Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 11-23-2009, 05:04 AM   #1
Don Fernando
Postwhore

First Name: Ferdinand
Trading: (29)
Army (Retired)
Don Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud ofDon Fernando has much to be proud of
Default Padron 1926 series 80th anniversary

Sorry, no pictures, I lost them during a hard disk crash before I could upload them.

This perfecto shaped 6.75 x 54 figurado was a cigar that I had high expectations from. The cigar is supposed to be fantastic, a theory that is supported by the outrageous price tag and the hype that comes with it. The wrapper is nice, dark and leathery, and the top of the cigar is a bit crooked.

The cigar isn't smoothly finished, I expected a smoother look from a highly praised and expensive product. The wrapper also has some veins running over it and to my surprise, I can slide the band straight of the cigar. The cigar feels well constructed though, and has a very nice dark chocolate aroma to it. The predraw is a bit on the hard side and gives a flavor that reminded me of chocolates and raisin.

I can taste a bitter coffee flavor with a hint of dark chocolate and after a few puffs also some cedar. The bitterness fades away after about half an inch and soon the coffee and chocolate disappear too. A herbal flavor joins the cedar wood flavor. The herbal flavor is the aftertaste

After an inch I can taste some hazelnuts with chocolate and herbs. Somewhere in the mid section of the cigar the nut flavor disappears and I can taste some mild creamy chocolate with a hint of coffee and a herbal aftertaste. The coffee and the chocolate are well balanced, the herbs support this, but slowly grow in strength until they become the dominant flavor and the coffee and chocolate are downgraded to supporting flavors and near the end disappear at all. All I can taste is a herbal taste with some pepper on the tongue, but the pepper disappears after I purge the cigars.

The cigar produces a lot of smoke, at first the smoke had a bit of a brown glare to it, but turned to completely white soon enough. The ash is granular, white and firm. The draw of this full flavored medium bodied cigar is just fine.

Would I buy this cigar again? Not for the price these are going for. I like the 40th anniversary better

Appearance: 7 / 10
Construction: 8 / 10
Draw: 7 / 10
Smoke & ash: 8 / 10
Burn: 9 / 10
Aroma (first part) 7 / 10
Aroma (middle part) 8 / 10
Aroma (last part) 8 / 10
Old 11-23-2009, 12:15 PM   #2
roughrider
Feeling at Home

Trading: (24)
roughrider is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Padron 1926 series 80th anniversary

Thanks for the review.
roughrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:09 PM   #3
heavyd
Adjusting to the Life

First Name: Dave
Trading: (22)
RA MarineCorps (Served With Honor)
heavyd has disabled reputation

Your reviews are always great, Don Fernando. I tune in every time I see your posts. Thanks

Padron has been getting a lot of heat recently...not sure what's going on with that, but I can honestly say that I've never had an anniversary Padron that disappointed in any way.

I do wish I could smoke one every day ...but not likely to happen

"You can't get to wonderful without passing through alright." ~Bill Withers
heavyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:15 PM   #4
MedicCook
Mila smoked my cigar

First Name: Ryan
Trading: (7)
LGC
MedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud ofMedicCook has much to be proud of

Thanks for the review Ferdie.

Since there are no pictures to show us, what were you watching while smoking this?