Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum  

Go Back   Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum > Cigar Forums > Island (The other ones) Reviews

Old 03-28-2010, 06:32 PM   #1
danreeve
Feeling at Home

First Name: Dan
Trading: (2)
danreeve has a spectacular aura aboutdanreeve has a spectacular aura about
Default El Triunfador #6

So I'm finally here with the last vitola review in the El Triunfador line from Pete Johnson series. Today I smoked the most different in appearance of the entire line, the #6. This is a long review, so I want to keep this intro section short. On with the smoke...

Specifics

Vitola: Lancero
Length: 7 1/2
Ring Gauge: 38
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Habano
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Nicaragua
Price: $8.10 (when bought in boxes of 25)
Smoking Location: House of Cigar, Columbus, Ohio
Beverage: Coke

Pre-Light
The El Triunfador #6 does not come in cello like all the other cigars in this line. It is perhaps because of this that pre-lit aroma on my cigar was very weak.What I did smell was a slight, sweet tobacco scent but it was very weak. Also, the #6 is not box-pressed like all the others so aside from the obvious difference with the length, the cigar feels much different in your hand. To complete the differences in appearance against the rest of the line, the #6 has a pig-tailed cap. The wrapper was a nice, even chocolate brown and had a lot small veins running all over it. This cigar was a bit more rugged looking then the other El Triunfadors. The pig-tailed cap clipped easily and the pre-lit draw was interesting. I got similar flavor notes as from the other El Triunfadors, but I also picked up something that tasted like raisins. This was something very different and took me by surprise.

First Third
My El Triunfador #6 started out with a really rich cream flavor mixed with some warm wood notes and a flavor that I had almost forgotten about from a previous El Triunfador vitola -- anise. The cigar produced a lot of smoke for its small ring gauge and the ash held tight for about an inch. There was a interesting profile to the ash. When on the cigar, the ash looked nice and firm. But once dropped into the ashtray, the ash crumbled into a pile of dust. Not a big deal and it didn't take away from the cigar, it was just a difference worth noting. Burning through the first third of my #6, the flavors only intensified and were really starting to blend nicely. The warm wood flavors balanced out the bite of the anise and the cream kept your palate feeling cool and refreshed. The body on the cigar was mild, perhaps the mildest of the line.

Second Third

After dropping the ash to start the second third of my El Triunfador #6, the cigar went out. This was the only construction problem I had with this stick and, once re-lit, the cigar continued to burn perfectly all the way to the nub. After the re-light most of the anise flavors dissipated, but in its place, I started to pick up that familiar white pepper taste that I have gotten in almost all of the El Triunfadors. In the flavor blend, the refreshing cream notes were still there, as well as the woodiness, but the white pepper addition really added a bit of strength. The body of the cigar picked up to a medium. Throughout the second third, the flavors were very strong and really enjoyable. This was a relaxing cigar, but also one that kept my interest with complex tastes.

Final Third and Final Thoughts
The final third of my El Triunfador #6 was amazing. I was getting all of the flavors I had experienced in the first two thirds with the white pepper, the cream, the anise, the woodiness (which was now bordering on sweet cedar) and, if that wasn't enough, a peppermint note started to creep in. All of these flavors blended perfectly for me, not one of them overpowered the rest. The finish on the cigar was relaxing and cool, never once with any harshness. I smoked this stick until my fingers burned. The body was the same medium from the second third with the smoke volume never weakening from the first puff to the nub.

Final thoughts:
Before I smoked this El Triunfador #6 I was ready to crown the #3 the best of the bunch. Well, I would have been wrong because, in my opinion, this stick is the king of the line. I could smoke this cigar everyday and I don't think I would tire of it. The flavors are strong and blend perfectly to create a relaxing yet exciting smoking experience.

Thanks: Thanks goes out to all my readers who went with me on this journey through the El Triunfador line. I had a lot of fun smoking the different sizes, seeing just how different the experiences were within the line. A special thanks goes out to anyone who left me a comment on any of these posts because I value feedback highly as a way to improve my reviews. And, finally, a VERY special thanks goes out to Dan at New Havana Cigars for providing me the opportunity to smoke all of these cigars. If you would like to purchase any of the El Triunfador cigars, please visit my sponsor New Havana Cigars and tell them Crooked Burn sent you.

for more pictures please visit http://crookedburn.blogspot.com/

Dan
Old 03-28-2010, 07:17 PM   #2
longknocker
Postwhore

First Name: Greg
Trading: (82)
Cohiba
longknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant futurelongknocker has a brilliant future
Default Re: El Triunfador #6

Great Review, Dan! Sounds Like My Kind Of Stick! How Long Do You Recommend Resting These?
longknocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #3
danreeve
Feeling at Home

I got this one the day they arrived at New Havana cigars, Feb. 28th. and I smoked it today march 28th heh. So a month? I don't think they need much rest if any.

thanks for reading.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
issues
Have My Own Room

First Name: Tony
Trading: (8)
VR
issues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the roughissues is a jewel in the rough

I can't believe I missed the review!

So the #6 is the winner, I kind of thought it might go that way.

Now I just have to find some room in the humidor and some funds to grab a box ASAP!
issues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2010, 10:23 AM   #5
danreeve
Feeling at Home

can't go wrong with any of them, but aim for the 6 or the 3 IMO. Thanks for reading.

Dan