Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Non Cigar Specialty Forums > Pipe Forum > Discussion

Old 03-10-2009, 05:00 PM   #1
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

First Name: M.J.
Trading: (76)
Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold
Default RYO...with Pipe Tobacco?

I've never tried RYO so I dont exactly know the physics behind it or the cost, but I wondered of an interesting way to smoke for the short time between classes. Yes, I could buy cigarillos or minature cigars, but this can add up a bit, plus RYO sounds more fun. Yes, I could try to find a small pipe to msoke out of, but once again, IMHO-not as fun.
So, for those of you who might be experience with RYO...how would this work? I assume its possible to RYO with Pipe Tobacco, but is it a good idea?
-MJ
Old 03-10-2009, 05:54 PM   #2
Snake Hips
Götterdämmerung

First Name: Tyler
Trading: (10)
Bolivar
Snake Hips will become famous soon enough
Default Re: RYO...with Pipe Tobacco?

One of the guys at my B&M did this once. He actually liked it, so it might be fun to give it a try.
Snake Hips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 06:05 PM   #3
robertw1249

if your going to try it you better stock up on it befor april 1 with the new tax its going up all most 25.00 dollars a pound that is just the new fed tax
Old 03-10-2009, 08:26 PM   #4
ghostrider
Ridin the storm

First Name: Drew
Trading: (4)
Bolivar CoastGuard (Active)
ghostrider is on a distinguished road

I've done this in the past. If nothing else, just as a quick way of sampling the tobacco before commiting to a large batch of it. Just a warning though, not like commercial cigarettes, you do have to keep puffing on it to keep it lit, just like you would in a pipe.
ghostrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 08:27 PM   #5
DrDubzz
Formerly RX2010

First Name: Tim
Trading: (34)
Bolivar AirForce (Active)
DrDubzz has a spectacular aura aboutDrDubzz has a spectacular aura about

a black and mild is a pipe tobacco cigar... all you need is a wrapper and some little mouth pieces
DrDubzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
MithShrike

I've been using Squadron Leader as RYO tobacco for quite some time. Maybe once every two weeks in the morning before work I'll spark one up. It tastes much better than commercial cigarettes that's for sure.
Old 03-11-2009, 11:30 AM   #7
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Emjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to beholdEmjaysmash is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the help guys. Any recommendations on papers that wont ruin the flavor of the tobacco?
Old 03-17-2009, 10:15 AM   #8
Emjaysmash
The Hebrew Hammer

Papers? any suggestions?
Old 03-17-2009, 11:43 AM   #9
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future

To RYO w/pipe tobacco, you has best let it dry out a bit, especially if you are thinkin of using some of they stuff you got last night. It is easy to do, spread it out and let it air dry for a bit. I have also found that cutting up with a sharp knife into smaller pieces makes for an easier roll.

As for papers, what's available at Boss's for cheap? And an inexpensive roller is a good investment. If you get the roller, make sure you get papers that are as wide as the roller.
Old 03-17-2009, 12:21 PM   #10
Pat1075
Feeling at Home

First Name: Patrick
Trading: (11)
HUpmann
Pat1075 is on a distinguished road

I roll my own cigarettes and personally like a paper called abadie it comes in a stupid looking pink pack but has no paper flavor and is easy to hand roll with. as to tobacco try fine cut #4 (strong german stuff) or sagamore platinum (pure gold virginian, very light). If you want to go the pipe tobac route with ryo definitely buy a roller and just go with what you like.
Pat1075 is offline   Reply With Quote