Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Misc > General Discussion

Old 05-20-2013, 10:40 AM   #1
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

First Name: Dan
Trading: (133)
Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of
Default Metal Detectors

Can anyone on here recommend a good all purpose metal detector? I bought some land in Indiana a couple years ago and I just want to walk in the woods and creek and see if I can find anything interesting on it. I don't know the 1st thing about metal detecting, so whatever you can share with me, I would appreciate it.
elderboy02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #2
equetefue
Liga Privada Hoarder

First Name: Edwin
Trading: (17)
Partagas AirForce (Disabled Vet)
equetefue has a spectacular aura aboutequetefue has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Metal Detectors

Dan, not sure if you are familiar with metal detecting laws, but it can get quite complicated. I wanted to get into the hobbie, but became too much of a hastle before I even started.

Anyways from my research back then the Garrett AT Pro was a great one but a tad $$

http://www.metal-detecting-ghost-tow...ctinglaws.html
equetefue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:23 PM   #3
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar
elderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud ofelderboy02 has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by equetefue View Post
Dan, not sure if you are familiar with metal detecting laws, but it can get quite complicated. I wanted to get into the hobbie, but became too much of a hastle before I even started.

Anyways from my research back then the Garrett AT Pro was a great one but a tad $$

http://www.metal-detecting-ghost-tow...ctinglaws.html
I own the 22 acres that I will be detecting on
Old 05-20-2013, 02:01 PM   #4
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

For the kind of detecting I do, I always did OK with the plain ole Bounty Hunter line.
But for people who want to see deep (I don't wanna DIG DEEP), White's and Garrett make
about the best models there are.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Quote:
Originally Posted by OLS View Post
For the kind of detecting I do, I always did OK with the plain ole Bounty Hunter line.
But for people who want to see deep (I don't wanna DIG DEEP), White's and Garrett make
about the best models there are.
Which Bounty Hunter model do you have?
Old 05-21-2013, 10:35 AM   #6
elderboy02
Lets Go Buckeyes!

Bolivar

Update: Here is what I bought: http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-F2-Meta...ords=fisher+f2

Hopefully it will be good.
Old 05-21-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
AdamJoshua
Article 4 Free Inhabitant

First Name: The Other Adam
Trading: (40)
Bolivar Army (Served With Honor)
AdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud ofAdamJoshua has much to be proud of

I owned a Fisher many years ago, growing up on the beach in FL it was always something fun to do, never found anything really good, but had many friends that found pieces of bracelets, rings and even a couple silver pieces of eight after some of the bigger storms.

Happy hunting Dan!
AdamJoshua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:24 AM   #8
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold

Congrats skinny....I have that exact model. My original Bounty Hunter was kind of lacking something,
and I upgraded (not much) to that model. It has about the same sensitivity, but is generally better
performing I have found. I had a Pioneer EX in the Bounty Hunter line. I generally like the BH's way of
doing things better, but the Fisher wins in the end. For one I do not like the ground reset procedure
on the Fisher. I loved it on the BH. As the morning temp came up and it started to wig out a little bit,
resetting ground sensitivity was a snap. But I settled for the new Fisher way over the months that
ensued after the upgrade. Gotta live with it or leave it in the closet.

Oh and that pinpointer that you likely used to put that Fisher into the research lead, it was a mistake
if you chose the Fisher over another available model in your price range because you wanted the hole
pinpointer. It can't pinpoint a smell near my a55. If you TOUCH metal with it, it might react. But then
again, it might not. Still a good budget metal detector, but a terrible pinpointer. Not worth the batteries
it takes to turn it on.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 12:49 PM   #9
gettysburgfreak
Patriot

Trading: (2)
RA
gettysburgfreak will become famous soon enoughgettysburgfreak will become famous soon enough

I have a basic Garrett. Works good, no problems at all with it. Have had it for 4 years.
Old 06-26-2017, 06:59 PM   #10
Steve
Dad Jokester Supreme

First Name: Steve
Trading: (6)
HdM
Steve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud ofSteve has much to be proud of

Anyone doing this these days? I have wanted a metal detector since I was a kid, but with options ranging from a RadioShack Special at $49.99 to units well over the rainbow, I would love some current information (last post was from 2013, I'm sure there have been advancements since then )

Thanks!