Micah is still playing. Game monday 2 goals. Game Saturday 1 goal. The only goal his team scored. Uggggly game. He had a few breakaways he didn't score on. Laughed after one he shot into the goalies pads he slammed his stick on the ice and was obviously talking to himself. We didn't have our two other kids who are pretty good so he was trying hard.

Today we did the U10 game. The guy who runs that rinks mite travel team was on the ice during the game. He started feeding micah pucks on breakouts. After the game he came over to talk and micah got recruited for their mite team next year. I explained he's only 5 now and wont be 6 till Oct next year and had no real interest in having him travel at 6. He explained there are only 3 weekends they travel all season and its usually not to far. Explained still not to excited about traveling. There's two mite travel teams local, both are losely following the usa hockey adm. This is the lower one. I did tell him I wanted him to practice with the mite team and would let him play locally with the team. Micah is getting to practice with the mite team for the last month of the season for free. I asked him if he wanted to skate with mite travel kids. He was excited to put it mildly.
Old 03-21-2011, 07:41 AM   #311
icehog3
Admiral Douchebag

First Name: Tom
Trading: (60)
HUpmann
icehog3 has disabled reputation

Congrats to Micah!!

Thanks Dave, Julian, James, Kelly, Peter, Gerry, Dave, Mo, Frank, Týr and Mr. Mark!
icehog3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:33 PM   #312
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Micah played yesterday in the house league and got 2 more. He will hit 25 goals by years end. Should have him in the top five goal scorers for the year.

Today he practiced with the mite travel team.

Dad explained he was receiving a privilege on the way there and to not screw around and pay attention. Coach called them in and he got right up front.

He's right in his face. He skated well and did okay. He had issues on the more complex drills, but that's an age issue. Physically he was not out of place.

Funniest thing. As he steps off three ice and sits down on the bench his first words are do I have a game or practice tomorrow. Nope. What about the next day? Nope. Dejected look on the face. .
He loves the rink.

Ooooo. Tom he says thank you.

Last edited by Ahbroody; 03-22-2011 at 08:44 PM.
Old 03-22-2011, 11:31 PM   #313
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

EXCELLENT Mike.... Excited for both of you!
Old 04-03-2011, 06:29 PM   #314
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

The fun continues. Very possible Micah will skate more this summer then he did all year. Today Micah was given the chance to skate with the SC Blackhawks in their Mite Summer Skate program. Its a 1 hour practice with a half hour scrimmage after practice. This was a test run as he is the youngest kid by 1.5 years and does not meet the minimum age requirements. A buddy of mine pulled some strings to get him in. The wife came and she was beyond impressed with the structure and tempo of the practice. The little man got gassed at one point and needed a little pep talk, it after that he did fine. He scored a goal in the scrimage at the end.

He's the little guy obviously.

He's on the boards at the red stripe in this one. He was proud and happy at the end and wanted to continue coming. Signed him up.

He's also skating in the other clubs mite skate starting on Tuesdays soon.

We are debating a local hockey day camp this summer.

I was so damn proud of him. Many of the kids played mite travel this year and he held his own. I was not sure how he would do given the tempo and age difference.

Last edited by Ahbroody; 04-03-2011 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:06 PM   #315
E.J.
I'm nuts for the place

YES!!!!!!!!!! So excited for Micah, Mike.... Not as much for the accomplishment(not that that is bad), but for the ability to skate with this competition regularly... That is going to be going to be the win here....

GOOD FOR Micah!!!! My hear aches for your wallet the next 13ish years....
Old 04-03-2011, 08:19 PM   #316
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

The pocketbook is already hurting. This is 300 for 13 sessions. The other mite skate will likely be close to the same cost. Then there is the decision on the camp, and if we let him do summer hockey just games. The cool thing was the wife is onboard after watching him today and was open to the day camp in the summer which she was not sure about before.

Only odd thing was we got some looks when we entered the locker room before the skate do to the obvious age differences. Didn't get those looks after.

Ooooo and answer your damn text messages
Old 04-05-2011, 10:15 AM   #317
ahc4353

Quote:
The pocketbook is already hurting. This is 300 for 13 sessions. The other mite skate will likely be close to the same cost. Then there is the decision on the camp, and if we let him do summer hockey just games. The cool thing was the wife is onboard after watching him today and was open to the day camp in the summer which she was not sure about before.

Only odd thing was we got some looks when we entered the locker room before the skate do to the obvious age differences. Didn't get those looks after.

Ooooo and answer your damn text messages
Well Mike it's all over now. Just figure that all family vacations are hockey camps. Enjoy the car you have it's the last one for a long time. No more taking the wife out. Purchases like clothes are now done. And your headed for gas station cigars.

The time spent together and the memories it leaves are worth every sacrifice.

Enjoy the time my friend it will be gone before you know it.
Old 04-06-2011, 06:33 AM   #318
Wanger

Quote:
Today he practiced with the mite travel team.

I see a SIOUX jersey!

In some respects, I'd have loved it if my kids were interested in playing hockey, but with the cost, and the level of competetiveness here (mostly by the parents) in MN, I'm kind of glad they aren't. I was a hoops guy back when I was younger, but do kind of wish I had played hockey (I'd have been a goon, though).

Good luck to everyone and your kids in all their endeavors on and off the ice. You all seem like the right kind of hockey parents, from what I see here. Well, except you, Al.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:02 AM   #319
Ahbroody
Daddy x 4

HUpmann

Quote:
Originally Posted by ahc4353 View Post
Well Mike it's all over now. Just figure that all family vacations are hockey camps. Enjoy the car you have it's the last one for a long time. No more taking the wife out. Purchases like clothes are now done. And your headed for gas station cigars.

The time spent together and the memories it leaves are worth every sacrifice.

Enjoy the time my friend it will be gone before you know it.
Thanks Al. My wife made a comment about just the other day I was teaching him to skate. Funny at the start of the season she was against him playing at this level and wondered why I would want him to play travel. After that practice she was so proud of him and his skill already. I had to shush her in the parents area. She went from unsure to really wanting him to practice and eventually hopefully play with the Hawks because of the tempo and quality of the practice. Then she blurts out in the car we should start looking at RVs for instate travel while he's young. I had this wtf moment, she just went full hockey mom from pride. She's normally the grounded one.

As to the budget, yup I am already getting ready for the hell/joy of cash poor memory rich. We dont vacation really anyway and are homebodies so that shouldn't be a big deal. I am really glad there will be almost 6 years between our two sons. The cost would be near impossible if the little one takes after the older one.

Ooo and yeah its a Sioux Jersey. He also wears a St. Cloud Jersey as his black Jersey for practices. He's wearing it in the Sunday pics. Dad is a Sweater whore and he's always got cool ones.

Last edited by Ahbroody; 04-06-2011 at 11:10 AM.
Old 04-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #320
ahc4353

The RV is not a bad idea. Wished I would have done it. Thought about it years ago and never thought it would pay off. I just never had a clue how far they would take it. How wrong I was! I have never put a sharp pencil to what all the travel has cost (rooms - food from restaurants) us over the years (I don't really want to know . ) but it would have paid for one friggin nice RV!